Restored my Grey '91 steering wheel today.

Labrat

I repaired some damage to my '91 Grey steering wheel today using this: Fiebing's Leather Dye Grey. I found it at: Fiebing's Leather Dye w Applicator 28 Colors 4 Oz | eBay It is a great match and covered up the areas where I got too rambunctious cleaning. After letting dry overnight I'll protect it with this: Collonil Waterstop #253 light grey also found at : Collonil Waterstop Leather Shoe Boot Polish Waterproof 11 Colors 2 5 Oz | eBay Already looks like new but I think a waterproofing treatment will extend the life a bit more so I won't have to treat it again for another 20 years. I looked locally without any success for something to repair the damage this but it seems most folks don't dye or polish shoes like they used to so it was unavailable. Polish alone won't do it as it contains almost no dye just wax.

Yes, some pictures would be great. I suppose that your wheel just had some color worn off, and no cracking or gouges in the leather? If so then I can see where the results would have been pretty decent. If the damage was more advanced, I imagine the wear will show through the new color if fairly short order. Still, this approach is quite a bit less than a recovering job. I still plan to have the wheel on my 88 done over with new leather, since I have some other parts to be recovered as well (shift knob and 16 way seat switch housing). Just trying to scrape together the funds for it.

KDirk

I use solvent based SEM for a perfect match

Bought in cans (pint costs about $60). Rattle cans are cheap for a reason. You must spend the bucks to get the right thing.

When doing steering wheels, I use Bulldog adhesion promoter to make sure everything sticks well as its a high wear area.