Have you seen "Old Parked Cars" site?

MarrsCars

Inspired by Stock Steve's Eldo in Motion posted above here is my contribution: 1968 Cadillac Coupe DeVille in motion on Burnahm Avenue, Calumet City, Illinois.

That's actually a 67. It doesn't look much different than a 68 on first glance but put them side by side and the differences really stand out.

I've owned both years and only a few things interchange.

Was a few cars behind an old MGB on I-95 southbound this morning (Wednesday, September 11th, 2013), heading over the Pearl Harbor Memorial Bridge (a.k.a. "Q Bridge"), in New Haven, CT.

EDIT: The significance of driving over the Pearl Harbor Memorial Bridge on September 11th just occurred to me...

Anyway, never got close enough to the MG guy for any better shots (I was driving my decrepit Taurus wagon and didn't want to over-tax it; the MG guy was keeping up a very healthy pace)...

post-34222-143142185423_thumb.jpg

They fairly recently (last month or so)opened up the southbound lanes on the new deck of the bridge, so that is pretty new roadway we're driving on. A bit of New Haven skyline was visible in the background on this hazy morning...

(Sorry to hear of the recent forum technical issues--thanks Peter and all for your work dealing with it)

post-34222-1431421854_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142185412_thumb.jpg

Edited by stock_steve (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Another "driving home sighting" on Interstate 95 this afternoon, in the New Haven, CT area--a Renault Alliiance GTA Convertible!

Appears that the "GTA" was a 1987-only model, per: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Alliance

Photos are in the sequential order in which I was able to snap 'em off, from behind the wheel of my '69 VW Bug, from around the entrance onto the Pearl Harbor Memorial Bridge (a.k.a. "Q Bridge") all the way thru East Haven, and then with the car exiting off the first Branford exit...

post-34222-143142208188_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142207995_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142208007_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142208039_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142208148_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142208156_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142208163_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142208171_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142208179_thumb.jpg

Is that black car a Studebaker, Marrs? Great looking Falcon, nicely photographed for that web site, also, Lahti!

Here's a very sharp-looking MG Midget that I got behind for a short time on CT Coastal Route 146 in Branford, CT, today. He was motoring right along, so I was not able to get any really good shots of him. The twisty two-lane road also prompted me not to get too fancy trying to take pictures!

Nice day for an old car ride here in Southern Connecticut...

post-34222-143142231231_thumb.jpg

I had a few cool local old car sightings on the Saturday before "Hershey Holy Week", from around Madison, CT (that would be Saturday, 10/5/2013).

First, there was this cool old Land Rover, that looks like it's "seen some action"...

post-34222-143142236517_thumb.jpg

From the "AllRovers" web site noted on their sign, I'll guess this old warrior was somehow associated with "Madison Motors."

post-34222-143142236523_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142236502_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142236511_thumb.jpg

Is that black car a Studebaker, Marrs?

Yes, I'd guess a '66 Commander sedan? I'm not an expert on those cars but being from Indiana originally I notice these home grown cars and there are many of them on the roads here. Most are just like that, continuing service but never restored, just old family cars and trucks.

My latest finds are this 280se sedan and a perfectly restored Austin Healey 3000

post-83411-143142246977_thumb.jpg

post-83411-14314224698_thumb.jpg

post-83411-143142246983_thumb.jpg

That's cool Marrs. Thanks for the follow-up and some very nice recent finds!

Here's an early model Datsun "Z" (might be a "260" based on what I can see from an enlargment of the rear emblem) that I saw in a shopping plaza in Madison, CT, the same day (10/5/2013) I scoped out those other two vintage 4-wheelers from my last post...

post-34222-143142248432_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142248406_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142248415_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142248424_thumb.jpg

Several threads on other sites about vehicles being stolen and here there are cars pictured along with the streets they appeared on with license plates shown.

Somehow it doesnt seem right to me to be posting them.

Vehicles at car shows or moving along a street is public and in that circumstance is ok in my book but posting vehicles and plate info on private property

bothers me.There are thieves out there who do wander through car sites looking for vehicles.This just makes it easier for them.

My own personal experience was posting a vehicle for sale on Craigsl&&st and another collector car was barely visible in the corner of 1 picture.License plate of the vehicle I was selling was displayed in a picture.Came home one afternoon after the wife called and asked if I had invited anyone out to look at cars.I had not.She called police and I arrived to find 2 guys looking over the collector car that wasnt for sale.Truck and trailer in street.As they had broken no laws cops sent them on the way.Been a bit paranoid after that.That was my error for showing a license plate that for $10.00 online can be searched.

Just my 2 cents and maybe I am the wet blanket about this but I had to say it.

Several threads on other sites about vehicles being stolen and here there are cars pictured along with the streets they appeared on with license plates shown.

