Judging questons

AJFord54

I have the tags that attach to the radiator, radio, heater, etc. that were used when the car arrived at the dealership and sold to the customer. I am assuming they are acceptable for display during judging - correct?

I am also assuming that mirrors located underneath to show the cleanliness of the vehicle are a no-no - correct on this question?

Thanks!

Yes, the tags would be an appropriate display item.

AACA generally discourages cluttering the showfield with unnecessary objects such as the mirrors. I would encourage you to leave the mirrors at home.

Hi AJ. :) Thank you very much for your kind words. I honestly do try to help.

The reason I asked whether it was your first National Meet was based on your question about the mirrors. That is something that is commonly done at local shows and especially seen at mixed shows where there are vehicles that have been modified, street rods and hot rods. I was going to mention that things like the E-Z Up tents, roped off areas around the vehicles are also prohibited. There again, something commonly found at local shows and cruise-ins.

Regarding the headlight deduction, yes this year they changed the guidelines when it comes to both non-matching headlights and Halogen headlights in vehicles where they were not a factory option or factory installed. The new deduction for non-matching headlights is now three points. And the deduction for the Halogen headlights as described above is also three points.

And brand doesn't matter as long as they match within an era. An example of this is that you don't want to mix GE headlights with General Electric headlights. Same brand but two different eras. :rolleyes:

Also, make sure to take off any non-authentic items like license plate frames if they did not come from the factory or were in the factory accessory catalog for the year, make and model of your vehicle (even the one that the dealership might have put on. They are considered advertising and not allowed without a deduction) and non-authentic plates on the front with your name on it or somewhere you visited, a painting of your pet, etc. You don't want to give away even one point because that one point can possible keep you from getting that First Junior you are seeking. Be sure to bring any documentation you have just incase the Team Captain comes to you with a question from one of his/her judges.

Relax and enjoy.

Edited by Shop Rat
Insert paragraphs. Thanks Matt Hinson. (see edit history)

Another area where points are often deducted is hose clamps. Make sure your hose clamps are the same as what was originally on your car or at least period correct. Also tire valve stem caps. Before some date they were always metal. Don't have my Judging Guidelines here so I don't remember exactly what year plastic caps first came into use. Good Luck!

Hi AJ. :) I apologize that this will be a block of words, but for some reason this forum will not let me create paragraphs anymore.

Sorry for the hijack, but Susan, read this thread:

http://forums.aaca.org/f169/internet-explorer-10-a-351974.html

It will help you understand a setting change that you can make to fix your issue.

From page 25 of 2013 Judging Manual

6. Cadmium plated spark plugs. First year - 1956.

So looks like you need blued (black) plugs. Since they are not all that easy to find they accept using a permeant black marker to cover Cadmium plating if neatly applied.

No problem. Judges and Team Captains need to help owners get it right by offering suggestion and advice when appropriate. As I have said many times, yes the scores are confidential and we can't share those, but this is not a secret handshake hobby. If an owner doesn't get the award they are seeking they can write to the VP of Class Judging and get a highlighted copy of the judging sheet which will show where at least major points were taken off. Any owner can get a copy of the judging sheet by going to the current guidelines on the Main page of the AACA website under Publications and printing off a copy. Walk around the vehicle and judge your own vehicle.

Perfect and correct for the year, make and model items are of course a 0 deduction. Read the legend at the bottom to understand what a circled deduction amount means, what * means and what ** means when they are in the column that addresses deductions.

The only time all points are taken off is if the component is missing, incorrect for the year, make and model of the vehicle it is on or if the component is in such bad shape it cannot be used for it's intended function. Everything else is like a rating: good, fair, poor.

And ALWAYS make sure you have a fully charged fire extinguisher for each and every vehicle you bring. You are not allowed to move the extinguisher from vehicle to vehicle, you are not allowed to borrow one from your neighbor. Not having a fully charged fire extinguisher is a MANDATORY DISQUALIFICATION. No exceptions.

Edited by Shop Rat (see edit history)

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but, I've got a judging question for AACA. I'm thinking of bringing my 1915 Ford T with me to Hershey this year and would like some info. The wheels, hubs, valve stems, are correct, but, the car came from the factory with Firestone smooth white tires that are no longer reproduced. From a judging standpoint, should I use the correct smoothies that have cracks all over them (look great until you get close), or the black treaded Universal tires that were a common replacement tire, even in the teens?

Hello ModelTMike. Welcome to the forums. It would be best to start a new thread with your question. It will get more responses to the question that you have about the tires. Otherwise people will think that the additional comments are in regard to the original post. You also might want to scroll down to the Model T Discussion Forum and check there about possible sources for correct tires that others might know about.

• 4 months later...
Guest bonno5id

Also, make sure to take off any non-authentic items like license plate frames if they did not come from the factory or were in the factory accessory catalog for the year, make and model of your vehicle (even the one that the dealership might have put on. They are considered advertising and not allowed without a deduction) and non-authentic plates on the front with your name on it or somewhere you visited, a painting of your pet, etc. You don't want to give away even one point because that one point can possible keep you from getting that First Junior you are seeking. Be sure to bring any documentation you have just incase the Team Captain comes to you with a question from one of his/her judges.

I need a little help about license plates.My original plates have not been cleared yet and am running on 4 inch temporary operating permit from the state of California that is a different number than the original plate until cleared. How do I handle that? I am guessing I will have no frames or plates.I have the temp taped to the back window by law.Do i leave it or remove when arriving to the judging area? Thanks for your time and help. This will be my first event in Palm Springs this weekend. Jim

Guest bonno5id
Remove it and clean the tape residue off. You'll be good to go.

but what about not having any plates or frames? Any point deductions? Thanks Jim

A license plate is not required for judging. It did not come from the factory with a license plate, so it is not required for judging. Having a license plate (as required by law for operation on the road) will not result in a deduction but the lack of a plate also will not result in a deduction.

Guest billybird

IMHO, mirrors would be { i'm searching for the right word } tacky at an AACA National meet. This is like a first class organization. We assume most vehicles on a National show field would at least be respectable underneath. I know there are exceptions. Just my opinion.

IMHO, mirrors would be { i'm searching for the right word } tacky at an AACA National meet. This is like a first class organization. We assume most vehicles on a National show field would at least be respectable underneath. I know there are exceptions. Just my opinion.

Maybe I missed something, but where did anybody ask anything about mirrors?