61 Buick Fuel Sending Unit not working.

Guest MYOLDCAR

Guest MYOLDCAR

I have a 1961 Buick Lesabre and the fuel gage wasn't reading on the instrument panel. I bought a new NOS fuel sending unit for the gas gage but don't know how it normally is grounded. It is a single wire fuel sending unit. When I hook the wire up to the sending unit stud and run a jumper wire from the fuel sending unit flange to a stud on the tail light, it works properly. So it must not be completing the ground. I don't know how the ground in normally made on a single wire system. I could run a jumper wire from the sending unit to a ground but it didn't come with a jumper. The normal ground is not being made but I don't know how it is normally grounded. It seems like a simple fix. I would like to use the stock ground rather than running a jumper wire.

The sending unit itself is the ground for the circuit. A ground wire goes from the dash gauge to the tank sender and from the tank sender to ground. The tank sender provides a variable resistance that is sensed by the dash gauge.

The sending unit is grounded to the tank, which is grounded to the body. Rust, paint, insulation, and even substituting a rubber line for a steel line will interfere with the ground. You have established that it works if grounded, so a hidden ground wire is all you need.

Willie

Guest MYOLDCAR

I paid $75 from John Moore, jmoore1943@aol.com. He got a bunch of Buick parts from a dealer years ago and had a NOS one that worked great. I fussed with the fuel sending unit all day and gave up. I buttoned it up and put the cover plate in place. I tried it one final time and the damn thing worked. I realized then the sending unit was designed to ground on the cover plate. It had a piece facing up that I thought was used to support another fuel hose. It actually was used to ground out on the cover plate. Who knew?

I found out a few other sources than Classic Car Auto Parts. All American Classics at 1-800-955-4999, All Hours Auto at 800-223-7794. Thats one problem solved, I'm moving on to fixing others. I'm winding up with more used parts I don't need than what I do need. I guess thats the nature of this business. I'm not a pack rat but its hard to pass up hard to get parts. Full size 61 Buick parts are not easy to find. Nosing around my fuel tank I found my muffler support clamp rubber rotted in two. Fun, fun, fun. Thanks for all the feedback. I love AACA. What a great forum. Going to spring Carlisle next weekend to see what I can find.

Guest MYOLDCAR

FYI, I had my original fuel sending unit rebuilt and it didn' t work. I had to send it back to get rebuilt again (bad float). I would rather not say by whom as he worked with me to solve the problem with it. I will keep it for a spare. Cost me double what I paid for the NOS unit. I also had a 57 Buick Roadmaster, 68 Buick Wildcat and a 68 Buick Electra. Still wish I had em. So, yea I'm a Buick guy.

Guest Doug Burton
I paid $75 from John Moore, jmoore1943@aol.com. He got a bunch of Buick parts from a dealer years ago and had a NOS one that worked great. I fussed with the fuel sending unit all day and gave up. I buttoned it up and put the cover plate in place. I tried it one final time and the damn thing worked. I realized then the sending unit was designed to ground on the cover plate. It had a piece facing up that I thought was used to support another fuel hose. It actually was used to ground out on the cover plate. Who knew?

Good to know. I haven't actually removed mine, but the screws are out and it is loose after clearing all of the goop around it. Mine worked when I got my car, but when I had the exhaust installed I think hit the tank a few time rather hard. I figure that is when the resistor broke.

I found out a few other sources than Classic Car Auto Parts. All American Classics at 1-800-955-4999, All Hours Auto at 800-223-7794. Thats one problem solved, I'm moving on to fixing others. I'm winding up with more used parts I don't need than what I do need. I guess thats the nature of this business. I'm not a pack rat but its hard to pass up hard to get parts. Full size 61 Buick parts are not easy to find. Nosing around my fuel tank I found my muffler support clamp rubber rotted in two. Fun, fun, fun. Thanks for all the feedback. I love AACA. What a great forum. Going to spring Carlisle next weekend to see what I can find.

Yeah, I stocked up on things back when I could. I may check out the other sources, thanks. You might also consider joining V8Buick if you haven't already. Most people are both lists, but you may find a different perspective there. Good luck.

Mark,

Glad to hear you got it fixed!

Chris