Somehow it doesnt seem right to me to be posting them.

Vehicles at car shows or moving along a street is public and in that circumstance is ok in my book but posting vehicles and plate info on private property

bothers me.There are thieves out there who do wander through car sites looking for vehicles.This just makes it easier for them.

My own personal experience was posting a vehicle for sale on Craigsl&&st and another collector car was barely visible in the corner of 1 picture.License plate of the vehicle I was selling was displayed in a picture.Came home one afternoon after the wife called and asked if I had invited anyone out to look at cars.I had not.She called police and I arrived to find 2 guys looking over the collector car that wasnt for sale.Truck and trailer in street.As they had broken no laws cops sent them on the way.Been a bit paranoid after that.That was my error for showing a license plate that for $10.00 online can be searched.

Just my 2 cents and maybe I am the wet blanket about this but I had to say it.

Fine points and thank you, but generally speaking I try and snap cars on the street not parked in a garage or elsewhere that is not public. I'm sure I have posted a car or two that are also visible from the public street. Sure, there are people who may go online to find a car to steal but they would have to be somewhat local to the car in question, so it's really not much different than driving around the neighborhood just like we are all doing taking these pics. Anyone driving or walking around Portland can see all of these same types of cars and could decide to steal one. I've seen this discussion on several forums over the years and the general consensus seems to always end up being "anyone can see your plate when you're driving or parked in public, it is public information". This relates to the VIN as well when people object to posting the # online. Anyone can see your VIN on a car with the windshield tag. Not dismissing your concerns, just offering my perspective.

I had a 1965 Chevrolet exactly like this when I was in high school. Same color , same model, but different wheels. I had stock chevy steel wheels and the small chevy hubcaps. Six Cylinder. I wrote about in Hemmings last year. I saw this one in Blue Island, Illinois.

post-75225-143142257512_thumb.jpg

post-75225-143142257542_thumb.jpg

Nice shots, Marrs--love the "patina" on that Chevy Pickup! Chevy, "special" Ford, and Buick shots also great--thanks Pomeroy for sharing!

I was semi-quick-on the draw driving to work early this morning (Friday 11/8/2013) and caught this ratty-cool lowered VW Bug on the Merritt Parkway, crossing the Housatonic River, and heading on into Stratford, CT southbound...

post-34222-1431422651_thumb.jpg

Happy Friday!

post-34222-143142265056_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142265071_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142265086_thumb.jpg

Buick Electra Convertible. Looks better than it really is. Lots of bondo and rust bubbling underneath. The guy did not want to talk about the car. Near Michigan City Road in Calumet City, IL.

I wouldn't want talk to a guy who'd put tires and wheels on a car like that.:eek:

I agree that the Big Tire/Wheels are ridiculous. And these idiots think the car is better with those big tires on there.

I will talk to owners of autos I photograph if I can. Every owner I have talked to was cool with the car being posted on AACA.

Marrs, you need to get some Euro-spec headlamps for your Benz. The US headlight sets really do no justice to the original German design. Every Mercedes I owned got the US lamps swapped out for the E-specs. Lighting was improved well as looks.

Hi, this is something I have debated, as well as many other Benz owners on those forums. I originally fell in love with these cars because they reminded me of the Facel Vega, which I prefer with stacked rounds rather than the lozenge lenses, so I initially preferred them on this car. In time, I started to feel I might prefer the Euro lenses but let too many "chef's into the kitchen" when I brought this up at a concours, most agreed that since this was a US-delivery car, the US standard lights are thus "correct", tho this will never be a show car, it is largely a survivor so I am keeping her pretty stock. I have also heard the opposite, that the Euro's don't provide as good lighting, so I'm torn there, however I did upgrade my low-beams to Hella halogens so I am ok in the visibility department.

I will conclude that at present I am sharing your mindset and may very well consider doing the switch at some point, as you know there is a bit of wiring/plug work to switch so it's not exactly as easy as plug-and-play, but not too difficult either. I guess my point is, I have given this considerable thought and at the end of the day the Euro lenses are how Paul Bracq designed the car so I feel it is "correct" no matter where it was delivered and you may see this car sporting them at some point. :)

I can see the dilemma you are debating. For me the choice was obvious. The W123 model is very homely with US headlamps. This photo is from about 8 years ago when I had three Mercedes autos at one time. The W124 in the middle never got converted as I did not keep it long enough. It was a terrible car compared to the W123's in nearly every way but that would be another story. The coupe was a "grey market" car and was originally equipped as you see it. However it did not have the lamps installed when I bought the car, they were in the trunk and were saved when the car was "federalized". The sedan is a US model for which I located a good set of lamps to convert the car.

I guess this photo still qualifies for the parked designation.

post-77797-143142281946_thumb.jpg