1953 Buick Ignition Switch/Cylinder Removal

Pat0366

Hello Buick Friends!

I'm in the process of disassembling everything from my dash and have gotten stumped at the ignition. There's an Off, On, and Lock position with a small hole on the right side of the lock mechanism. By reading forum threads for other years it seems I need to insert a pin into the hole and turn the cylinder with the key inside to remove the switch. I've tried a few different ways, but to no avail. Has anyone ever removed one from a 1953 Special? I have always had great success getting answers on the club forum and look forward to learning the procedure to solve this mystery. Thanks in advance!

Pat

I have attached a couple pictures that may help. Make sure the switch is off and then insert a paperclip. Then rotate clockwise and it should come out. Also is a pic of the back side which is difficult to see when it is in the car. Take your time and don't force it apart, that is what I initially did.

post-61997-143141896578_thumb.jpg

post-61997-143141896606_thumb.jpg

post-61997-14314189663_thumb.jpg

Edited by buickconvert53
Grammer (see edit history)

Once again the folks on this forum have come to my rescue successfully. After reading the posts to my thread I went out to my garage and had the lock cylinder out in seconds. Thanks to Johns Hanson and BuickConvert53 for taking the time to help out a fellow Buick guy.

Pat

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

In '50, one key for everything. I was able to remove the glovebox lock, take to a locksmith and ,bingo, a key. Also, I read someplace there was a limited number of keys, maybe 47 or so. Perhaps get all your buddys with GM cars over and offer a twelve pack for the one that turns the lock. Or just call a traveling locksmith to come do it.

Ben

• 6 years later...
41 minutes ago, jdbarlow2000 said:

So if I do not have a key, how do I get the dog gone thing out?

On 5/31/2013 at 7:46 PM, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

In '50, one key for everything. I was able to remove the glovebox lock, take to a locksmith and ,bingo, a key. Also, I read someplace there was a limited number of keys, maybe 47 or so. Perhaps get all your buddys with GM cars over and offer a twelve pack for the one that turns the lock. Or just call a traveling locksmith to come do it.

Ben

There is a number on the lock cylinder:  door, trunk, glove box; that number plus locksmith and you have a key

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, old-tank said:

There is a number on the lock cylinder:  door, trunk, glove box; that number plus locksmith and you have a key

The door and trunk keys do not fit the ignition, but they do not fit the glove box either, so maybe I'll get luck with the glove box numbers.

Yes, the glove box lock needs to come apart to get the code. Good news, they are easy to pick. Do NOT let anyone tell you the pretty decorative cover needs to be pried off to get it apart!!!!!!

I can post instructions if you need them, but a set of lock picks is required (or at least makes the job easier).

Most all GM keys from 1935 to 1966 will fit this lock, so get all your friends with GM cars from those years and have them all try their keys. Wiggle and jiggle might be necessary too. I keep a ring with all my old keys (and new improperly made ones😁) to open ignition locks.  The ignition lock is a GM (Briggs and Stratton) side bar lock, and very difficult to pick. Only the glove box locks on most GMs are the wafer easier to pick style. Doors, trunks, ignition are side bar style.

I can code cut keys for these also, with the 4 digit code.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1