1923 Buick

Guest Corkcab

Guest Corkcab

Hi Folks

Hope somebody can help. We have a 1923 4 cyclinder Buick that we are planning on restoring.

For a start we could do with a full timber kit, roof irons & a front pillar. We are not sure what model the car is so I'll try to send some pics.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Corkcab

post-93498-143141910093_thumb.jpg

post-93498-143141910097_thumb.jpg

post-93498-1431419101_thumb.jpg

Hello and welcome to the forum. I hope you consider joining the BCA if you are not yet a member.

I am afraid you will not find a wood kit for this car, or any Buick. However, from what I can see, the wood should be good enough to use to make replacement wood.

John

• Like 1

Guest Corkcab

Hi John

No not a member yet but I wouldnt mind joining. Thanks for the reply, we though that we might be able to replace the timber as its bad or missing in parts including one door.

Can you tell me what model it is as we dont have any documentation.

We are also missing all roof irons & one windshield arm. Could also do with complete interior

Thanks

Welcome to the forum

I note you are in Ireland and the steering wheel is on the right side . The body may or may not be the same as in USA

BCA link as in my signature below

You might find a tag on the firewall. In the US this is on the right side when sitting i nthe car facing front. However, you may have a Canadian built McLaughlin Buick which has some variances to a Buick of the same year. It also seems that there may be solid metal at the back of the front seat which is a little strange, so this may be some special bodied car (or possibly home made). More pictures might show that better.

There should also be a Vehicle ID Number on a small plate on the frame rail near the fron wheel. Again on the same side as noted above, but with RH drive, it may be different.

John

That should be a model 35 - four cylinder four door touring. In that era, if it was a McLaughlin Buick, that ought to show on the radiator emblem. It should be a 109" wheelbase.

Good luck with the car - it is definitely neat and I imagine it would be fairly unique across the pond.

Guest Rob McDonald

Just curious: is the sheet metal shrouding on this engine normal for '23 Buicks? If so, it would probably be transitioning from the earlier open valve train - which gives me such a kick to watch - and the sealed, more durable valve cover that came a bit later, I guess. Interesting that the engine side cover also wraps around the ends. Looks like it would all have to come off, for any servicing. Bit of a pain but it must have kept the insides cleaner than when everything was open to view.

A couple of other strange things:

! - Door handle locations. To me, they are a bit lower than I would expect.

2 - Does the cowl not seem a bit longer?

I hope we get someone with a '23 on this so they can tell this owner for sure what he has. I am thinking either a recognized coach builder, or a one off built. The rasiator tag could have been swapped fro the McLaughlin one, or the steering wheeel changed with this work. Either way, this was need to be researched. Hope we hear more. I would search real hard for a spot where an established coach building left a tag. Is there any was to track the old Registry as I believe England has all the owners documented for a particular plate.

John

John

Corkcab,

I suggest we move this inquiry to the Pre-War Buick section. I hope I can get the moderator to do it. There are likely more pre-War owners that can help you there.

As to these latest photos, is that possibly some sort of ID tag on the left end of the instrument panel?

This may have been an individual import and conversion. THe headlights look like they may be Buick, while any custom body made in the UK would most likely have English lights (most likely Lucas). I see there is a hole for cowl lights . Do you have them?

It would be good to get photos of the rear seat area after the stuff inside is moved.

John

First, my thanks to Mark Shaw for sharing this with me as I do not go out the General Forum that often.

Agree with John that this should move to the Pre War Forum for more input.

My first comment on 4 cylinder Buicks is very few parts from the entire 4 cylinder line of Buicks fit or interchange with the 6 cylinder Buick line. So as you look for/find parts, be careful, they often do not interchange.

Nothing wrong with a 4 cylinder Buick, just geared a little lower. The 4 is actually ahead of the 6 in 1923 in terms of design advancements (removeable head being one). Remember the person who bought a 4 new could have bought ~two model T's for the same $$. The person buying the 6 Buick could have bought ~3 Model T's for the same money. With export, this was most likely even higher because I believe they were making Fords in Europe by then cheaply but all Buicks came from Flint, Michigan and all McLaughlin Buicks from Oshawa, Ontario, Canada.

There is a good chance this could be a McLaughlin (Canandian) export Buick. The fire wall tag is the clue and they exported a great number of 4 cylinder cars.

Agree with the comments on joining the BCA. You might just be surpised who lives by you and is a member.

My other thought is what are your 'hard spots' as in, what are the major items you need to address? Perhaps the wood? Engine running? Missing major components? List those here AND in the Buick Bugle (for free) when you join.

And ask away. Lots of combined knowledge here to help.

Guest Corkcab

Hi Brian and everybody who replied,

Thanks for your help. The car is stored in a garage about 20 miles away from where I am so I'll go and check on the items raised.

We are in Ireland and not many Buicks around here. Engine is running so all we need are body parts All we have is what in the pictures so we need left hanf side windscreen pillar, full roof irons and cover. Full interior, we were hoping to get full timber kit but I'm told that this is not available. There no floor in the back so should this timber.

We are short 2 back doors, hinges & locks we could possibly make these if we knew size & shape. Clasps for holding bonnet.

that will do for moment lol.

