Sign in to follow this  
Pete Phillips

1948 Buick adventure

When my 47 got wrecked I was able to find the chrome I needed at the Buick Farm....

Nice looking car.. Good find and you saved it from someone like me who would love to put a big Nailhead in it.

Pete,

What a wonderful Buick you have found! I am green with envy!

Now, after the before and after pics..... what are your intentions

for this beauty...? Drive as is ? or, ?....?

This is the very car I've coveted for a LONG time!!!

Have fun with it!

Mike

What a sweet car. Nice find Pete.

Pete,

Looks like you have found a really excellent car there. I'm sure the "revival" process will be enjoyable with such a nice car to begin with. Looking forward to seeing more pictures of your progress. Have fun.

Thats a killer color! Amazing how some parts of it still shine. I saw the guys on the show Fast and Loud take a car with similar paint and just clear coat it to maintain the original patina.

Made it home. Here it is after four hours of waxing and compounding the driver's side of the car.

Does anyone have a pair of moldings for the center of the fender skirts? Both of these are side-swiped and put back on with screws.

WOW!

Hooked up a battery and got the engine to turn over today--spins nicely. Took off the valve cover and the valve train is amazingly clean and free of sludge. Here are a few photos. I have not cleaned anything yet in the engine or interior or trunk. The original upholstery is underneath the seat covers. Notice the ivory-colored steering wheel, which I thought was not used after 1947.

post-32059-143141901317_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143141901326_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143141901334_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143141901343_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pete Phillips (see edit history)

When Dad was the service manager in the late 40's-early 50's I recall they installed a ton of those seat covers. Sure brought back good memories.

I love the car, you are one lucky guy, but deserving I would bet.

Dale in Indy

What a beauty, Pete. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person. Don't you just love those tail lights set in the rear fenders?

That is so cool. No doubting that came with the 48

Pete, great find. And, a very rare color, never seen one that color. Is all the plastic, or whatever you call it, ivory colored ? Is the engine a side mount or front mount ? '47 was the last front motor mount car. Paul

.....Does anyone have a pair of moldings for the center of the fender skirts? Both of these are side-swiped and put back on with screws.....

Ever wonder where the saying of "parking by ear" originated?

Anxiously waiting for a You Tube video showing us how you parallel parked this boat (first attempt) in downtown Leonard, Texas. The previous owner probably never used Reverse, judging by the condition of the rear bumper.

Kool ride to say the least. :cool:

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

...The original upholstery is underneath the seat covers...

The upholstery in my 49 Super was covered with period seat covers (much like yours) which still had manufacturing tags dated 1954. The original broadcloth fabric on on my 49 upholstery matches what is exposed on your rear seat arm rest. LeBaron Bonney has the exact matching fabric, if you get around to wanting to do some re-upholstery work. Great looking car, Pete.

Dan

I cleaned up the trunk and look at the decal that is still in place on the base of the bumper jack...

That chain-link fabric pattern is identical to the original fabric that was in my 49 Super. Again, LeBaron Bonney has this exact fabric pattern if you ever want to do the trunk. It looks pretty darn good as it is now.

Dan

So, have you peeked under the seat covers yet? Were they put on to cover the worn-out original upholstery or to protect it when it was new? I've always wondered why folks used to install seat covers in a brand new car. Who were they saving it for? Maybe now I know. They were saving it for you, Pete.

CONGRATS PETE ON YOUR SCORE . . . . BEAUTIFUL CAR. :cool: :cool:

Fabulous find, Pete. The colour looks very similar to the Royal Maroon on my '41 Roadmaster.

About seat covers. My grandfather bought a '56 Roadmaster new and had clear plastic seat covers installed right after he bought it. By the late sixties the front seat cover had broken in the drivers seat position, but the rest was absolutely perfect, especially the back seat. Not the most comfortable covers though, hot in the summer, cold in the winter.

So maybe your '48 will be perfect under those covers!

Keith

How in the heck did I miss this until now. What a great find Pete. Congrats!!!!!!!! Going back to look at all the pics now, just wanted to go ahead and say CONGRATS!!!

Posts like this are what makes me love this Forum! Great car Pete and in just the right hands to do it justice.