1936 one-twenty starting

filozof97

Hello!

I've got problem with my, or rather my father's 1936 Packard 120 Touring Sedan. When engine is cold- under 60 degrees, there isn't any problem with starting engine- turn on ignition, push starter button, one second- engine runs. But, when it gets warmer, 73 degrees or above, it's impossible to start engine. Starter works(turns a lot slower than when engine is cold), but engine can't start. I think it's because when it gets warm, compression inside cylinders are higher than with cold engine, and 6V battery hasn't got enough power for starter and ignition (but, there is a spark...).

How can i fix it? I've heard about second, 12V battery, only for starter, but, when this car was new, i think this problem didn't exist-why does it exist now?

Sorry for my english, i'm not from english-speaking country.

Edited by filozof97 (see edit history)

There's almost a stock answer to this one. Make sure you have correct, heavy, 6 volt battery cables. Make sure ground to frame or engine is good with no corrosion, or better yet run ground cable to a starter mounting bolt.

A 6 volt will start it fine, if cables are correct and starter in good condition.

You have the classic symptom of, when the cables get warm, they can't carry the current needed to turn over your starter...

Good luck!

I had almost the exact same problem with my 160. I removed the ground strap that goes from battery to frame and replaced it with a '00' size cable that goes from the battery to the bolt that holds the starter to the bell housing. I also had only 4.5 volts at the coil when starting the engine. I installed a wire from the battery, through a separate switch, and then to the coil. I figured the old ignition switch might be corroded inside. Now I have 6 volts to the coil. Starts every time even when engine is warm. Regards, John

I agree fully with Dave & 41 Su8; generally hard starting results from a poor battery, undersize cables, or poor maintenance of connections. I've had quite a few 6-volt Packards they have all started easily, even at temperatures well below freezing. One thing I don't agree with is Dave's comments about battery life - for me the 6-volt batteries generally outlast the 12-volts by at least 3-4 years, generally lasting 8 years or so. I don't know the size of the 120 battery box but for the "senior" Packards with large battery boxes I highly recommend the NAPA Commercial 7212.

Temperature. My mistake- Celsius scale. So, when engine reaches 73 *C its impossible to start the engine. Less- no problem.

I've connected battery directly to starter- problem still exists. I've got big 6V battery, which I bought in USA, it's impossible to buy 6V battery in Poland, except motorcycle/Trabant battery(which is very small) or tractor battery (which is very big, too big to put it into Packard).

I've got one more idea. Mileage from renovation it's about ~~~ 300 hundred miles, rather "city" than "road" miles. Maybe it isn't breaked yet?

Or valves clearances are too small?

Makes one wonder how many cars have been converted to 12 volt just because the cables were wrong, and the owner didn't know better......as I said, it's almost a stock answer to slow starting of a 6 volt car....