Sign in to follow this  
1936 D2

Dodge Fast Six Law Enforcement Special 4 door sedan 1929 ?

Is there such a specific thing? This is a "For Sale" ad I saw. In the ad it says that "The series carried it's own serial range and this is 8XX." This "Law Enforcement Special" is also said to have a "Lower center of gravity". $5500.00 US in the ad. That seems pretty close at least.

Dodge Fast Six Law Enforcement Special 4 door sedan 1929 for sale - PreWarCar

The ad states this car has been in the same family since 1935 when it was purchased at a Birmingham (AL?) Police Auction and then driven until 1950.

Apparently a tool kit also comes with the car. How much of that is original?

post-67404-143141883343_thumb.jpg

post-67404-143141883334_thumb.jpg

post-67404-143141883338_thumb.jpg

post-67404-14314188334_thumb.jpg

Looks like a standard 1929 Dodge Brothers DA6, to me. Sometimes rumors or tales of previous owners tend to follow the car. Sounds like someone mixed up the "fast four" story with history. Maybe they saw this and decided their car was a police car.

post-37352-143141883344_thumb.jpg

I would like to know what makes it a special police car model.

Chassis/bodies could be purchased and equipped for law enforcement agencies but I have never heard of a special serial number range and doubt this too be correct. I cannot remember the various companies that were advertised as doing this work for Dodge special equipment division but I do have and can find the literature that gives pictures/details if anyone is interested.

Seller is guessing about the details, there was only one model ( a 2 Dr. ) that used wood throughout its body as infrastructure, this is an ordinary Budd body I am sure, the lower center of gravity is implied because the tires are rotted off of it I am sure, they all had 4 wheel hyd. brakes, no such thing as a fast six, he is confusing with the fast 4 and the only time you will see that car moving at 100 MPH would be if it were to be dropped from a plane at high altitude.

I have no doubt it was purchased by his grandfather but unless he is 8 years old today I dont think it was purchased by his great grandfather and put into daily use in the 50s, tools are incorrect for the most part.

I dont think his asking price is un-reasonable but I would think it could be lowered a bit as a starting point.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

We have a 1936 Dodge 1 1/2 ton that the #s don't show up anywhere except under Government #s issued by Chry.

Looks more like a criminal's car due to the bullet hole under the rear window.

We have a 1936 Dodge 1 1/2 ton that the #s don't show up anywhere except under Government #s issued by Chry.

How about some more details Dave

I once was shown a late 20s Studebaker roadster that I was told was a 'sheriff's special'. It was a BIG car. It had at least one spot light but the most peculiar thing was a round hole cut in the windshield. My friend told me,with a very straight face, that it was there so a gun could be fired through it at the bad guys car during the chase. I kid you not. It had some sheriff's departments name on the doors and it was apparently a local car to the barn in North Dakota where I saw it. Studebaker at that time was one of the fastest cars you could buy and held several speed records. It was assumed it had been purchased to chase down bootleggers bringing booze in from Canada during Prohibition. The Canadian border was only about 10 miles north of this point.

I once was shown a late 20s Studebaker roadster that I was told was a 'sheriff's special'. It was a BIG car. It had at least one spot light but the most peculiar thing was a round hole cut in the windshield. My friend told me,with a very straight face, that it was there so a gun could be fired through it at the bad guys car during the chase. I kid you not. It had some sheriff's departments name on the doors and it was apparently a local car to the barn in North Dakota where I saw it. Studebaker at that time was one of the fastest cars you could buy and held several speed records. It was assumed it had been purchased to chase down bootleggers bringing booze in from Canada during Prohibition. The Canadian border was only about 10 miles north of this point.

Yes...it was very common to have a hole in the windshield for the police cars.

I have pictures of police cars with the hole in the windshield and a rubber surround encompassing the hole fore firearm use. Id like to see pictures of this Stude.

Sorry I did not have a camera with me. It was in a dark old barn at this guy's aunt's home outside Mountain ,North Dakota. (I remember we drove past one of those ICBM units that was in a field near the home.)

Price is currently dropping on these secondary sites. Now down to $4800.00

Auto Classifieds: 1929 Dodge Fast Six Police Car for sale in Daviston, AL

So do we have any more info on what makes that particular Serial Number series (8XX) "special"? Is there such a series for that model?

I tend to agree with "Keiser", especially concerning the bullet hole in the back. (Which was either a Police bullet or a hunter's bullet while the car was stored.) I'm thinking this vehicle was a "suspect's" car and was confiscated or impounded by the Police. Once court issues are handled concerning the "evidence", the car would be sold at auction. So yes, the car was probably bought at the Police auction but most likely was the suspect's car and not necessarily a "Squad Car". The rest of the story was most likely made up "back in the day" maybe to impress the grand kids. And then the story stuck.

Still curious about the Serial Number thing though.

Edited by 1936 D2 (see edit history)

Sorry I did not have a camera with me. It was in a dark old barn at this guy's aunt's home outside Mountain ,North Dakota. (I remember we drove past one of those ICBM units that was in a field near the home.)

I am going to take a guess that during the war there were Chrysler manufactured vehicles that were never intended for general population ergo the serial number debacle that Dave mentioned seeing on one of his trucks, I googled ICBM but came up with nothing but am assuming this fits in line with what I have just mentioned. Can you tell me more or correct me, maybe know of a good book that goes into details I can read?