Can sun visors be recovered?

Guest Richard D

Guest Richard D

I got tired of looking through the film that built up on the inside of my windshield (non-smoking car) and was cleaning it when I noticed that both of my sunvisors covering has worn thin to the point of splitting on some of the seams and just look nasty. I thought that it was the same material that is used on the headliner and I have seen that at JO-Anns fabrics in a very close dove gray, but it is much thinner. Is it best to take them to an upholstery shop and have them do it, expensive? Can a lay person do it if I can find the fabric, I see it is sewn along the edges which is beyond my limited talents. I would think that any found in a parts car would be in same condition. All ideas welcome.

Thank You,

Richard

They can be recovered, but apparently the problematic part is the seam where the two halves are joined. I've not torn one apart to see how this was done, but I seem to remember an upholstery guy telling me it would never look factory if redone. Somehow I can't accept that. GM did not use deep magic or some ancient druid secrets to assemble the sun visors. Having seen joints in upholstery like this redone on household furniture, I know it is usually a metal strip that is closed tight with a rubber mallet to get that tight-fit seam.

The visors in my 91 should be redone, they are not in bad shape but they are a bit orange compared to the headliner since the latter was redone but the visors weren't (before I bought the car). I need to get a couple of extra visors to try this, lest I screw up the ones in the car and need spares.

KDirk

I had mine done using the fabric left over from my headliner. Damn near perfect. Only gripe is they could not replace the small rectangle of fabric on the mirror. You couldn't tell unless it was pointed out. Seams were done correctly and the broken flappy thing was restored.