1963 Riviera--glovebox lid won't open!

Adambravo

...and, yes, I did search the forum, and found the thread about the stuck '64 glovebox. Unfortunately, the solutions outlined there (so far) aren't working. It should be noted that, in my case, the key that operates every other lock in my car does not appear to operate the glovebox, so I'm not sure if that's supposed to happen. Second, the lid, as you'll see in the photo, is slightly open, but trying to pry it open with a screwdriver doesn't seem to be working (and I'd rather not break anything--yet). I have sprayed the latch and the button (in and around the lock) with WD40. I'm wondering if I need to somehow nudge the lid left, right, up, or down to somehow work it free, and am hoping someone who's gotten a good look at the mechanism might be able to provide some guidance; I don't have the skills to get at it from the other side on my own.

post-70767-143141907491_thumb.jpg

Thanks in advance...

The dash pad comes off easily on these cars. There are four screws along the underside of the lip. Remove them and pull the dash toward you. There are two keepers on the underside of the dash ; they should release by pulling straight back. You should then be able to see the glove box latch by looking straight down on it.

Ed

I agree with Ed on dash pad removal. Not too hard to do.

The key should work on all locks.

Try pushing in on the lid, then push in on the button.

Do not pry up on the lid. You will warp it.

Thanks to both of you for your comments. I did manage to get the dashpad off, and managed to unscrew something (still not entire sure what) which got the door open. Dashpad is back in place, although I cannot seem to replace the screws; it seems pretty firmly set, but apparently I'm not quite aligned. Fortunately, it looks fine (and I've saved the screws).

Make sure that you didn't knock the little u-nuts off the dash frame as you pulled the pad off. If the u-nuts are still there, make sure they're centered over the hole. Put the pad on, lift the front and stick an awl (ice pick) through the hole and eye ball it into the u-nut. Everything will then screw back together.

What did you figure out about the latch itself?

Ed

Make sure that you didn't knock the little u-nuts off the dash frame as you pulled the pad off. If the u-nuts are still there, make sure they're centered over the hole. Put the pad on, lift the front and stick an awl (ice pick) through the hole and eye ball it into the u-nut. Everything will then screw back together.

What did you figure out about the latch itself?

Ed

1. What do the u-nuts look like? I found something on the floor (I'll attach a photo tomorrow), but not sure where it goes.

2. Didn't have time to do follow up on the latch; right now, the door closes fine and pressing the button opens the door. I unscrewed something from the left side of the glovebox, but am not sure what. I also ordered a new liner, as the current one turned to look pretty ratty.