1931 Coupe Find

Guest pbajeff

Guest pbajeff
post-93206-143141886937_thumb.jpgnewbie here but want to show y`all what I stumbled on. Found a 31 business coupe in a barn here where I live and finally got the deal done on it this past weekend. This is about the best pic I could get of it as is. The owner is an older lady here in town got married in the mid 40s. This car was her new husbands first car. She cant remember when he bought it, but claims he bought it from the original owner. She says she does still have the title from when he bought it, so once she finds that it will tell me. They drove the car as their family car until 53 when something happened to the motor - again, she cant remember or doesn't know what happened. It has been parked since 53. They moved it over to the building it is in now sometime in the mid 70s. Here they built the shelves and storage around the car and that is still the way it sits. The husband passed away a few years ago. Her son finally convinced her to sell it to me this past weekend and we made a deal. ;) Not going to be able to get it out of the building until they get the junk off the storage that is stacked up around the car. Once we get it out, I will take some more pics and post them to brag a little. I hear Keiser is the man on these cars. Once I get it out and some more pics, will holler at him. Not sure what my plan is going forward, going to have to wait and get it out so i can see exactly what I have. PS - I got the Camaro too!! 69 was daughters car that has been parked in the building since later 70s best they can remember. Edited by pbajeff (see edit history)

That is one I have photos of. Can't remember who, but someone in that family got in touch with me about it a while back. They sent me the photos and disappeared. I was certainly interested in it, of course. I can't wait until you clean it up so I can see what it really looks like. May I ask where it/you are located? John

post-37352-143141886973_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143141886976_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143141886978_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143141886981_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143141886984_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Guest pbajeff

lol - that is amazing. Thought I had inside track on the deal. I am anxious to get it out and see what we have too. I am located about 60 miles east of Amarillo, Tx. I am going to son college grad next weekend, so going to have to wait till weekend after that to get it out.

I am assuming (uh oh) and hoping that you are keeping it original and not rodding it? Looks to have the wrong headlamp lenses or maybe some sealed beam lamps in the original buckets. I LOVE the original pinstriping on it.

Guest pbajeff

Have to admit - I also just happen to have a good 331 hemi with a 4 speed behind it and I cant get that out of my head lol. I will definitely wait till I get it out and cleaned up to make a decision tho. Try and see if I can figure out what is wrong with the motor in it now first for sure. Honestly, I am more of street rod kind of guy with these type cars, but I am not one to jump right in and chop up a perfectly good original car either, not enough of them left. Time will tell. Once I get it out and back to my shop, it will just sit for a bit while I finish putting motor back in my GTO so I will have some time to stew on it.

Yes.....a perfectly good original car. Only 3,178 made of those coupes. If you do decide to rod it, please keep me in mind for any and all original "toss-off" parts. I rebuilt a 331 HEMI when I was a kid, but had to let it go........I had ideas, too at 14 years old.....

post-37352-143141887348_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Guest pbajeff

Well we finally got this deal done and got these cars this weekend. Here are a few shots of the Dodge. First is after we got the Camaro out, then a couple of the first time the Dodge has seen daylight in 59 years. Then after I gave it a quick rinse to knock of the worst of the dirt. post-93206-143141927723_thumb.jpg

post-93206-143141927713_thumb.jpg

post-93206-143141927717_thumb.jpg

post-93206-14314192772_thumb.jpg

NICE! A dual sidemount business coupe!! Rare beast. Awesome photos! Thanks for posting those. Wish I could have been there for the unveiling of it. Yours looks to be a late February or after, production car due to the three door hinges. Previously had two.

Guest pbajeff

There is a guy here that has written some books called "Rare Finds" that shows different cars being pulled out of barns and different places. He came out and took dozens of photos and video. We got the lady that used to own the car out and she came down to see it. He interviewed her and then took few shots of her with the car. He is going to put it all together for us. Actually a lot of fun and interesting. Real nice to be able to talk to the lady and get her stories about the car.

