1932 nash model 1080 ride adjust

Guest mhbcbish

Guest mhbcbish

I just bought a 1932 Nash model 1080 sedan and am looking for any and all info/ pics on the ride adjustment system

my 32 is the smaller 1060 model, and the ride control on that model is a series of linkages from the center dash handle, down to each shock absorber. It adjusts a valve in the shock to reduce or increase fluid flow in the shock as it moves.

I will try to help if I can. My car is is apart as far as that handle and rod ass'y, but I have all of the underdash parts I believe.

I will try to take some pics as I find the main part that goes under the dash.

As I recall, it is a rotating rod facing forward from the back side of the handle. As that center rod rotates with your dash lever, there are right and left connecting rods that move left to right. Those hook to mini-shafts that stick through the firewall on each side, up top.

From those, there are rods going straight down on the outside of the firewall.

Pics will help understand what I tried to write :)

Many of my parts are stored away, but I did find the center rod that goes straight forward from the dash lever, also the "T" linkage part on the front of the rod, and also one side connector link that goes from the center "T" out to the outside of the firewall at a short swivel lever. From that point, it passes through the firewall and another link goes straight down on the underhood side.

Pic was taken through the empty passenger side glove box door. The center rod is not held up in the correct location at the dashboard, so it may look tilted. It should go through the hole in the dashboard, and sit into a hole in the center brace that is welded to the cowl, that is shown in the pic.

On the forward side of that center brace, I am fairly certain there is a coiled spring slid onto the end of the center rod, then a cotter pin keeps the spring on. The spring gives some resistance to keep the rod from rattling or rotating on it's own as you drive.

post-59419-143141875407_thumb.jpg