Can you give me an engine swap link?

ncgirl05

Just a straight Reatta to Reatta engine swap - no supercharger, nothing fancy - straight swap. Looking for a thread that has things to consider, time usually spent, best processes, etc. I am assuming this has been asked before (since every possible question has likely been asked once) but I cannot find anything except supercharger/other engine types swap info. Also, can an '89 engine go into a '90 or are there too many differences?

Thanks in advance!

The FSM (Factory Service Manual) provides a pretty good instructional on how to remove and replace the engine. It shouldn't be too difficult if you are exchanging like for like. I don't think you will find any major problems swapping an '89 into a '90. You will have problems swapping a '91 engine into anything besides a '91. Actually, any 3800 engine with the VIN code of C should be a straight swap. The '91s have a VIN code of L.

Thank you Barney. My two main concerns were 1) could I swap an 89 into a 90 and 2) all those electrics!! Great idea on the video.

We are considering getting another Reatta but it has 225k miles on it. We have a couple no longer in commission that are parts cars - not due to engine issues but other things like body and electric gremlins. If we decide to buy then it will definitely be recorded.

Thank you Barney. My two main concerns were 1) could I swap an 89 into a 90 and 2) all those electrics!! Great idea on the video.

We are considering getting another Reatta but it has 225k miles on it. We have a couple no longer in commission that are parts cars - not due to engine issues but other things like body and electric gremlins. If we decide to buy then it will definitely be recorded.

If you swap one to the other, you just have to make sure you leave the harness in the car. They're very different and will not work. The motors should match up though

Yes, any "C" (8th digit in VIN) motor will swap. Remove the hood first and follow the factory service manual (available for free download from reatta.net). Watch out for the bacwards facing bolt on the transmission, may need every extension you have.

Note there are some mount differences between 88 and 89-90 and "C" engines were used through '91 in other car lines.