Guest pbajeff
love that patina on that dodge, i wouldnt change a thing on that .....

what are the plans for the car(s) .....???

My thoughts exactly. I want to keep the Dodge looking just like it is now. We pulled the plugs on the Camaro and one cylinder is rusted up. Motor will not turn over. It is a 307 car so we pulled the motor today. Have an extra 283 that we are going to stick in it for now. The body on the Camaro is in extremely good shape. Pulled seats and carpet out for good thorough cleaning. There is no rust in the pans anywhere. Just barely seeing the start of it around the wheel well lips. overall very good. Now for the 31...................um still thinking on that one. Motor is locked up in it too. Going to stew on it a while. Edited by pbajeff
misspelled (see edit history)

pbajeff--

I hope your "stewing" goes well. I, too, have had 283 and 307 Chevys, but I´m partial to the old DBs. There are lots more Chevys around than 31 Dodge Brothers. Congrats on finding the Dodge; I hope you will keep it original. Its value is not just in dollars and cents. I´m a U.S. citizen living in Colombia, South America, while my DB sits in the States for now.

My thoughts exactly. I want to keep the Dodge looking just like it is now. We pulled the plugs on the Camaro and one cylinder is rusted up. Motor will not turn over. It is a 307 car so we pulled the motor today. Have an extra 283 that we are going to stick in it for now. The body on the Camaro is in extremely good shape. Pulled seats and carpet out for good thorough cleaning. There is no rust in the pans anywhere. Just barely seeing the start of it around the wheel well lips. overall very good. Now for the 31...................um still thinking on that one. Motor is locked up in it too. Going to stew on it a while.

There are a few 1931 DH6 engines out there to be had. Depending on your location, we can probably find you one near you. I hope that you keep it original. John

What a great find! Go slowly in your revival of this cool ride. Once things are "redone", it's final. I'm sorry my cars previous owner did a rattle can primer job over 80% of the body. A re-paint was the only choice. I hope you can keep the original patina, there's a lot more appreciation of that look now. Best of luck.

I hope you keep it original too. Those little motors aren't that hard to get freed up and running. It just takes a little time and alot of patience. I'd shoot some PB Blaster in each cylinder and on the valve stems and let her sit for couple of days and then do it again. If it don't free up then pull the motor and remove the head and pan and soak her down some more. Be gentle with the old gal I bet she has plenty of life left in her. Good Luck and Enjoy. Remember you're already lucky just in the fact that you found and was able to buy 2 old cars.

An wonderful discovery! I have to join the others in saying I hope you keep it as is. Clean it, preserve it, repair if necessary, but try not to replace where you can avoid it. To me half the fun in having these machines is to feel the driving experience as it would have been when they built. Yes it may be a bit slow and possibly uncomfortable, but most of us are not driving them as every day cars - they are our little time machines to transport us back to when life was a little simpler (although not necessarily easier!).

An wonderful discovery! I have to join the others in saying I hope you keep it as is. Clean it, preserve it, repair if necessary, but try not to replace where you can avoid it. To me half the fun in having these machines is to feel the driving experience as it would have been when they built. Yes it may be a bit slow and possibly uncomfortable, but most of us are not driving them as every day cars - they are our little time machines to transport us back to when life was a little simpler (although not necessarily easier!).

The 1931 Dodge Brothers coupe is VERY comfortable to drive and not that slow. Much more room and power than a Model A Ford and better engineered.

pop off the head and look at condition of the cylinders ...

stating at what you said about the camaro, might be rust in the cylinders from sitting to long ....

if there is any rust, pour a half of bottle vinger and keep it refreshed n topped off ....

wait a few days and that vinger will dissolve that rust .....

than you can break apart the motor if you decide to ...

Guest pbajeff
plus dont discord the old camaro block ...

is it a numbers matching block to the car ....??

