Sign in to follow this  
Joe Cozza

Funny horn wire on my 31 DH

Hi All,

While replacing the wiring harness and cleaning the clum switch I thought why not replace the horn wire since it was pretty crappy.I noticed that the wire is crimped the whole length of the steering column to the horn button. I've tried to attached some pictures, but couldn't.I'll keep trying.In the mean time

does anybody have any ideas of why this was done?

Thanks,

Joe C.

Joe, I'm thinking the wire may have caught somehow at one end and got coiled up tight while turning the wheel at some point in time, then "un-wound" to a point which would possibly leave the wire looking like that. I've never seen anything like that before either! Very strange indeed. ---Pete.

The wire in my '31 was not like that....sounds like the twisting scenario may be correct.

Hi,

I wasn't able to photograph it, but there are impressions on the wire as if the wire was crimped intentionally. My guess is that the wire was shaped like that to give resistance in the tube where it would stop the wire from creeping up and lifting the little brass piece it's soldered to and make contact with the horn button unintentionally. I know that's a possibilty because I inadvertently created that contact by feeding the replacement wire up through from the clum switch on my other 31 DH when I replaced those wires and I don't remember the old wire being like that. I just had a thought,the wire in question came from my later 31 and they made some changes during that model year. I wonder if that was one of them?

Joe C.

Dick Taylor will be rewiring his early '32DL. Maybe he'll find something similar.

Phil, I have a 2ft. section left. I'll have to make it a point to bring it the next time we get together or at Hershey.I'll like to have someone else look at the wire.

Joe C.