Bimetallic spring for '37 Dodge? Modern?

fozz71

Yes, it is all apart and I'll upload a pic- I just snagged a replacement spring off Ebay for a 30's Studebaker so maybe I can make it work? I took it all apart already-

I can't remember what the end of the spring hooks onto for tension? I know the center slides into the riser pivot.

post-76327-143141894843_thumb.jpg

Edited by fozz71
added question (see edit history)

Yes, it is all apart and I'll upload a pic- I just snagged a replacement spring off Ebay for a 30's Studebaker so maybe I can make it work? I took it all apart already-

I can't remember what the end of the spring hooks onto for tension? I know the center slides into the riser pivot.

Antique Auto Parts Cellar, also know as Then 'n Now Automotive manufactures the heat riser spring for early Mopar engines. There is a slot in the shaft that the counter weight hooks onto that one end of the spring fits into. The other end simply hooks on the stud (or manifold drain tube shown in your photo). You simply wrap it around and have it hooked there.

Theory of operation: When cold the spring is strong enough to overcome the counter weight and move the heat riser in the exhaust manifold to the cold position where heat is directed up to the "hot spot" under the carburetor. Keeps carburetor icing from being a problem on cold start driving when the temperature is slightly above freezing and the humidity is high.

As the spring gets warm it weakens and the counter weight moves the heat riser flap inside the manifold to the straight through position.

Guest bofusmosby

I need the complete assembl for my 37 Pontiac. There is just a nub (shaft end) sticking out of the heat riser, with no spring or weight. Do you think that this would also work for my GM made Pontiac?