1936 Buick Headliner

Guest KeithElwell

Guest KeithElwell

I am trying to finish with sound deadener and insulation installation in my 1936 Buick Special coupe and trying to anticipate wiring, dome light wood support, etc. that will need to be in place before the headliner goes in. So I finally paid attention to a bracket that is in the ceiling just behind the windshield. It has 4 fastener holes in it and 2 of these holes are still occupied by sheet metal screws maybe 1" long. This has obviously been on the car from the factory, it does not look home-made. But I don't have a clue what it is for. My car did not have a headliner in it when I got it so I don't know what the bracket or screws were for. Is it possible that headliner fabric alone does not go all the way forward to the windshield molding and maybe the first 3 or 4 inches above/behind the windsheld molding is a fabric covered panel of some sort that fastens to this bracket? If so, I have no pictures of original cars with any fastener heads showing in this area. See my attached photo. Please advise.

post-43647-143141880875_thumb.jpg

Joel is correct--it is for mounting speaker. My car did not have cieling mounted speaker, was mounted under dash but did have the pressed board which would accomodate the speaker. I still have the wood piece as form and actually have mounted on bracket your referring to. Not replaced headliner and would suspect I will most likely remove as it appears it might interfere as the board I used appears to be a bit stiffer than the original board.

Rod

Guest born2lose

not to change the subject but what brand insulation is that? Also mine has that same bracket to that had a piece of wood mounted to it with 4 mounting holes

Guest KeithElwell

The first layer of material you don't see is Peel and Seal from Lowe's. It is my low buck replacement for Dynomat that I installed to help deaden sound. The P&S is actually a very sticky rubbery consistncy with aluminum foil backing and is less than 1/8" thick. Then I applied the EZ Cool insulation with 3M spray adhesive for added sound and temperature insulation. I got a 4' x 6' roll of the stuff at a swap meet for $20 but you can get it online at ezcool.us. I also got a roll of very similar stuff from Lowe's that I will use if the EZC stuff runs out. The Lowe's stuff is reflective bubble insulation 16" x 25', p/n ST16025.