Help identifying engine please - said to be 1917 Marmon "racing motor"

Whilst volunteering at our local historic park, I was approached by a fellow who currently has the motor out of his grandfather's early race car. <P>The story in the family, as this engine has passed between members, is that it's a 1917 Marmon racing motor, which powered some now-unknown brand of chassis. There are no known photos of the car, and this fellow is unsure of the time period.<P>I went to have a look at the engine, but was only able to get a few details and no photos, as it was partially crated and wedged between larger objects. Here is what I found:<P>Inline six, overhead valves under a (missing) cover. Cylinder head is 33" long. Intake and exhaust on RH side of engine, water heated intake manifold. Left side of engine has the generator drive near the front, driving through to a missing item, presumably the magneto/distributor. There is a "Delco Control Box" mounted above the generator. The flywheel diameter is 16.5". Missing besides the rocker cover and magneto/distributor are the carburetor and exhaust manifold.<P>If the engine truely is a 1917 Marmon, then according to the Standard Catalog for 1805-1942 it was rated at 34 hp and has "an advanced overhead valve design" with aluminum pushrods(!) and cylinder head.<P>Can anyone confirm the identification or offer additional clues or comment? Thank you.

First thing you need to do is find out what the stock engine looks like. Then find out what was modified to make it a "race" engine. They raced all kinds of things in the 1920's so it may be out of an old race car. Tracing the history of a complete car is difficult at times, and just an engine is almost impossible.

The engine as described is very consistent with the Marmon Model 34A engine from 1917. If it is, the missing component on the left side is the magneto/distributor assembly. This basic engine was used from 1916 through 1927 with some modifications. Marmon engines have frequently been a choice for racers, from the one used in the Marmon Wasp which won the first Indy 500 in 1911 up through the 16 cylinder engine which was used in various racers. The best way to identify the engine is to locate the serial number. If it is on the crankcase casting at the left front side of the engine and does not have a letter prefix, you are real close to a Marmon. If you can get the number, we can get closer to ID. The Marmon Club has a lot of good info on these vehicles and can be contacted through me by replying to this thread. Besides identification is there something else you are looking for. smile.gif" border="0

Thank you Ron for your input. I will try to get a serial number next time I'm in his town, now that I know where to look for it.<P>The custodian of this engine appreciates its history within the family, but would prefer to have the garage space. I am considering aquiring it for a future speedster project, but if there is a specific need for this unit within the Marmon group that may be a better approach.

Chris, Please don't let this engine, if indeed it is a Marmon 34 engine, remain in a situation where the history will be lost and it eventually ends up as scrap. If you decide to let someone in The Marmon Club get their hands on it, let me know. As the Editor of The Marmon News, I have the contacts to find a good home for it. While you are visiting your friend, ask for more information on the history. I believe you said it had been used in a race car. Sounds to me like a good story for our newsletter. Also, please get some photos. Thanx - Father Ron