Last dash question, I hope....

Guest oldguy668

Guest oldguy668

The dash has been powdercoated (white backside), the instruments have all been refurbished, and tomorrow it goes to to the upholsterer for a new vinyl cover. Here's the question: one of the three funny-looking clips on the leading edge is missing. It looks like the spot weld broke some time ago. I guess their purpose is to keep the inner trim piece from smooshing down. What's the recommended fix? Obviously I need a spacer block of some sort, but I'd like to hear what others have done.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DonnerVogel567

What does the "funny looking clip" look like and what leading edge? I'm not sure what "funny-looking" looks like? Do these clips hold the lower inner stainless trim in place.

If this is the case, yes, use some sort of block and a longer trim screw to reach or bite onto dash metal in the area of the missing clip. When the car was factory built there were four

square, about an inch square or more, stiff sponge like material on each side of the defroster vents. These soft square blocks helped focus the air to the inner glass, otherwise,

when missing, defroster air would be lost longitoudanly into the stainless trim

Bob Hartig

McLean, VA

'56

Guest oldguy668

The clips keep the inner windshield trim from squashing down where the defrost openings are. It looks like a spacer of some sort will work. I just thought I'd ask in case someone else had already solved the problem.