1930 Model A have trouble with condeser

Guest Libnmar

Guest Libnmar

Please I need help, The car runs great, I will go out drive for a while and all is ok, every so often when I try to start the car it wont start, chek for spark and always find my conderser is bad.

Can someone please help me find ou what is wrong?

Sometimes excessive heat from the engine will kill a condensor; I'm not sure of the quaility of the parts you're using,maybe a cheap Indian or Chinese product. I changed out my distributor upper plate with a modern unit with modern points and condensor and just mounted a regular condensor for looks. Never had condensor problems again and it was much easier to set timing.

Guest Libnmar

Thank you, I too have a modern unit in my distributor, like you said the condenser may be cheap quality, I got them from MACS auto parts, I will try and get a good quality one and try it.

Thanks again for your reply

Libnmar,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. I have always had good luck with Condensers and other parts from Bratton's. Do you have the Les Andrew's Model A Repair Manual? It is available from any of the Model A vendors. It has some pretty good troubleshooting flow charts and other information that will often help diagnose similar problems. It is not that uncommon to have a minor elusive problem such as a frayed pigtail wire causing electrical gremlins that often get misdiagnosed. The Model A is simple, but sometimes people have a difficult time diagnosing fuel or electrical problems in a Model A.

Are you running a 6 volt battery and stock ignition coil? Is your battery in good condition and the connections nice and clean? Something that can fry a condensor is more voltage than it is rated for. If your battery is "isolated" from the generator because of poor connections, the voltage the generator produces will spike (the battery regulates the generator voltage), and could be burning out the condensor.

Guest Libnmar
Are you running a 6 volt battery and stock ignition coil? Is your battery in good condition and the connections nice and clean? Something that can fry a condensor is more voltage than it is rated for. If your battery is "isolated" from the generator because of poor connections, the voltage the generator produces will spike (the battery regulates the generator voltage), and could be burning out the condensor.

Thank you for your comment, I found a faulty connection on a quick diconnect that is instaled between the battery and the starter, so far is all going good.

I will post again and let you all know.

Thank you all for your help.

Glad that simple fix seems to have been the problem. I'd say that 90% of electrical gremlins in old cars are due to bad grounds and corroded connections. Bright and tight is the way to go on every wiring connection.