'29 DA brakes

I am still working on my wood wheels, but while I have them off I thought I'd look at the brakes. I redid these about 1976-77. At the time I got new wheel bearings, new wheel cylinder kits, new brake springs and new brake linings installed. The car sat for the last 25+ years and I had put maybe 2000 miles on the car from '78- '85. In removing the wheel brake fluid leaked out onto everything, but is all dry and I'm in the process of cleaning everything up. I do have new brake hoses to replace the originals, but will attempt to fit on the old brass fittings to these....also, I have read to replace the old copper brake lines w/ something that is stronger, but has a copper color. My questions are these:

1) I assume the 35+ year old Timken wheel bearings are still good; just clean throughly and regrease.

2) I assume brake springs that are 35+ years old are still good...or is metal fatigue a concern?

3) The wheel cylinder rubber is still pliable...also, I have replacement wheel cylinder rubber from 35+ years ago that is still pliable....can this still be used or is the rubber too old?

4) The brake fluid did leak onto the brake linings, but it is all dried up at this point....do I need to replace brake linings?

Again, though the work had been done 35+ years ago I only put 2000 miles on the car, but maybe age or brake fluid leakage took their toll. Any help is much appreciated!

If the rubber parts are still pliable with absolutely no signs of cracking, I would use them. Check them closely. The metal parts such as springs and bearings should be o.k. to use. The linings can be washed down with rubbing alcohol to degrease. It will evaporate.

The rubbers can and prob. have shrunk over time which leads to the possibility of not sealing to the bore, there are a number of other possibilities/reasons why I would replace the wheel cylinder kit. They are cheap and its cheap insurance for not having to take them off again. Just because you cannot see cracks and they appear pliable is not the end all be all for saying they are still worth using.

Chances are better than not you would be ok but I wouldnt take the chance myself.

In my opinion yes, I just went thru this on an early 50s Ford truck, (recently ) I purchased NOS Fomoco wheel cylinders and kits for the truck, had been sitting on a shelf since new, ( in original boxes ) I had 6 wheel cylinders to go thru, 4 out of the 6 did not give me any problems, two of them had shrunk and leaked, I eneded up replacing all 6 rather than screw with it again in the future.

Roll the dice maybe, you might be OK but again a wheel cylinder kit is 5-6 dollars tops, for me it depends how my finances are at the time. Good luck. BTW you can also use laquer thinner to wipe down your pads, maybe easier to get at and maybe cheaper,just dont soak them