1929 Pierce Arrow Eight Cylinder Convertible Coupe

Guest jimbrodes@cox.net

Guest jimbrodes@cox.net

1929 Pierce Arrow Eight Cylinder Convertible Coupe on the long 143" wheelbase with rumble seat. Grecian Bronze and Chocolate. Runs as good as it looks. For price, details and more photos, contact Jim Brodes 520-298-2273, cell 520-237-9553 e-mail jimbrodes@cox.net OR Howard Schaevitz 609-386-3466. Car situated in New Jersey.

post-68657-143141881087_thumb.jpg

post-68657-143141881059_thumb.jpg

Nice car but here we go again with the price. First thing a potential buyer wants to know is the price. That way you may only get serious buyers contacting you.

I agree. No price....no interest.

The price of posting a FREE AD is to abide by the posting rules. If this forum seems a bit too egalitarian, there are other advertising options that might target a more select crowd.

I bought 2 cars last year a very nice 60 Fuel injected Corvette and a 36 Cord 810 Phaeton. Spending just north of 6 figures for the 2. I only persued either of them because they were advertised with a price. Serious buyers want to know the price up front anything else is a waste of time in a world where many people don't have have time to spare.

Guest bofusmosby

Rules are rules, plain and simple. This reminds me of the people that are always parking in the fire lanes at the stores. They must think that they are too good for the rules. Hog-wash!

Guest Rob McDonald

On the other hand, i thank the moderator for not having removed this non-complying thread yet, so that I can enjoy another look at this fabulous car, which would been even prettier, without the danged whitewalls.

Guest brass-is-class

Lets give "auburnseeker" and all who are of the same opinion a lesson. Obviously, you have a lot of time on your hands to complain because you have nothing better to do. But, for your edification, here it is. Read carefully!

1. Not posting the price attracts only INTERESTED BUYERS. Listing a price has a disadvantage of scaring away potential customers that otherwise might have enough interest to pursue contacting the buyer. That allows the parties to actually contact each other (that personal touch) and chances are much better for negotiations on coming together on a price. As far as not having the time... are you serious? Nothing precludes one from taking 5 seconds of their time to dial the sellers number on one's cell phone or shoot a quick e-mail. Are you that lazy?

2. Privacy issues are involved. It's not the government's (big brother's) business, ie., the tax man.

So, with that said, I would petition the webmaster to explain why this is the rule. Was this a unilateral decision? Was this the decision of the AACA Board of Directors? I hope the mindset isn't, "well, it's been that way for years..." If there is no logical reason for the rule, then it ought to be dispensed with and it should be up to the discretion of the seller. I'm a Life Member of this club for close to 40 years, and a general member of AACA since I was 16 years old. I'm also not a sheep. You have to tell me, and frankly most thinking people would agree, why something "is" the way that it is and have a legitimate argument to support your position.

Edited by brass-is-class (see edit history)

Guest brass-is-class

Excuse me, but I'm not selling anything. As an AACA member, my dues, as well as all other AACA members, support this site.

Kind of hard to be a freeloader, wouldn't you say?

I asked for open debate on the subject rule. If you have a position, I and many in my camp would like to hear it.

So carry on if you have a legitimate argument. Let's compare positions without the malice and see who others support.

So, with that said, I would petition the webmaster to explain why this is the rule. Was this a unilateral decision? Was this the decision of the AACA Board of Directors? I hope the mindset isn't, "well, it's been that way for years..." If there is no logical reason for the rule, then it ought to be dispensed with and it should be up to the discretion of the seller. .........

The rule of posting of prices was a suggestion to help one get better results. As others have posted, if there is no price, they move on. As far as removing it, there's no point in doing that either. From all of the posts concerning this car, there is certainly interest in the vehicle. I would prefer that the discussion not be so ugly though. That is completely unnecessary.

Wayne

Having bought literally hundreds of cars over my half century on the planet has shown me one simple truth about car ads... When they don't have a price, it is usually because the seller KNOWS it is way over-priced and may be too embarrassed to list it.

Guest brass-is-class
The rule of posting of prices was a suggestion to help one get better results. As others have posted, if there is no price, they move on. As far as removing it, there's no point in doing that either. From all of the posts concerning this car, there is certainly interest in the vehicle. I would prefer that the discussion not be so ugly though. That is completely unnecessary.

Wayne

Thank you for your input Mr. Burgess. I greatly appreciate it as do many others who post on this site, that you have cleared up the issue at hand. You have defined the price listing as a SUGGESTION. You have read my reasons why I and maybe others, feel that as good or better results may be obtained by not listing the price. They are legitimate concerns. So it seems to me that both sides of the issue have merit. If you would change the rule to read "PRICE (Optional)", that would leave it to the discretion of the seller. If the price is not listed, those that aren't interested won't take a second glance. Those that would like to pursue it further will contact the seller. In any case, however it is listed, the seller decides whether to take the chance that listing the price or not listing the price will help him or her sell their vehicle. Again, I must emphasize, ... the only one taking the chance that the method used to sell the vehicle will be successful, IS THE SELLER. That is how a free market works. I think it is immature and petty for others to make comment to deride people who post vehicles for sale, because of the manner that they (the seller) decide. After all, it is their vehicle. Some comments posted here remind me of little children in a classroom tattle-tailing on their classmates pointing their finger. Leave the person to post their item for sale without snarky comments. Seeing those comments prompted me to post the responses that I did. I have not previously sold anything on this site to date, but I may want to in the future. As long as we are honest and decent people using this venue, why are we making such fuss over such a minor thing and causing hard feelings toward others? You are also correct in saying that there would be no point in taking the ad down. To what end would you? So I agree with you. Totally unnecessary on both accounts. I hope you will make this change to the rules so that the controversy will be laid to rest. This way, sellers will have the freedom to add the price or not, and prospective buyers will have the choice of whether to pursue interest in the vehicle or not. A pretty fair proposition for everyone. Thank you very much. I look forward to your reply.