I must see how to join

Regards

Guest Corkcab

I got somebody to take a few pics so Ive attached some. Ill go and get some more info tomorrow.

post-93498-143141913843_thumb.jpg

Thanks

post-93498-143141913838_thumb.jpg

post-93498-143141913841_thumb.jpg

Guest Corkcab

Badge isnt that clear

I think what it says is

Model 25 35 REO7596

Engine No 1056434

Does it make sense

Regards

Guest Corkcab

Hi Brian

I took some more pics over last weekend , but not sure if I should post them here or should I wait until I'm moved to pre war section.

In the meantime there is a badge on the dash which says "Howard Motors Co Ltd Motor Car Dist, Adelaide St, Brisbane & on housing behind engine block is, what we think, is 157 300-1

Ive joined club so I expect that I'll be hearing from committee in the coming weeks.

Regards

Noel

Guest Corkcab

Hi Thriller,

It looks like car was sold in Brisbane by Howard Motors and it made it way back to USA. There is a number stamped on housing behind engine block, I think its

157 300-1

Does that make sense

Regards

Well it looks like it,s a Mclaughlin Buick, sold new in Brisbane Australia. Adelaide St, is one of the main inner city streets. A number of car dealerships were located in Adelaide St. in the 1920-30, Possibly with a locally manufactured body, and then shipped to Ireland. Interesting history.

Guest Corkcab

The car was bought in USA a few ago and is now in Ireland. It has done some traveling I think, made in Canada, sold in Australia, back to USA and now in Ireland. (Most of it anyway.)

Good comment on the body works in Australia, this could be a coach built car on a McLaughlin 4 chassis (but being a 4 has me questioning that). McLaughlin (and Buick) did ship lots 'cowl chassis' (chassis, engine, running gear, w/cowl, hood and radiator). Australia still has lots of content laws on manufacturing and I'm no expert on them now or back in the 20's. But there is a chance this body was built by a coach builder in Australia (?) (Holden?). There were comments above about some of the body items looking different. Knowing what 'REO' means on the plate would be a big clue.

I know Buicks had body information stamped (burned?) into the floor/sills. Anything there on this car or is the wood long gone?

Was Howard a Distirbutor only or a Coachworks also? I would think a coachworks would leave a tag too, so I may be all wet here.

A Google search says Holden was fitting bodies to imported chassis from 1914 to 1930's, but again, I think any coachworks would leave their tag (after all, you 'paid for it' as they say).

I'm way out of my league on this one (and out on a limb), my apologies to our friends Down Under by my guessing, please help mates.

Guest Corkcab

194630d1369388597t-1923-buick-buick-badge.jpgpost-93498-143141921258_thumb.jpg (cant make this pic bigger for some reason)

This badge is on the firewall (inside in engine area) Sign on left "General Motors" etc is on firewall (I think that what its called in USA) on left side

194631d1369388622t-1923-buick-dash.jpg "Howard Motors Brisbane" on on left side of this pic

So would I be correct in thinking that some or all of the car was manufactured in Canada, exported to Australia & sold by "Howard Motors"

post-93498-143141921255_thumb.jpg

Guest Corkcab

Just a few more pics

post-93498-14314192127_thumb.jpg

This is Howard Motors This is where badge is Rear of car we have no floor

What should it be covered with ?

Thanks

post-93498-143141921264_thumb.jpg

post-93498-143141921267_thumb.jpg

Well, I am a bit embarrassed. It looks like the door handles are a bit lower for these cars. Now I have to keep my eyes open to see how many years they were this way. Lief, I am sure you will be of great help to Corkcab.

John

Yes, it is a McLaughlin Buick made in Canada. Most parts interchange with the USA made Buicks of that model. However, some unique McLaughin trim was used, and prior year parts from the USA were used. For an example, in 23 most McLaughlins came with a spare tire carrier that was cast rather than stamped as was used on USA cars. McLaughlin used wooden dashes and door sills, exposed irons for the top, exposed wooden, not metal bows and upgraded trim in the interior. McLaughlin became GM of Canada in 1923, up until that time they produced McLaughlin Buicks under license.

On your engine and on the data plate their will be an engine number. If it starts with XCP (sometimes the X is struck over the C) then the engine was manufactured in Walkerville, Canada, which was their engine plant. X means the car was for export and not subject to Canada use tax.

Here are a couple of pics of the rear floor area of the 23 McLaughlin 45 that I had just purchased. The wood is floor for the most part, but there was a sheet metal tray under the seat area that could hold some items. There are metal braces that support the door structure. I don't think that yours you be any different.

post-48480-143141923705_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143141923713_thumb.jpg

Corkcab,

I found a complete windshield, it is missing the most of the lower frame, and the top of the posts are different than

the pics Lief posted, where the top fastens. The posts were plated at one time Model39??

send a PM and I can send you a pic.

JB

22-6-55 Sport Touring

Corkcab,

There are some differences with the dimensions Lief posted, but looks the same.

The bottom is 3 3/4", between the pivots 11", upper frame 27 3/4x 10 3/4", height 26 3/4".

The mounting holes in the body are 32 1/2"

JB

22-6-55 Sport Touring

Guest Corkcab

Hi Leif

Thanks for pictures, door meausrements are a great help. We are also looking for roof irons/frame so wondering if car in picture is restored or are parts available.

Regards

Noel

The really bad 1923 Buick was sold to a man that had another 1923 Buick he was restoring,I sold that car in 1980s.I have some other parts as you can see in the pictures ,and some other parts in my shed too.If you need anything else you have to ask,no body parts other than the rear doors. leife.holmberg@telia.com

Leif in Sweden.