Death of a Classic (Marmon)

Its been an interesting week. I found three Marmons here locally. All are in very bad condition. The one I found today is very sad indeed. The owner was going to send it to the crusher and I have about a week to make a decision on whether to save it or let it go. It makes me sad to see a car that used to be a real classic in this condition. Let me know what you think. save or scrap.

post-56479-143141847226_thumb.jpg

post-56479-143141847251_thumb.jpg

post-56479-143141847276_thumb.jpg

post-56479-143141847299_thumb.jpg

post-56479-143141847323_thumb.jpg

post-56479-143141847346_thumb.jpg

post-56479-143141847369_thumb.jpg

post-56479-143141847392_thumb.jpg

post-56479-143141847416_thumb.jpg

Save it for sure. There are some good pieces in that mess, and it shouldn't go to scrap. Someone would make a speedster out of it, or use it for parts in another restoration....can you get it for scrap price?

I can't imagine any universe where that isn't worth $600. I know little about Marmons, but I'd say that the spare tire holder, complete with handle and lock, is worth a third to a half of that to someone......

Yes certainly has possibilities as a speedster. It looks to be quite a big car - my guess is that it is a 1927 - ish Model 75. The appearance of the engine is different to the later Model 78. I am no Marmon expert but I would say that a Marmon enthusiast would jump at the chance to rescue it. Assuming it is a 75 it is a CCCA approved classic.

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

Just my 2 cents so....

Save what is left if you can.

My 1928 Whippet Cabriolet was left on a beach on the north shore of Lake Erie before WWII to the point that the wood wheels sank in the sand, wood in the body rotted, gauges were smashed out, seat frames rusted away and someone decided to haul it out. My Dad bought it after several guys worked on it and then sold it to him at this point.

post-36036-143141847463_thumb.jpg

While NOT a Marmon, it is a keeper and most do not know what a Whippet is let alone a Marmon so........

post-36036-143141847488_thumb.jpg

Maybe, just maybe someone has a vision!

Doug

BCA# 35039

Guest 48buickkid

I'd pay $600 for it in a flash. I doubt it but is there a title or any documentation? If you bought It I would give you your money back!

You know people pay more than $600. for Model T Fords in that condition and build speedsters. Just looked in the Standard Catalog of American Cars 1805-1942 and Marmon offered a FACTORY speedster body on that chassis. After you buy it get some original literature and photos. Good luck with the project. Bob ..........................saves like this should be encouraged

I believe that it is certainly worth saving.

I can see many parts which would be of use, either in building something from this, or in restoring another existing Marmon.

Certainly worth the asking price, in my opinion.

If I were closer, younger, and had the financial resources.......

Guest gismo081

Yes it is sad my father could not restore this classic. My mother said scrap it. I told here there would be someone out there that would be sick if they knew I did that.

Guest gismo081
made a deal to buy it. I will pick it up on Friday or Saturday. thanks gismo081!!!

Sounds good, I had to tell the guy who came and bought the dodge you had already spoke for ther marmon.