Running VERY rough, intermitten. Will randomly jump out of that behavior. Help >_<

LenaRose

Hey guys, everything was going alright then one day when i turned it on it was running really rough, as in not on all cylinders. I remembered this behavior from before and it was the spark wires and i have replaced them before. I had the rest of the box of the wires left so i put them on (only one was replaced with this box previously). Didn't get better. So... i replaced the spark plugs and the module! NOW it is even less intermittent. it will run badly and randomly just jump out of it and if i accelerated then i could "ride" that jump to it running correctly, until i slowed down and it seemed like it would catch into it again when i would try to accelerate again.... It smells so bad, like my car is just dumping half burned gasoline, its all you smell. When i look at the gauges it seems like at lower speeds (below 45) it will shift okayish and just at 45-50 it shudders like crazy and its horrid to go faster, as if it wont shift higher. any high speed it is brutal to get it to and it just wants to slow down. the oil psi cyclically goes from 225-45 range and my volts are rather high and 14.1 ish which is not normal to the 13.4 ish range of before. Checked the vacuum and injectors and they're fine.

I'm so stressed and upset when my baby isn't running right i feel like i am murdering her every time i drive, i cannot stand it. what is it?! >_< O2 sensor? ECM? CPS? PCM?

HELP!

Guest Orono

It sounds like the ignition module. I read that it got worse after you replaced the module. I am sure it was not the change you were looking for but it was a change. I have had new aftermarket ignition modules be bad right out of the box but that's what warranties are for. Take it back to the store and get another one.

Guest Corvanti

since the oil pressure is showing bad - all over the place, wouldn't a new oil pressure switch be indicated? since it "takes over" fuel pump operation from the relay?

or am i not recalling this correctly? :)

Doubtful, are two elements: variable gauge and 4-6 psi switch. I have seen the variable part go wonkey (usually reading high) but not the switch. OTOH a shorted rectifier could put an ac component on the electrical system. Try disconnecting the alternator (should be able to run on battery for a few minutes) and see if it clears up.

Anyone who has started a Reatta with a cheap charger connected has seen what happens if you get ac on the line.

They injectors were checked to be okay, there are no codes. :/ to explain the shuddering it does a little better maybe it is hard shudder like if it were to stall out but it doesn't it does it REAL bad when I try to shift around 45.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Did you replace both the ICM and the coil pack or just one or the other? With new or used? Delco upgrade or still Magnavox?

Tap the MAF sensor with the butt end of a screwdriver when engine is idling and listen for a stumble.

Guest Corvanti
...When i look at the gauges it seems like at lower speeds (below 45) it will shift okayish and just at 45-50 it shudders like crazy and its horrid to go faster, as if it wont shift higher. any high speed it is brutal to get it to and it just wants to slow down.

just throwing this "out there", hoping to rule it out - since "45-50" MPH is when the transmission shifts into 4th (overdrive), could there also be a trans problem, or a 'puter/electrical problem to the transmission adding to the other problem(s)?

Medium load/low rpm is the hardest on the ignition. I'd be looking for an issue in the secondary circuit plugs, plug wires, coils. 88s go into 4th/lockup around 45 and that is the worst condition. Will show up particularly on moderate acceleration up an overpass.

Are you free anytime tomorrow or Friday Pagett? I can come by. when i was driving up to my grandma's it was surging like crazy and jumps to normal then back into it UHG. i couldn't end ride on one of the intermittent normal parts, just went straight back into it... this totally has to be something to do with my plugs and such.. i know this behavior... but its never been so bad. i replaced the plugs, the wires and the module.... i guess the module could have been bad out of the box( which i believe was AC Delco)

LenaRose,

I had problems with my recently purchased '90. Symptoms indicated that a "Padgett/Delco" upgrade was needed.

The PO had reciepts that showed that the ICM was changed in Sept. of last year by a "professional". When I went to swap out the ICM, this is what I found.

post-67519-143141912876_thumb.jpg

Maybe you could remove the multi-pin connector and, with an inspection mirror and a flashlight, check to see whether or not you have a similar situation.

This is yet another example of why I do all my own work. Can't even trust the "Professionals" to do the job correctly and they still want $80.00-plus an hour to muck up a job.

John F.

post-67519-143141912867_thumb.jpg

Edited by Machiner 55 (see edit history)

I do almost all my own work, my father is a machinist and has passed on enough to me so that i am very capable... including his auto zone commercial account! ahah Makes things very easy. My mechanic neighbor helps me a lot, especially with larger work and when i am unsure. He is like my 2nd dad since my dad is still in NY. When i took out the old module it was stock and weird and melty looking the guys at auto zone were like "woah" also it was extremely hot. Only one seal was put back in i had to scrape the old one off. I pretty much don't trust anyone with my car, my dad has instilled that in me over time. Also to always triple check your parts from the store because 60% of the time they're the wrong one. hah

Got a chance to observe:

running rough

BLM 155 at cruise

O2 transitions from 25-35 at idle (am used to 3-5 at idle)

Tapping on MAF had no effect.

Oldpa3 maxed at 9999 when I looked but later did not increment past 134 (normallish to get some on startup).

Sure sounds like a failed O2 sensor making it run waaay rich but still transitioning so no fault set. Comments ?

Also oil pressure sender is bananas - saw 255 several times - but did not ever feel like it was starving.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

quote " Also oil pressure sender is bananas - saw 255 several times - but did not ever feel like it was starving.<!-- google_ad_section_end --> " I hope you meant starving for fuel, if you feel it starving for oil, it's too late.:) Too bad you can't monitor fuel pressure on that car. TexasJohn

Guest Mc_Reatta

Hard to believe failed O2 sensor would give those cross counts. I'd disconnect sensor and monitor ED07. Should be ~.45 volt and steady.

The BLM 155 allatime could make it run rough and that is a function of the O2 sensor. What bothered me was that I was seeing 25-35 cross counts at idle & have never seen an unheated O2 sensor act that way. Have you ?

Guest Mc_Reatta

No, that's why I suggested monitoring the reference voltage without sensor connected to see if another issue may be in play.