No, numbers do not match up. Will keep it and tear it down and see if salvageable, but going to try and get it going for now with the 283.

Guest pbajeff

Thanks to all for all the tips and compliments. I am really excited about the Dodge. We are going to get the Camaro going asap and probably wind up selling it. Then I have a GTO that I have had 40 years since high school days. I building new motor for it and I am going to finish it up before start doing anything to the Dodge. I will see a guy this weekend that I know has a spare engine out of a 39. I am going to see what he is going to do with that as a possible backup. Lots of possibilities and ideas, but lots of time to decide too. Will keep you posted on progress.

Guest pbajeff
Thanks to all for all the tips and compliments. I am really excited about the Dodge. We are going to get the Camaro going asap and probably wind up selling it. Then I have a GTO that I have had 40 years since high school days. I building new motor for it and I am going to finish it up before start doing anything to the Dodge. I will see a guy this weekend that I know has a spare engine out of a 39. I am going to see what he is going to do with that as a possible backup. Lots of possibilities and ideas, but lots of time to decide too. Will keep you posted on progress.
Well, sold the Camaro as is last night. Now on to the GTO....................

Guest Henry White

That had to be so much fun to pull those two out of hibernation. I too, like the patina. Freshen up the running gear & tires etc on the 31 and do not paint. It's only original once. Save the hemi for a rougher car. just my opinion.

I would not even think about rodding that little gem - but then we generally do things differently over here. While you might want to keep it all original, the next owner may not see the car for what it is and stating the obvious, there is nothing we can do about that.

Enjoy it while you can. These finds are getting rare now and hopefully, one day, they will be appreciated.

Ray.

My opinion is that it would take someone with a complete lack of common sense and a total disregard for automotive history to do anything with this vehicle other than get it running and show it in any one of a number of different ways or at the least make is avail in some way to view by interested parties.

Have fun with it and keep it original, if thats not your cup of tea than offer it at a reasonable price to someone that will appreciate it and can afford it.

Its a beautiful car that deserves respect and I hope that you are willing to give it what it deserves.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

if you want to get that old dodge running here's what i'd do..

1.) pull the plugs, put a couple of table spoons of Mystery Oil or ATF (MM is the same thing as ATF, just MM cost a buck more and it has a cool bottle) down the spark plug holes.

2.) let it soak for a day or so.

3.) fine a crank handle for it..or make one..see it you can turn it by hand.If it turns by hand and you hear compression out of the spark plug holes..then onto 4

4.)get new spark plugs for it..don't worry you can be leave it or not you can buy plugs at any auto parts store for these old cars ( pm me and i'll tell you my trick)

6.) get new 6 volt battery..check the battery cables..if you need new ones Burnbam sells them..

7.)get it to fire off..if there is no spark first file the points..to simple "cheap" stuff first..then go from there..but what ever you do DON'T TAKE THE HEAD OFF!

if you need need any help or ? feel free to p.m me. just remember, if it ain't broke don't fix it. my '33 chrysler was sitting for 30,40,50 years and i did simple tune up and the '33 runs like a top. benny

Edited by 1933Mopar (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gregmse

Hi Keiser,

I am in Portland. I have had my aunt's 31 business coupe in Portland since the 80s. She bought it new. I have the title. Always been indoors. My business neighbor has expressed interest in buying it. It is in fairly similar condition to the one in this picture. I need to know what a fair price is for the car. I have not made an agreement with my new neighbor, so the car is still up for sale. I really am going to need the room. It needs to go to a good home.

Thanks,

Greg Lapinski

Cell: 503-756-5567

Guest pbajeff

The original title?? wow, that would be cool to have in itself. The motor is out of the GTO, torn down, and off to the machine shop. This weekend going to try and find some wheels and tires to put on this thing just to get it so can roll it around. Then will start doing some cleaning and tinkering to see if can figure out what might be wrong with the motor. Wife wants me to hurry up and get this one going because it is "cuter".... lol