Tailpipe pictures needed 1965 Riviera Gran Sport

phoemsen

I am looking for some pictures of stock tailpipes. I am taking it in soon to get these installed. I would like to show the muffler guy EXACTLY what it should look like. Its hard to describe in words the way the pipes exit under the bumper, if done correctly, you can barely see them unless you squat down.

Thanks,

Peter Hoemsen

ROA # 6910

I have attached some pictures of the tail pipes on my '65 GS. After looking at several period pictures of these cars, I noticed that the tail pipes were barely visible and that is how I installed them on my car. Most replacement pipes will be made with a bend at the end which is cut perpendicular to the OD of the pipe. When I removed the the tail pipes that were originally on my car, I noticed that the ends were cut at an angle to the pipe and I cut the new pipes to match. When Installed on the car, the end is roughly parallel to the ground and does not extend much below the bumper. Hopefully, the pictures will make it clear to you. Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

post-42951-14314185222_thumb.jpg

post-42951-143141852228_thumb.jpg

post-42951-143141852237_thumb.jpg

That's the little wiggle that puts the down turn of the pipe right in the corner the bumper makes. Years ago I had a pair of chrome exhaust extensions with an S curve that looked pretty nice. I think they were made for '57 Chevies and worked out good.

Bernie

Pete,

Here is a picture showing the original tailpipes on my car as well as the replacements (before I modified them). You can see how the outlet end was curved. I cut some of the curved portion off so that the pipe outlet is now parallel to the bottom of the quarter panel. The end of the pipe does not extend much below the bottom of the bumper.

post-42951-14314185459_thumb.jpg

Guest Kingoftheroad

When I had my muffler & tailpipes replaced, I told them I wanted it stock. They looked it up in the books and bent them to factory specs. Of course then, that was many years ago.