1949 Buick Super 4dr - Free (sort of)

superG

Hello there,

I bought a 49 Buick sedanette in Beaulaville, Nth Carolina. It came with an extra 49 super 4 door which does not have a title so I can't get it into Australia. Motor and tranny were taken out of the sedan and are on skids, though not worth the transport costs for me. If anyone is interested in stripping the chrome -bumpers, grill, handles, steering wheel, lights, knobs/levers from the dash etc they are more than welcome to what's left.(Motor, tranny, sheet metal, interior, dash, glass etc). It would be a great help as parts are hard to find over here. The sedan was meant to be stripped as part of the deal though it sounds like the Nephew was caught in the middle and left to do all the work so the motor and tranny were all that was done. If anyone is interested send us a phone number and I'll give you a call.

Cheers, appreciate any help - Graham

Trying to understand what you want

Someone to strip the parts & put in the car being sent to Aust in exchange for for the motor, transmission, etc?

The diff has value here in Aust if its out of a Dynaflow car (higher ratio - lower numerical ratio)

If only your car was closer to MI. I have parts near Flint, MI

49 Buick sedanette's I like a lot. Is 248 ci or 320 ci ?

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Hello mate,

That's spot on, I am hoping to find someone to strip off the chrome and put in the Super sedanette that's coming over to Australia.

I would like more stuff though have to leave something for the person who puts in the effort, plus the cost of shipping the engine and tranny accross America is a fortune and probably not worth it. Actually what's you're opinion? It's basically going to cost me around $1400 for the motor and tranny by the time it reaches Australia. Do you know of any transport companies in the states that will move the motor and tranny that are on pallets/skids?

Cheers - Graham

Trying to understand what you want

Someone to strip the parts & put in the car being sent to Aust in exchange for for the motor, transmission, etc?

The diff has value here in Aust if its out of a Dynaflow car (higher ratio - lower numerical ratio)

If only your car was closer to MI. I have parts near Flint, MI

49 Buick sedanette's I like a lot. Is 248 ci or 320 ci ?

The 49 was meant to be a roadmaster not a super. One of the many lies they told, including that they had a title, that has taken over 14 months to get them to organise. I became so sick of the constant lies and crap I ended up threatening them with the police. Finally it's ready to come over.

Cheers again - Graham

Graham,

Check the Buick Club national site and find the chapter near the car's location. You should be able to find a person to help you out. If it was near the Finger Lakes Chapter in New York I would offer my nephew.

Bernie

Hello mate,

That's spot on, I am hoping to find someone to strip off the chrome and put in the Super sedanette that's coming over to Australia.

I would like more stuff though have to leave something for the person who puts in the effort, plus the cost of shipping the engine and tranny accross America is a fortune and probably not worth it. Actually what's you're opinion? It's basically going to cost me around $1400 for the motor and tranny by the time it reaches Australia. Do you know of any transport companies in the states that will move the motor and tranny that are on pallets/skids?

Cheers - Graham

Graham,

Just about any freight company in America will ship a motor and transmission on a pallet as long as they can get a pallet jack under it. They will pick it up with a truck with a lift gate which usually costs an additional $50 or so over the cost of a truck without it. it is just a matter of how much you are willing to pay for transportation to Australia. Check on uship for the best deals on shipping. I shipped a motor on a pallet a distance of about 1000 miles in the USA for around $400.

Thanks,

Michael

.. It's basically going to cost me around $1400 for the motor and tranny by the time it reaches Australia...
$1400 is a lot to have a spare used engine in Aust. Any timber pallet must have certification or else Aust Customs & Quarantines, will go **** and require it to be fumigated.

Guys have put engines in cars when shipping in containers to Aust. In the trunk/boot or remove the rear (and front?) seat and lift in with a lifting arm on a forklift. Put the seat on top of the engine. The 750 lb weight tends to sag the springs a little, but ..

May interest you http://forums.aaca.org/f119/next-container-bound-sydney-349402.html

Edited by 1939_buick
formatting (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
Guest merceman
Hello there,

I bought a 49 Buick sedanette in Beaulaville, Nth Carolina. It came with an extra 49 super 4 door which does not have a title so I can't get it into Australia. Motor and tranny were taken out of the sedan and are on skids, though not worth the transport costs for me. If anyone is interested in stripping the chrome -bumpers, grill, handles, steering wheel, lights, knobs/levers from the dash etc they are more than welcome to what's left.(Motor, tranny, sheet metal, interior, dash, glass etc). It would be a great help as parts are hard to find over here. The sedan was meant to be stripped as part of the deal though it sounds like the Nephew was caught in the middle and left to do all the work so the motor and tranny were all that was done. If anyone is interested send us a phone number and I'll give you a call.

Cheers, appreciate any help - Graham

I am interested in the 49 Buick in Beaulaville, Nth Carolina. Please call me at 419-721-2379 or 419-788-7227 Thanks, merceman