Sign in to follow this  
Pete Phillips

1948 Buick adventure

Another big Buick adventure is about to start. I'm leaving Texas on Friday morning, with empty trailer in tow, bound for the southeastern tip of South Dakota to purchase, pick up, and resurrect a 1948 Super 2-door fastback, model 56-S. It has been stored in this barn for many years, and if all goes well, will see the light of day sometime Saturday afternoon. I'll try to post updates and photos. It's a pretty maroon car with standard shift, 55,000 actual miles, not running due to long storage, and of course will need some work. I've only seen it in photos, but it looks very solid and straight. I'm psyched for the trip. I think I heard about the car on Craig's List. Can't wait to see it in person.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

post-32059-143141890691_thumb.jpg

Me three,

Good ole South Dakota, move to Indy in 1973 from South Dakota.

When it snows out there the snow also comes up out of the ground, BELIEVE ME, we know. Nice folks there though.

Dale in Indy

P.S. I have been installing a new main windshield set of rubber seals in my modified Limited, and WHAT A PAIN. I am for sure a hands on guy, and this process has given me fits. I learned last night that the center chrome trim bar when in place was approx. 1/4" from touching the main center rubber piece.

I thought possibly the reveal pinch seal had slipped and was holding the windshield back, so took the complete package back out. WHAT A DIRTY MESS, with all the bedding compound on such. Everything looked ok, so confused.

I have a call in to Steele Rubber to discuss what might be my problem.

Pray for me, LOL, NO, really

Dale in Indy

Sounds very exciting Pete. Potentially one of those adventures of a lifetime. A true barn find indeed. Most importantly drive careful and have a safe trip.

Made it to Lincoln, Nebraska today, about 625 miles from Leonard, Texas. Afraid I can't say much that is nice about Lincoln, though. Took two hours of driving all over the town just to find a motel--not a motel with a vacant room--just a MOTEL, period. Have never seen anything like this--225,000 people and there are no motels on the major highways or thoroughfares on the south, east, northeast, or southwest sides of the city. Nothing on U.S. Rte. 77; nothing on U.S. Rte. 6, nothing on U.S. Rte. 34 east from in town to the vacant fields on the way to Omaha. They must hide them from visitors. Finally found one on the northwest side of town, after going to three different exits and interchanges on Interstate 80 and still finding none. Tomorrow will be a better day. Should be there to see the '48 by noontime.

The only old Buick I saw today was along U.S. Rte. 81 near Minneapolis, Kansas--a '58 station wagon, pushed down a creekbed years ago, and still hanging on above the water--sad.

Pete Phillips

First photos... Just got it loaded--turning lots of heads as I tow it down the highway. 59,000 miles, all original, two owners since new. I LOVE IT.

post-32059-143141894957_thumb.jpg

post-32059-14314189497_thumb.jpg

I just came in from the garage and found this; makin' my little heart thump. Same age as me. I'd be up late putting a shine on that one tonight!

Bernie

Very nice. It should clean up really easily.

I wish I could have found something like that.

Fender skirts are in the trunk. I think the left rear tire is one of the car's original tires: wide whitewall, U.S. Royal, 7.60 by 15. Got another day of driving today before I get home with this gem. Thanks for the encouragement!

Pete

post-32059-14314189554_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143141895548_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143141895557_thumb.jpg

Boy OH Boy, the (potential) is so glaring.

I don't think there is a person in the world that doesn't like the Sedanet.

Great color, Great find, going to a Great home, Congrats.....

Dale in Indy

Pete, it's a real beauty! Also, something you won't be meeting many of when you're going down the road!!!!

Fantastic, Pete! Great photos and great Buick! I love it.

I doubt there's one of us who wouldn't love to have been part of this great adventure with you.

Wow. Great find Pete. A '48 sedanet is on my "Buicks To Own" list! Looking forward to seeing your work on this one. Keep us updated and have fun!

Pretty darned handsome barn, too.

So, Pete, what is this? By my count, about Buick number 58 purchased since I started following you on these forums. Maybe I exaggerate but not much. I suppose you've got a bit of land, like, a Texas-sized bit of land?

post-59990-143141896655_thumb.jpg

Pic coming out of barn is a classic! hope you made it home safely. Car looks really straight. I am patiently waiting to see what this baby looks like after washing and a polish.

Fender skirts are in the trunk. I think the left rear tire is one of the car's original tires: wide whitewall, U.S. Royal, 7.60 by 15. Got another day of driving today before I get home with this gem. Thanks for the encouragement!

Pete

Fantastic, Pete.

Now if you still had the '48 Roadmaster.

Ben

Made it home. Here it is after four hours of waxing and compounding the driver's side of the car.

Does anyone have a pair of moldings for the center of the fender skirts? Both of these are side-swiped and put back on with screws.

post-32059-143141899572_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143141899581_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143141899589_thumb.jpg