ANYONE HAVE INFO ON HERSCHELL-SPILLMAN ENGINES Made in N. Tonawanda, NY circa 1912-1914?

Guest brass-is-class

Guest brass-is-class

Looking for info, sales catalog, ads or copies of same, of the Herschell-Spillman T-Head Six Cylinder Engines. They had two jugs cast in triplet. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks! Gary Smith, sasgjs@gmail.com

Hi Gary, there have been many discussions about these engines here on the AACA forums over the past several years. I suggest an extended search of past threads. Just out of my inattention to your Moyer, does it have a Herschell-Spillman engine? American underslung collectors are always on the prowl for these. Bob Barrett in Angola (?) has two of these cars and may have some info also. Are you coming east this summer? If so, I will be looking forward to our visit.--Bob

Guest T-Head

post-65489-143141914884_thumb.jpg

Gary, The only ads I could find for 1914 were repeats of the earlier ones. The first photo from The Motor shows and article about a new

three piece piston they developed. The last article tells of the coming of the firms new V-8.

post-65489-143141914875_thumb.jpg

Guest brass-is-class
[ATTACH=CONFIG]194663[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]194664[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]194702[/ATTACH]

Gary, I found one ad from December 1912. The second one is dated February 1913.

The large third ad is dated March 1913.

Thanks David! Appreciate it! Love your website. I'll contact you about putting up some Moyer Automobile photos if you're interested. Have a great Memorial weekend!

Gary Smith

Guest brass-is-class

Bob, thanks very much for the info! I'll check it out. Appreciate the help!

Gary Smith

Guest brass-is-class
Hi Gary, there have been many discussions about these engines here on the AACA forums over the past several years. I suggest an extended search of past threads. Just out of my inattention to your Moyer, does it have a Herschell-Spillman engine? American underslung collectors are always on the prowl for these. Bob Barrett in Angola (?) has two of these cars and may have some info also. Are you coming east this summer? If so, I will be looking forward to our visit.--Bob

Hi Bob! Will do! Thanks for the post! Yes! We are leaving Monday to go back to NY for the summer. Hope to see you at the Bloomfield Show!

- Gary

Guest brass-is-class
I have a Herschell-Spillman carousel giraffe, if that helps.:)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]195131[/ATTACH]

Very nice Barry! Did you "borrow" it from the 1913 Herschell-Spillman Carousel at Greenfield Village? ; ) On another note my Herschell-Spillman engine is 38 H.P., Not 38 G.P.! LOL! Thanks for sharing! - Gary

The giraffe on the carousel at GV we call Stoic, because they didn't carve it with a smile. Ours is named "Happy". It's from a 1915 carousel that we believe was installed somewhere near Toledo, but in Michigan.

Do you know why so few carousel animals survive?

BTW, that was a great visual of 38 giraffes teamed to pull something.

Guest T-Head

"Stayed tuned in" as they used to say, as we will have a feature post on The Old Motor all about Herschell-Spillman that contains many great images.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest brass-is-class
"Stayed tuned in" as they used to say, as we will have a feature post on The Old Motor all about Herschell-Spillman that contains many great images.

Saw it! Great Post David on H-S history!

- Gary

Guest brass-is-class
The giraffe on the carousel at GV we call Stoic, because they didn't carve it with a smile. Ours is named "Happy". It's from a 1915 carousel that we believe was installed somewhere near Toledo, but in Michigan.

Do you know why so few carousel animals survive?

BTW, that was a great visual of 38 giraffes teamed to pull something.

Glad you liked that mental picture Barry! Didn't know about stoic vs. happy figures. I learn something new everyday!

I'm not sure why so many carousel animals didn't survive, unless its because carousels were scraped like old cars for the war effort during WWII. Maybe they just rotted from neglect or people bought them or took them prior to scrapping the metal parts. Could there still be some hidden in barns, garages and living rooms? No idea. You probably are aware of the Herschell-Spillman carousel Museum in North Tonawanda, NY. They might have some great info on this.

- Gary