Sign in to follow this  
HRP

Help locating where the straps to the cover on the convertable back padding go.

Hi,

Assistance, please. I've a 1991 Reatta Convertible and recently replaced the top. Here's my problem in as few words as possible.

There is a semicircular cover which, when the top is up, lies behind the seats and the rear window. One edge is "velcroed", but the second is connected by two straps to the top to keep it in place and taunt when the windows are down and the top up. They are about 4 - 6z" long and 45 degree angled outward towards the outside lower corners of the framework of the top. Where do those straps connect?

Assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dick

Benefits of AACA Membership.

If your straps aren't connected, your mounting points are probably broken.

I've seen people use zip ties to mount the straps to the frame.

I believe the poster is referring to the shelf cover. The attachments for the shelf cover are elastic straps that should have a grommet on the end. Normally there is a screw that goes through the grommet and into the fifth bow from the bottom up. My guess is the screw is still there but it may be hidden by the 5th bow rubber seal.

No matter what the condition of this shelf cover is it is valuable. Any good upholstery shop can use it as a template and make a new one. I had my shop make me a new headliner and matching shelf cover from color keyed ultra suede.

Here are a couple of photos showing the location of the strap attachment for the rear deck cover. I think you need to unscrew and remove the rubber seal to gain access to the screw that holds the strap grommet in place. One photo, with the scale, is taken from the rear with the window portion of the top elevated. The other photo is from inside the cabin looking at the attachment point on the fifth bow.

Hope this helps.post-88674-14314189618_thumb.jpg

post-88674-143141896153_thumb.jpg