Soft top Velcro

LIT MUSE

We all know the process to taking the soft top down. Great moment! After few of these, and putting the top up, the Velcro on the top surround doesn't hold. Tried different glues etc. nothing really work. ugly look.... Any suggestions ? Thanks Shay.

We all know the process to taking the soft top down. Great moment! After few of these, and putting the top up, the Velcro on the top surround doesn't hold. Tried different glues etc. nothing really work. ugly look.... Any suggestions ? Thanks Shay.

Gorilla glue, clean & degrease metal surface, remove whatever goo you have from other glues from back of velcro without causing damage, if it doesn't come off odds are it will stay on, don't over do, then fully apply thin layer (and try not to over apply) gorilla glue to back of velcro, and clamp in place until dry. Use paint stir stick, or whatever else you might have handy as pressure plating to insure even pressure for good bond along entire repair area and to prevent clamp contact point crushing.

Edited by Digger914 (see edit history)

Good question.

If you are working on a piece of Velcro that is still partially attached to the vehicle, using the precision applicator that drys white is the one I suggest. If you don't use enough it won't hold and when you use anything more than exactly the the right amount some will squeeze out along the edges. The excess white is fairly easy to remove after it's hardened and applying close to exactly the right amount comes with experience and a little bit of luck.

All purpose Gorilla is tough enough to reattach the loose Velcro along the side rails of your pickup truck, hold rotting rock hard leather to the windshield end of an old dash and if you don't remove the excess before it hardens, you're going to need to chisel it off. I use both, the white doesn't hold as well, it is a lot easier to apply in tight places.

All the Velcro I am fixing belong to the soft top attaching the canvas to the metallic frame. It is mostly those that don't stay in place. I will work with the all purpose this time, it sounds that it may last longer. Thanks for the advise Digger914, I'll let you know how it turn out.

to attach the hook and loop to the metal, I cleaned with denatured alcohol and used contact cement. smear on both the fabric and the metal wait 5 minutes press. It has been in place for over two years. I live in Cali, so the soft top in on MOST of the year.