Torque ball question for 1939 Buick

ThomasBorchers

Hello,

I have a question about the torque ball of my 1939 Buick Special Business Coupe. I was at the safety inspection here and they said, that the torque ball has a lot of play, this is not ok.

When the car is standing with the wheels on the ground, a gear is in and you will spin the rear wheel forward, then the part of the torque ball which I marked on the photo will go forward, moves a bit up, down, left, right and so on. Is this correct, not correct and if not, what can I do to solve the problem?

Regards

Thomaspost-30607-143141896871_thumb.jpg

It really shouldnt have any play. They wear out like any other wearable part on a car. Interesting that Germany would hold you car to such an inspection, and that they even know much about the engineering of a 1939 Buick.

It was apparent when I tore my car down that it was driven with a very sloppy torque ball for a long time, and it was actually rubbing the inside of the metal. The u-bolt heads were ground down it rubbed so much.

Mine had all kinds of play just by trying to move it with my bare hand, after the new one, none at all.

I'd concur with Billy, there shouldn't be any play at all in that torque ball.

You could try to remove a few of the shims that go between retaining plate and the carrier.

That might help reduce the play but it's more than likely that the torque ball is worn. There should also be a rubber boot that seals off and protects the unit.

You can get a re-vulcanized unit and boot from Bob's Auto.

Was there any indications that this was worn ?? (noisy drive or vibrations)

You should also check the rubber mounts that hold the torque ball in place.

Danny

Edited by danhar1960
clarifiacation (see edit history)

Hello,

thanks for the hints.

@ Billy : Well, every car has to go to the safety inspection, when you want a street permission with black plates. Every to years. Even with car built 1905 or so. The inspector was a friend, he owns also classic cars like a 1955 Oldsmobile and 1958 Cadillac. So he knows what he has to check. But inspectors who are not familiar to old cars, can't make these checks. The can do it but often the don't know if something is ok or not. Actually every car who has a light oil like can't pass the safety inspection. Actually every classic car can't pass the inspection. It is a problem here... if you get the wrong inspector.

I have to look for the rubber mounts, I actually have not seen some... I can not remember this.

@ Danny : The car runs fine. Just when I start to drive, the clutch rattles a bit, when I am to low with the trottle.

Regards

Thomas

Guest Grant Magrath
Danny may mean the 2 rubber mounts for the trailing arm, near the torque ball

Nah, I know the ones he means. There's a couple I had to remove to pull the diff back far enough to get the transmission out by the torque ball.

Cheers

Grant