1924 Star Speedster

ShawnLancaster

I found this in CT about a month ago and have been starting to have some fun. It didn't run (no choke) and needed a new elec fuel pump. Starts like a dream in about 1/2 turn of the starter. It wasn't charging so we adjusted the 3rd brush and now it all works. I had it out on a dirt road and it is very torque-y and I was pretty easily able to spin the tires.

Some of the modifications:

- Custom body - firewall back in steel over tube box frame.

- Conversion to an updraft carb - by using what looks like a 6 cylinder manifold and cutting it down to 4. Never saw that before

- Installed a different trans (GM 3 speed all synchro - unsure the year) and created an aluminum adapter plate (with a Crosley speedometer)

- Custom cycle fenders

- Installed a 1961-1964 VW distributor with custom aluminum housing

- 19" Dayton wire wheels with Dunlop tires

Does any one know of the car? The builder was Robert Glorioso of Clinton PA. Any ideas on the Make of the Headlights?

Hopefully registering this month and drive it a bit.

post-80548-143141876717_thumb.jpg

post-80548-14314187672_thumb.jpg

post-80548-143141876723_thumb.jpg

I'm near Framingham. Glastonbury is a possibility. I lived for a time in Vernon. The lenses are 9 1/2" in diameter and looks to be nickel plated. I'll post some pictures of the dash/ engine next week. I'm going to install some model a tail lights. Thinking what to do with turn signals, but still keeping the vintage look.

Sounds great Shawn, would love to have you in Glastonbury. Hopefully registration is not too tricky in MA. Registration concerns are one of the things I am thinking about as I consider taking the speedster plunge. While not nearly as exotic as some of you guys point out, I am thinking Model A based right now as I have seen a couple of good rolling chassis in the past couple months.

Love the drum headlights and yes, they look Packard to me as well. I have always found the left hand is a pretty effective turn signal on prewar cars (Model A Ford, Packard, and a couple others..) but if you intend to put a lot of miles on adding them may make some sense. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Star is the one car that I wonder why it did not put the Model T Ford out of production. Very underappreciated as far as it's drivablity and being so user friendy.

Nice work was done on that angle drive for a distributor. Most of the original angle drives are broken, as they were made of that one type of diecast that crumbles to dust.

It was the fastest starting antique I have owned, a 25 touring made into a WW2 truck. I would let people sit in it, and tell them to step on the starter button, but let go as soon as humanly possible. No matter how quick of a jab, it would start.

My former Star is in East Windsor CT, and he has a spare chassis, rads, etc, and he has a 1940s built beautiful small utility trailer with Star axle and wheels/hubcaps

Nice photos, Thanks. Just out of pure curiosity, Why the electric fan? There is no need for it.

I am only curious and Im not judging your choice.

The electric fan was already installed when i bought it. The builder never put a fan belt on it. (not sure why). I haven't changed it up.

• 4 weeks later...

So its registered and inspected. Drove it a bit over the weekend - still troubleshooting. The voltage cut off isn't working and ordered a new one. Gas gauge doesn't work etc. I lowered the fuel pump pressure to .75 and its running a lot cleaner. Hopefully the weather holds out this week and I can put some miles on it.

Guest QGolden
The electric fan was already installed when i bought it. The builder never put a fan belt on it. (not sure why). I haven't changed it up.

Be careful with the fan if/when you change it out. Old fans on Model A's are notorious for having small cracks that fail catastrophically at full engine RPM's. I do not know if it would or could apply to your application, but if it were to come apart at 2,000 RPM's it would sure do damage to the hood and radiator. The PO might have put a 'lectric one on for that reason. Try to find a new repop if you can.