52 Hudson Stuck Temp Sensor

Guest chrishanlon

Guest chrishanlon

hello everyone -- this is my first time and first day on the site -- I started my kid's great-grandfather's hornet last sunday after working on it for about a year -- today installed a new pertronix ignition -- it is now running great! I want to install a new temp gage and know how to do so, but the old sensor unit is stuck bad -- really, really bad. I am starting to think I may be doing something wrong. Can anyone tell me if the sensor unit screws right into the head? How do I get that darn thing out? Thanks everyone!

Guest chrishanlon

Hi commodore! It is the Alcoa aluminum head - sending unit is on the drivers side, front

Chris,I have a 53 with the cast iron head. A problem with the aluminum head is that the bimetal action that occurs with the brass sensor against the aluminum metal alloy. The two tend to fuse. Try soaking with either Kroil or Liquid Wrench. The best penetrating oil, IMO, is a mix of trans fluid & acetone( Ace hwdr).Continue to apply and attempt to move the sensor with small amounts of torque with a deep well socket. The final solution would be to remove the head, but that will surely open a can of worms with the headbolts and aluminum head. I believe that aluminum should not have torque placed upon it when warm , See removing spark plugs from Corvairs. But, try going to the Classic Car .com site for the Hudson,Essex Terraplanes . I really advise in addition to the AACA, that you join the HET Club. These cars have their own quirks and characteristics. Ron

Chris, it it is already failed, no problem. keep soaking and tap.tap,tap around on it until it frees up, that may take some patience. Once it breaks loose so that you can visually see it move then you can use some good curved channelock pliers on it to twist it back and forth while gently pulling on it, it will eventually come out. I am assuming that this is a manual bourbon tube style guage with the brass bulb seated underneath a retaining flared nut. TexasJohn Does it have a nut retaining the bulb in a fitting or just one hex, wire or small tubing going to it. If it has a base fitting, just unscrew it. It is not clear to me what setup you have, a pic would help.

Edited by TexasJohn55 (see edit history)

Guest chrishanlon

hi guys and thanks --yup, I am going to join HET for sure -- so, guys, is the head on this thing actually threaded? -- the sensor screws right into the head (akin to a v-8? where the sender sort of sits atop a little fluid well?) --

so is my goal to actually get the entire brass portion out, right? --

Guest chrishanlon

I will get a picture up -- nothing is going into it right now, and I can't tell if the brass coupling is retaining anything, or if the whole screws right into the head -- I think the later ...

Edited by chrishanlon (see edit history)

Chris, to further answer your question, the brass unit is solid using a 5/8 wrench or socket to remove. The thread is tapped at 1/2" x20 fine into the head. There are many for sale on Ebay. Just keep soaking it and work it slowly & gently. it will eventually loosen.

Guest Bob Call

Chris

When you put it back together be sure to use an anti-seize compound on the threads. I always used anti-seize especially where there are different metals mateing. You can get anti-seize at NAPA or any good parts store.

Chris

When you put it back together be sure to use an anti-seize compound on the threads. I always used anti-seize especially where there are different metals mateing. You can get anti-seize at NAPA or any good parts store.

Bob, won,t anti seize cause a possible break in continuity for the gauge?

• 2 weeks later...