I, too, feel the price should be listed.

If someone wants that particular car, and can afford it, then listing the price isn't going to scare them away, if said listed price is in the range of the fair market value of the vehicle. Overpriced cars will get few or no responses, and the seller thus should get the message..

On the other hand, I'd be willing to bet that there are collectors who look at such a car thinking "man, wish I could afford that", thinking that it's probably way out of their pocketbook ball park, but who, if a reasonable price were listed, would say "hey, wait a minute, I might be able to come up with that...." I know in my case, this has happened a lot of times.....my recently acquired '67 Continental convertible, for example, had he not listed a price I would have just assumed it was high and never called, but when I saw the dollar figure I knew that it was easily doable......

In reality, even if a price is listed, that still doesn't tell anyone what the final deal amount was, and I seriously doubt the IRS has someone reading our forum and taking notes....

And finally, I don't believe Wayne meant that the "suggestion" applied to the forum rules, but rather when the rules were being made it was a "suggestion" to have price included a condition, and thus it became a rule....

Guest brass-is-class

If someone wants that particular car, and can afford it, then listing the price isn't going to scare them away, if said listed price is in the range of the fair market value of the vehicle. Overpriced cars will get few or no responses, and the seller thus should get the message..

On the other hand, I'd be willing to bet that there are collectors who look at such a car thinking "man, wish I could afford that", thinking that it's probably way out of their pocketbook ball park, but who, if a reasonable price were listed, would say "hey, wait a minute, I might be able to come up with that...." I know in my case, this has happened a lot of times.....my recently acquired '67 Continental convertible, for example, had he not listed a price I would have just assumed it was high and never called, but when I saw the dollar figure I knew that it was easily doable......

In reality, even if a price is listed, that still doesn't tell anyone what the final deal amount was, and I seriously doubt the IRS has someone reading our forum and taking notes....

And finally, I don't believe Wayne meant that the "suggestion" applied to the forum rules, but rather when the rules were being made it was a "suggestion" to have price included a condition, and thus it became a rule....

Thank you David for the civil discourse. It's very much appreciated. I do disagree though and still stick by my reasons. The seller ought to have the freedom to choose. It's their car. If the choice of listing the price or not hurts his or her chances for a sale, then that his or her choice. It hurts them as you said. No one else. If that's what they want to do, they should be able to. Why do others want to abridge that freedom? Your basic premise concurs with what I have been saying. If buyers don't want to pursue it, then they won't. Why is it anyone else's business how the seller wants to sell the car as long as it's a legitimate sale? I've bought cars where I had to contact the seller and the conversations I've had were very fruitful and also led to other opportunities.

One person posted that he thought the person who is selling this car, if he doesn't want to state the price, is basically a snob. He basically said, go sell it in high-end venues then, if your not stating the price. That is not right and he has no business saying that. Everyone here is equal. This kind of class warfare should not be engaged in and tolerated in this site. But I thank you very much for your response.

Bingo. The reason I aquired a 1936 Cord Phaeton last year that I would have never called on if it didn't have the price. I figured I would never be able to own one. Well every penny I had, a small loan from the wife etc. and I now have the pleasure of owning one of my dream cars.

Guest bofusmosby

I really don't believe that it is a matter of posting the price, but rather abiding by the rules. The rules were NEVER called suggestions before Wayne's post. I have read where one of the moderators would say to a poster to abide by the rules, or risk the post/listing being pulled. This has nothing to do with ones opinion. I personally like seeing the price listed, but I must admit, I am in no position of making any offers, not even on a grocery cart. It really doesn't matter to me.

When the rules are changed to "suggestions", then all will be well. Until then, they are stated as rules.

May I suggest that a simple phone call or e-mail to either of the numbers listed below would allow one to figure out whether this vehicle could reside in their garage?

"For price, details and more photos, contact Jim Brodes 520-298-2273, cell 520-237-9553 e-mail jimbrodes@cox.net OR Howard Schaevitz 609-386-3466."

I would suggest putting a lock on the ad when posted. That way ,only contact will come through the means stated in the ad.

If you're not interested , you will probably never know the price.

Even if a price is listed , you may never know what it sold for.

I think a lot of people are glad he chose to list it here , to give those interested a chance at owning it.

BUT , I'm concerned about the " suggestion" , are the other rules a suggestion?

I really like this forum , the most civil car forum on the internet .

I can see why some are upset that this car does not need a price , but others are told their ad can be pulled if the

" Rules / suggestions aren't followed.

Not meaning to step on toes , just observing both sides.

I'm a user of this forum , and have no complaints about it at all , just a little concerned.

Thanks Wayne for your time and effort you spend here , tough spot to be in.