Sign in to follow this  
jrbartlett

Life of Wood Trailer Floor

How long does a 3/4-inch treated plywood floor tend to last in an enclosed car hauler? Does anyone put in 1-inch plywood to gain strength, or is it unneeded?

I use 5/8" untreated plywood in the back of my open pickup truck, and it lasts about 7-8 years. I move pianos (and cars) in it, so it gets used a lot. I'd expect it would last much longer in an enclosed trailer.

Phil

James,

I've always specified a steel diamond deckplate, or an all-aluminum floor for my enclosed trailers.

Living in the wet, humid south, I believe that wood floors are less desireable, and will eventually rot or give way.

It's a terrible job but the life of wood floor can be extended by painting the underside of the trailer.

If you mean pressure treated yellow pine it will last the life of the trailer against rot. Impossible to answer your question regards 3/4 vs 1" without knowing the construction of the floor frame and how you are using/abusing it............Bob