Electrical tip of General Nature

60FlatTop

I have noticed that sometimes diagnostics can be elusive to collector status Buick owners. Seems like I can usually relate an experience and even poke around the garage and find evidence. When I was growing up my Dad would sometimes point out the wrong things my Grandfather (his stepfather) did as a learning opportunity for me. I'm reminded of that from time to time.

I was looking for an old fuel hose that gave an owner fits and came across this little treasure:

post-46237-143141916337_thumb.jpg

That wire was on a vintage SCCA race car that I rewired years ago. It went from the fuel pump switch to the electric fuel pump. It is about 18" long and had 6 splices of various types.

The car was a 1958 so the Korean War was over and copper was back in substantial supply. I made an innovative "one piece" replacement.

Look for this kind of stuff BEFORE your car has problems on the road. If it doesn't look right it probably isn't. Take a picture and put it up to question.

Bernie

post-46237-143141916324_thumb.jpg

post-46237-143141916332_thumb.jpg

post-46237-143141916335_thumb.jpg

I know where Crayville is. If I hadn't stayed in the Red Ranch Motel near Catskill, NY for three nights I wouldn't believe what you wrote. Since I have the pictures I might as well list the wire on the Catskill Craigslist.

Bernie

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Caribou
I have noticed that sometimes diagnostics can be elusive to collector status Buick owners. Seems like I can usually relate an experience and even poke around the garage and find evidence. When I was growing up my Dad would sometimes point out the wrong things my Grandfather (his stepfather) did as a learning opportunity for me. I'm reminded of that from time to time.

I was looking for an old fuel hose that gave an owner fits and came across this little treasure:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]194854[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]194855[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]194856[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]194857[/ATTACH]

That wire was on a vintage SCCA race car that I rewired years ago. It went from the fuel pump switch to the electric fuel pump. It is about 18" long and had 6 splices of various types.

The car was a 1958 so the Korean War was over and copper was back in substantial supply. I made an innovative "one piece" replacement.

Look for this kind of stuff BEFORE your car has problems on the road. If it doesn't look right it probably isn't. Take a picture and put it up to question.

Bernie

This is where I stalled on my project. For the last year or so I've been going through every wire in the car, because every last one of them looks like that... or worse.

Swapped a couple harnesses out for old but more intact copies, and fixed some splicing where I couldn't find new harnesses. I haven't yet had the time or expertise to finish. I'm still chasing some weird ground issues, the electrical is behaving as though it's possessed by ghosts. Awful finnicky stuff wiring.