dei

ME & MY === 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick and……..

Sorry to hear of your mishap, but like John said, its' good that you didn't hurt yourself any worse!

Us seniors don't bounce like we used to.

Welcome to the Senior Club, Doug.

Keith

Doug; I trust you are becoming less sore?  When you feel able I'm sure your many friends would appreciate an update, all clear or taking time off.  Sorry, Gary

Thanks everyone for checking in and concerns!

As to taking time off, Hell... I was just able Friday night to sit at the table for supper before having to get back in bed to find that comfortable spot so NOT taking time off, I have NO choice!~🛏️

I survived this starting out in business and have continued till this day so imagine with a bit of time, I will be back to normal and can continue with getting the Limited on the road.

691501049_FrntPageNews1977-Copy(2).thumb.jpg.cd5ed187887a96e7ff99fdf46b311fa8.jpg

And to 95Cardinal's statement, "I should have known better", Can't argue with that now can I...?:rolleyes:

(Fortunately I didn't have to bounce that time...)

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 1

What's the story about the news article?

Is that you hanging in the harness??😲

2 hours ago, 95Cardinal said:

Is that you hanging in the harness??😲

Sad to say yes to the question but... still here to tell about it.

High Rise work then was still being done with rope stages and unlike the Oliver & Hardy movies showing two of them pulling the rig up to the top while on it, ours was pulled up standing on the ground till the stage reached the top.

One man could hold both ropes keeping the stage in place while the other took the elevator to the roof. Once there he put on a safety belt (not the full body type harness mandatory today), lowered himself onto the stage (now at the top of the roof edge) to tie off that side. Signalling the man on the ground it was secured, one walks the length of the stage (in this case 24 feet) to the other end to tie that side off again, signalling when it was secured, release the rope and come up to join me on the stage to work our way to the bottom.

What some tourist, who happened to be on the other side of the street and took this shot caught was me climbing up the stage to get myself back on the roof.

I had almost reached the other end when suddenly that end started to lower!

Preservation youth instinct kicked in and with no toe boards on the bottom rails I turned sideways just in time to grab the upright rails to ride out the swinging motion taking place like a pendulum of a grandfather clock. Yes the life belt contributed to keeping me up too but fear makes one hold on! That belt is 4 inches wide made of leather and heavy buckle material but without the leg straps of today, rides up the rib cage and leaves some bruising.

The unofficial thinking then was, better to be alive and sore than the alternative.

It caused quite a sensation and four fire trucks arrived as I went down the elevator to find out what the H### happened!!!

After answering a few questions I looked at the trucks sitting there with lights flashing and traffic blocked and noticed there was not one ladder truck among them! All four trucks were pumper trucks!!

I told the Captain that they just might have to hose me down after I talk to my ground guy....

My crew loaded up the stage, lowered the lines and we left for the day to grab a beer and talk with my then business partner who was fending calls from the press mostly with a, No Comment.

Knowing the contract had to be fulfilled we went back the next day. I knew if I didn't get back on the horse so to speak I would be scared stiff and would have to sell my interest in the business.

All went well hauling it up only this time we changed the tying up procedure to reaching over first one side at a time BEFORE climbing over.

We used that system till the mid 80's when Regulation changes came into play and Bosun Chair use was to become the norm. I love them and the freedom it gives for access obviously getting over any fear of heights plus we now use FULL body harnesses connected to independent engineered anchor points mounted permanently on the roofs inspected annually.

We then dismantled that stage and hung it in the garage till this past summer when I decided to cut it up (due to its age) and get what ever I could at the scrapper.

IMG_3771.thumb.JPG.3d5190d7c5a9268a929ec6207de6ecf5.JPG

Oh and the fellow who released the line on me that day? 

Let's just say I did him a favour and laid him off before he had a chance to hurt somebody else and never heard of him again.

And now as it's been said, you know the rest of the story.

• Thanks 2

Wow!  Glad you made it.  That's certainly a story, a memory, and a lesson!

• Thanks 1

Yes Lance it is true what you say but like Old Tank said, "Too soon old, too late smart", the lesson I learned that day about procedure and safety first, went out the door last weekend...

I managed a crew at times as high as 9 seasonally for most of those 43 years hiring, training, firing and have been over the side of about 80% of the buildings here with no issues anything like that afterwards so thinking I let my anger over that raccoon get the better of me and now paying that price for the mind slip. 

I'll get back to it soon enough so going to get better which helps motivate some exercise as to not stiffen up laying around.

I sent my son to the garage yesterday to bait a live trap in hopes to capture the beast!

I've read recently that pouring ammonia at the entrance is a deterrent so will give that a try until we get the screens covered up with some wire. 

My long time neighbour, who speaks rather bluntly, says I should have hit my head and would be in better shape. LOL! 

Who knows, he might be right? 

• Haha 1

dei wrote: "And now as it's been said, you know the rest of the story."

Wow!

Thanks for sharing that story, Doug.

Heal up soon; I think it's time for another burger & beer lunch.

Joe

• Like 1

Thanks Joe!

I will plan on that as soon as I'm able man! 😁

Maybe by that time if the weather co-operates I can take you to lunch in the Special that day...

