Mystery Ornament

John

Found this is a box of stuff from a body shop. Parts I can identify have been from the late 40's thru early 70's. This has a 50's look, and has a casting number 507110 or 507116. Also has USA casting mark. It is just under 7/8" wide at one end and 1/2" wide at the other. 16-1/4 length. 3 mounting studs. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

John

post-30595-143141850023_thumb.jpg

post-30595-143141850012_thumb.jpg

post-30595-143141850018_thumb.jpg

Edited by John (see edit history)

John, take a good look at the last digit of the number with a magnifier, bet you'll find that it's "0" instead of "6".

Yup, can you believe, I have an unidentified one of them too. It came from a junkyard in the '60's that had bought obsolete nos parts from Packard, Kaiser-Frazier, Ford, and possibly other dealerships. I sought id of mine on this forum a while back but got no responses. Maybe, just maybe this time....

The leading edge of mine looks the same as John's, and mine is not damaged. These are die cast items and they don't take too well to being bent. It is very possible that they go on the top of a front fender, but I'm not ruling out rear fenders either. Maybe even a hood.

Another observation is that the arched ends suggest that it either fits over a conforming shape, or there was some other piece it butted against.

The leading edge of mine looks the same as John's, and mine is not damaged. These are die cast items and they don't take too well to being bent. It is very possible that they go on the top of a front fender, but I'm not ruling out rear fenders either. Maybe even a hood.

Another observation is that the arched ends suggest that it either fits over a conforming shape, or there was some other piece it butted against.

Dave,

I confirmed the ID in a Pontiac parts book. Illustration shows it buttiing against the headlight ring.

John

Dave,

It was listed as 507110. Mine will be for sale also. Probably an early takeoff piece, possibly NOS. Came from an old body shop and had sat gathering dust and overspray fallout for many years.

John