Dual Master Cylinder

franklin28

I have addapted a GM style dual master cylinder on my 1932 Franklin and it works fine. However, the resivoir is part of the cylinder and is difficult to get at to inspect the fluid level. I have provides an access cut out in the floor board but this is still a pain. Does anyone know of a dual master cylinder I can use that has remote resivoirs? The cylinder I am using has a 1 1/8" bore which seems to be adaquate.

Bob

We installed one a few years ago and we put a fitting into the side of the master cylinder reservoir and connected the firewall reservoir line. A small hole was drilled in the top of the web division between the two reservoirs on the master cylinder to allow fluid to balance between the two from the single fitting added to the side. We were not sure if the master cylinder cover would seal against the head of fluid from the firewall can - but it seems to work just fine.

tom

That should work. He thinks that he has ahot rod allready!

I just ordered the cover and will report on its performance. It is important to have a car that will stop as quickly as it will go. Hense the need for top performing brakes.

Thanks for the lead.

Bob

Franklin28, If you look into parts for British cars of the sixties (Austin Healey for instance) they had a master cylinder for the clutch and one for brakes with a fluid can mounted on the fire wall (looks like the Franklin can) that had a duel outlet and a separation inside so a failure in one wouldn't drain the other. I think Moss Motors sells them. This would give you a more original look on the firewall if that interests you.