Spun journal repair for roller bearings

bradsan

I'm staring at a differential carrier that was about to go back in the rear end of a '52 Chev before I noticed that one of the carrier bearings had spun on its journal.

Everywhere I searched on the internet said the carrier is junk and to toss it. I did find one post that suggested dimpling the journal and using Loctite 630 but, wouldn't you know it , someone already got there before me and the journal was dimpled! No Loctite found however, maybe it didn't exist when they repaired it and most likely that is why it failed again

Having access to a FRM ( favourite retired machinist) I'm wondering if the is any reason not to turn the journal down and resleeve it. Some posts talked about the carrier being hardened but my thought is that it would be just be high strength steel . The journal is just provides for a friction fit and doesn't actually take any wear. The bearing is what takes all of the wear and that is why it is hardened.

Could try and find another carrier but the machinist is close and would be less work.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Brad