Oh, you BAD!  🤣

• Haha 1

Another supposed friend sent me this. (with an LOL)

677840047_everysingleday.jpg.3f73a5cb4f747f0ee59cb434dcfc25f1.jpg

I must be getting better as it doesn't hurt as much when I laugh...

• Like 1

Getting a call from Mom yesterday needing my assistance with an issue I wrapped up my back and decided to stop at the garage with the Special (and raccoon) to see if the she was in the trap my son set.

Opening the big door it suddenly stopped half way up!

Went around to the side door and found this!!

IMG_6454.thumb.JPG.77bbf7a4b7a9cde86fbbd22b354ca577.JPG

That's the panel I had just about tight in place when I lost my hold and balance falling on my back...

Decided to walk around the back where the hole through the screen was chewed through and found this! 

IMG_6455.thumb.JPG.378bdd10e7cdbd44c124bbbbb0521a90.JPG

When I went inside I found the plastic I stapled on the rafters was hanging down and had caught in the door rollers on one side so grabbed the remote and worked it enough to free it up to close the door till I can come back and staple it back up.

Guess the critter has a peanut allergy as it wasn't in the trap since the door was still set open...

While I'm mobile more I need to move carefully to avoid muscle pain but really need to close the garage up and rid it of these nasty buggers!!

They're not paying any rent, Time To Evict! 🤬

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hey Doug, we just took a little break!

9A57A6BA-496F-40A0-91F7-FB496D71A698.jpeg

• Haha 1

To plan our next move!!!!

hey Doug, I sincerely feel bad about your mishap fall and hope you recoup as soon as possible, just trying to make you and others laugh. Remember laugh is the best medicine. I think I read than someplace. This from your “supposed” friend 

3FB5C28A-3985-449F-BF8B-A078D2B62D74.gif

Edited by Elpad (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Elpad said:

To plan our next move!!!!

hey Doug, I sincerely feel bad about your mishap fall and hope you recoup as soon as possible, just trying to make you and others laugh. Remember laugh is the best medicine. I think I read than someplace. This from your “supposed” friend 

3FB5C28A-3985-449F-BF8B-A078D2B62D74.gif

I tried without success to print that picture to use for target practice!

• Like 1

Where there is one, there is probably a family!  Next day you have a few hours,  turn the Special around, drop the garage door and pipe the exhaust into the empty garage.  Then run the car for 20 minutes.  Would help to have volunteers monitor the two open areas to see if the varmints run out.  Then try to close the areas.  But I hope they all leave, and don't succumb in place.  That will be awful. 

• Like 3

On another note, is there some kind of award for longest thread?  This has got to take it.  I always enjoy the stories that come entangled with life with your Buicks!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, lancemb said:

On another note, is there some kind of award for longest thread?  This has got to take it.  I always enjoy the stories that come entangled with life with your Buicks!

Thanks Lance for following along and helping me out in the past Buick wise as with others here.

Since joining the BCA and this Forums I have read many members postings saying they have their Buick's or wished to have one because they had one when they were young or the family had a particular model growing up.

I have been fortunate to have had my '58 Limited since before I got my beginners permit at age 15 so they are ingrained and an integral part of my life. Sharing that and the purchase of my other '58's early on has been rewarding for me personally and thankful for the likes and good comments from most everyone.

Yes there are stories being told, most of which my patient wife has heard many times over in our relationship of 47 years... but I especially look forward to being at the National this year with the Special and proudly say Hey, it's not a show car, just my everyday driver that has survived all this time and it is what it is. 

The Limited with any luck might be on the road for the 2021 National and should the stars align, would be thrilled if I could talk my son & daughter-in-law to drive it having both cars there...

Only time will tell but I do know this. One way to get that done is to NOT find myself lying on the ground AGAIN!

Meantime, I have a critter to catch...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

Cute, but oh so pesky!

Keith

And destructive...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dei said:

And destructive...

You bet, sorry I didn't add that too!

Keith

• Like 1

I went by today to check on the trap only to find it was over on it's side with the door shut and the cat food can outside cleaned out!!!!

I think I need a bigger trap!

I took JohnD1956's advise and started the Special up leaving it on high idle with all doors closed (but left the two entry holes open).

Watched but didn't see anything scurry out but... maybe they moved faster than I do right now?

The trap is baited again but on the ground outside till I get a the bigger one....

This discussion reminds me of a camping trip our family took with our neighbors years ago.  A raccoon (or two?) got into one of the coolers in the food tent one night.  The next morning I found one of those 5 lb. tubs of margarine licked clean!  I'll bet that critter couldn't travel more than 50 feet without stopping to squat after that meal!  ;)

• Haha 1

With cautious mobility returning I have been checking on the trap hoping to take it for a ride out into the country but...

Having recent light snow falls hasn't shown any tracks into or out of the over hang so tomorrow will grab a coffee and small box of Tim bits to close things up. (with a proper ladder naturally...)

I also have a new box of staples for my staple gun and will see about getting the plastic back up as I want to remove the dash top on the Special to recover the top and change out the speedometer, light switch and radio.

IMG_6459.thumb.JPG.faa0a35356feb76539f20d060eddd0bd.JPG

IMG_6458.thumb.JPG.c28a654da5a144bb9abaf85eaf72b9ce.JPG

I put that up to help hold a little heat when I did the brake job after getting the motor freed up.