Backyard car graveyard, Dallas

Guest PhippsAuto

Guest PhippsAuto

Such a shame to see this kind of thing, and it's just a few blocks down from our auto repair shop in Dallas. The man says basically it's all for sale, but he's asking too much for most of it given the condition it's all in. My husband went and took pictures; this is just HALF of what the man has. He says there were several Thunderbirds, several Ferraris, Aston Martins, a SHELBY (!), Bristols, etc. There was also some other pretty cool stuff, like old iron gates, old streetlights, etc. Again, it's a shame it's all been left to sit and rust instead of being worked on and either put back on the road or at least parted out.

post-53904-14314188228_thumb.jpg

post-53904-143141882306_thumb.jpg

post-53904-14314188233_thumb.jpg

Edited by PhippsAuto
Edited to remove link to more photos, per owner's request (see edit history)

Guest Henry White

I have seen so many similar collections. They either rot into the ground or get crushed whole once the county gets involved. Very few get rescued, shame.

Somehow I doubt too many Aston's , Bristol's etc. get crushed. The man's asking price may seem high, but he is probably looking for a European buyer. In most cases cars like this are quite a bit more valuable in the European market. It is unfortunate for us in North America , but many of us are being priced out of the vintage/ classic car market. I live in Western Canada; we have stratospheric real estate prices, a generally high cost of living, and pretty so-so wages. There are a fair number of British and European cars locally. MANY are being exported . When they come up for sale few locals have the disposable income necessary to purchase and rebuild them. They are regularly packed into a container and shipped to the new owner. Same for Motorcycles and spare parts accumulations. The internet and cheap shipping have become a real game changer. Greg in Canada

Guest PhippsAuto

post-53904-143141885896_thumb.jpg

Went back yesterday and actually got him to let me drag this 1957 Thunderbird out to work on it and get it running again. At least that's one car we'll get back on the road!

Edited by PhippsAuto (see edit history)

My father-in-law never sold anything. He had Chevrolet cars dating back to about 1929 and several trucks of the Advanced Design years that he'd used in his saw milling days. Then his son moved in and added several items to the collection. To make a long story short, F-I-L and M-I-L and B-I-L all passed away and someone took it on themselves to shoot the windows out of about every thing on the place. Another B-I-L has hauled a bunch of them to the scrapper. My wife sold a very rough '38 Chevrolet coupe and a '56 Chevy 150 sedan to a guy and he hauled them off yesterday. Supposedly he will restore them so I guess that saved 2 of them. There is a '64 Chevy wagon still there that looks restorable and a rough 2-ton Chevy truck. The truck belongs to my wife and is for sale. Don't know if another family member is getting the wagon or if not, or why it was not taken to the scrapper. It looked especially good seeing the coupe go to a owner that says he will restore it.

Guest PhippsAuto

This man is finally getting around to selling everything, starting with all the Jaguars. I think it's getting through to him that he'll need to be more realistic about pricing it all. We'll see.

Somehow I doubt too many Aston's , Bristol's etc. get crushed.

Somehow I doubt the average scrapper knows what these cars are let alone cares. The names don't indicate the weight, so they don't matter to those who are only worried about the amount of metal.

Good to see these cars getting sold.

Went to a salvage yard auction the other day and the scrap guys were buying most of the cars. They stole one from me that I won, too. They didnt' care what it was, I went back to get another car and the one decent F1 panel that was up there, they'd purposely smashed the rear doors on it.

"Scrappers" are more concerned with weight than what weighs that much. Being the somewhat opportunistic sort they usually can be, "anything" is better than "nothing".

EVERYTHING in the "collection" was really nice at one time, like when they were parked, but some really ARE just worthless rusty metal. Not particularly cost-effective to restore . . . on ANY continent. But if somebody has enough time and money and "love", that's who needs to end up with them.

Now, the quesiton might be . . . "Is it better to let them rust and/or decay into the ground or to put them back on the road in a (more cost effective) "modified" form??? (And THAT could start a whole 'nuther thread, er "fabric" of posts)

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Guest PhippsAuto

FYI, the man whose lot this is asked us not to post photos of the cars on the Internet, so we have taken down the photo album we put up on our Facebook page. Even though we didn't give his name or his location, he was apparently worried that someone would see the photos and come try to steal his cars.

We have tried to tell him that he will have to put photos up if he wants to sell anything, but we're not pushing him on this. My husband isn't getting anything out of this except a little bit of car work, so he doesn't want to get more involved with the man and his son.