36 series 40 gas pedal

Guest essox

Guest essox

Man-o-man-o-man. My gas pedal is in need of some repair or replacement. Does anybody have an idea where to get one or this one fixed. I would do it myself but don't know what it looked like to begin with. Any help would be appreciated. Even a pic of the bottom would help. Tks

Guest KeithElwell

post-43647-143141855556_thumb.jpg

Here are some photos of my core and the pedal in my car. I used a 1/4" SS bolt for the hinge pin, haven't decided if that is the permanent solution or not. But you can see the hinge flange that bolts to the floor pan. It looks original to me because it fits the hole pattern and the perimeter of the hinge matches the raised stamped area in the pan. I don't know what is intended to be in the slotted hole in the backside of the pedal but you can see that I found a rubber bumper and installed it in there as a stop for the pedal against the floor pan on full throttle. I am confident my link that connects to the pedal and thru the floor pan is original but I don't know how it was shaped originally. In the shop manual pictures of this link rod it appears to be straight but that can't be so and still travel thru a relatively small hole in the floor pan. The rear end of this link is obviously attached to the pedal near the top so it pivots on an arc with radius about 6-3/4". Then the fwd end of this link attaches to a pivoting arm on the left side of the engine that pivots on a different smaller radius. So the link moves up and down in the floor pan hole as the pedal is pushed and the link goes fwd/aft. I did the best I could to form the link rod into a radius that comes close to staying in the center of the floor pan hole.

Hope this helps somebody.

post-43647-143141855524_thumb.jpg

post-43647-14314185554_thumb.jpg

post-43647-143141855572_thumb.jpg

post-43647-143141855585_thumb.jpg

post-43647-1431418556_thumb.jpg

Guest essox

I find you Buick guys very helpful and I couldn't do this project without your help. You people are truly one of a kind and I thank you so much. If your ever in the north woods of Wisconsin drop me a line and I'll take you musky fishing. PS. bring your Buick!

Guest KeithElwell

I have watched for these pedals at all the swap meets I have attended for many years and I have never seen an entire pedal (core and rubber) in NOS or NORS. There have been very few used pedals show up and I bought them but the rubber was badly worn, hinge incomplete and/or broken, and did not include link rod, etc.

My advice is to strip the remaining rubber from your core if you have one and buy the rubber slip cover from vendors like Bob's or Steele and glue it on the core. That's what I did.

I find you Buick guys very helpful and I couldn't do this project without your help. You people are truly one of a kind and I thank you so much. If your ever in the north woods of Wisconsin drop me a line and I'll take you musky fishing. PS. bring your Buick!

Oooh! I expect to be driving to Rhinelander in August, but that would be an in and out trip. Lake of the Woods area is closer for me, but I've never gotten into muskies...of course, haven't been there in a few years...we've come into some pretty massive northern pike though...buddy's knees went weak the one time with a follow he had that was at least mid to high 40 inch length...couldn't convince it to hit though.

Guest Jeff_Miller

I have only been looking for a few months but I don't believe you will find a replacement. I contemplated trying to repair mine but since I'm missing the mounting bracket I'd also have to replace or create that. I also found that the slip covers are for series 80 and 90 with no indication as to whether those slips also fit a 40.

I've decided to invest in an experiment. I talked with Bob and Bob's Automobilia and had him do some measurements of similar parts. It sounds like APM-390 has mounting holes that should fit my floor pan so I ordered that as a replacement for my missing bracket. I then had Bob measure some of the pedals with cores for both height and distance to the accelerator rod as well as whether they would fit the bracket. The pedal I chose was 1/2" shorter than mine but it sounds like the accelerator rod will attach at the same height respective to the firewall. I'm not sure of the part number for the pedal but I think it was AP-37B.

When they get here I'll see how close they are and if necessary see if they can be modified. I'll report back once I know more.

Jeff

Guest Jeff_Miller

I got the parts today. Although I don't have an original to look at, the APM-390 bracket looks to be a very good candidate. I don't have the lower section on my pedal so I don't know for sure but the mounting holes line up and it is straight at the bottom and that seems to agree with the pictures of an unmolested pedal from the thread above.

Unfortunately the pedal is not such a good match. The pedal is AP-390BK and it has a significant angle on the bottom that when attached to APM-390 puts the connector for the accelerator rod several inches away from where it should be. Back to square one in looking for a pedal.

Jeff

Guest Jeff_Miller

Woo Hoo!!! I must have been tired when I was eyeballing the APM-390 and AP-390BK substitutes earlier in the week. Today I started to bolt things together so that I could determine what kind of modifications I might be able to make and to my surprise everything lined up perfectly. So if you don't mind substituting a pedal and bracket from a few years newer these parts will work for a 1936 Buick Special.

Jeff