Rubber Gearshift Surround

Taylormade

Here are some additional pics that will answer some questions and clarify the details.

The two shots showing the shifter pad in place and missing show the hole that the pad covers. It's large enough that you can see why they included the metal sheet in the pad. Without it I would think that rubber material alone would, over time, sink down into the hole enough to cause a depression in the pad, or even allow something sharp to poke through (a high heel?!)

You'll also see that there is no rubber boot covering the lower end of the shift lever assembly...just a larger metal housing, but there IS a rubber seal between the housing and the thin upper part of the shift lever.

The shot with the mirror shows that the side of the hand brake lever towards the front of the car has an open channel. If you then look at the close up shot of the pad you'll see that the pad has a "tab" that fits into the handle channel!

Another example of the attention to details by those DB engineers!

post-61720-143141872394_thumb.jpg

post-61720-143141872409_thumb.jpg

post-61720-143141872423_thumb.jpg

post-61720-143141872436_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phil 32DL6 (see edit history)

I would tend to believe that the "tab" was not purposely cut for the handbrake handle, but was cut down or mashed in due to the pushing the handle forward against the rubber pad. It's just that I have never seen one with a "tab" and believe me when I say that I have seen quite a few of them.

Here are some additional pics that will answer some questions and clarify the details.

The two shots showing the shifter pad in place and missing show the hole that the pad covers. It's large enough that you can see why they included the metal sheet in the pad. Without it I would think that rubber material alone would, over time, sink down into the hole enough to cause a depression in the pad, or even allow something sharp to poke through (a high heel?!)

You'll also see that there is no rubber boot covering the lower end of the shift lever assembly...just a larger metal housing, but there IS a rubber seal between the housing and the thin upper part of the shift lever.

The shot with the mirror shows that the side of the hand brake lever towards the front of the car has an open channel. If you then look at the close up shot of the pad you'll see that the pad has a "tab" that fits into the handle channel!

Another example of the attention to details by those DB engineers!

Better pictures, yes I can see what you mean, it is quite a bit wider than my own and I bet that the heat over the years would cause it to droop if it not for the metal reinf. Do you have a similar pad for your pedals, I am assuming you do and is that the very corner of it that I see in your pictures, might be the accelerator pedal I guess.

I see the tab and makes sense that it fits the slot in the hand brake lever, I am just curious if that portion is re-enforced as well, I guess I should assume not.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

I think I have come up with an innovative way to reproduce the pad and use that prototype for the mold. It may take a week or two, but I'll post pictures if and when I get it done. I plan to use Devcon 94 urethane rubber, as I have in the past, to make the final piece. With Phil's photos and measurements I have all the information I need. I just have to order some inexpensive materials and I'm ready to go.

Let me know if you still are in need of that packet, I was planning on digging for it this weekend

The pad sits on a steel plate, so it will have to be removed to see the number.

I apologize for speculating that there was a steel plate beneath the pad on the '32. I thought it closer resembled the '31.

I would tend to believe that the "tab" was not purposely cut for the handbrake handle, but was cut down or mashed in due to the pushing the handle forward against the rubber pad. It's just that I have never seen one with a "tab" and believe me when I say that I have seen quite a few of them.
John's comments sent me back to have another look, and John seems to be right about that "tab." I also have some other comments to make...after I do a bit of Photoshopping later. Edited by Phil 32DL6 (see edit history)

So after doing some further poking, prodding, flexing and soul searching today here's what I've concluded (see attached image). It appears that the opening for the hand brake shifter lever was originally created by two drilled holes with a slit between them. When the rubber was new and flexible, it was simply forced over the head of the hand brake and molded itself to the bottom of the lever. Over time as the hand brake was applied and the rubber became less flexible, the slit opened and took on the shape of the path of the lever's travel. As John pointed out, what looks like an intentionally designed "tab" is how the mat was shaped and stayed as the rubber became inflexible.

By carefully flexing the mat, I'm also now of the opinion that the metal sheet does not completely fill the mat. The center part is more flexible than the outer perimeter. I've colored the entire mat a bright pink color, then overlaid the metal core shape in blue giving it a purple color. The shape of the inner edge of the metal is a guess since I couldn't feel the exact edge of the metal. Seems the metal frame kept the overall shape of the mat, reinforced the screw holes, but didn't provide support for the mat over the hole in the floor. Probably they found that the metal interfered in the areas where the rubber mat needed to remain as flexible as possible so it could move with the levers in multiple directions.

post-61720-14314187298_thumb.jpg

post-61720-143141872995_thumb.jpg