1942 dodge cruising speed?

Guest hiyudon

Guest hiyudon

What is the comfortable top end for a '42 coupe? From what I've read my rear end is a 3.73. Forty five mph seems to be where it likes to run at the top end. Is this the norm? The engine is in great shape.

Thanks,

Don

Dave's comments are right on the money. Your plymouth will drive well, given reasonable care. Enjoy it on the open road!

Guest hiyudon

Hmmm. Maybe I'll throw a tach in it. It sounds like it's rev'n pretty high. It's totally stock. Could it be low on fluid in the flluid drive component? I'll take a look into that.

Thanks for the help.

DOn

My 48 Plymouth with a 48 Dodge engine seems happy at 55. I wouldn't want to run it much more. I did just do a valve job and noticed it has been bored .040 over so when I get it back together I'll have to see if there is any improvement. I would think your 42 Should perform similar. If you have a GPS or a friend you may want to check to make sure your speedo is correct. I know my Plymouth and 36 Chrysler are both off by 10 MPH. Now back to my firewood. Once that's done I can finish my Plymouth and start driving it again.

45 - 50 was typical for the era. During WW2 I believe the speed limit was reduced from 50 to 30 or 35 to conserve fuel and tires. Back then 60 was a pretty good clip, also called "going like 60" or "a mile a minute" was fast driving. 70 would be REALLY burning up the roads. Top speed of your car, about 85.

Dodges were generally well made and reliable at speed unlike Chev with its hit or miss oiling system. But, prolonged high speed driving can lead to pistons breaking up. Broken pistons very common on Dodge, Plymouth, DeSoto and Chrysler flathead sixes after long service ( 70,000 to 100,000 miles)