dei

ME & MY === 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick and……..

14 hours ago, Elpad said:

Nice car but reminds me of cornflakes

K- Platform ? Kellogg’s Special “k” Cereal?!

On 3/31/2019 at 3:22 AM, Elpad said:

K- Platform ? Kellogg’s Special “k” Cereal?!

"K" cars, got it (finally...).

Well...

After having it looked at by my shop man, turns out while a lot of the devices work nicely, including the air conditioning and the tires and brakes are well within the safety guide lines, we noticed the mileage was exactly the same as the last oil change sticker on the windshield.

Once on the ground again we took it out for a ride and noticed both the odometer and the trip meter were not moving. We tried pushing the rest button and that went back to zero but again did not move. Like my Special and her speedometer the accuracy of the speed is in question so another head would have to be sourced to pass inspection.

Then I noticed the fuel gauge is showing past full and know with the distance I travelled testing and the distance the two of us went that either it is stuck or has a bad ground? 

Then we both noticed the temperature gauge. It showed on the low side and after disconnecting the electric fan to see if the temperature would rise on the gauge, no movement.

The generator gauge also showed only 9 volts which could have been the four year old battery but checking the charging circuit it confirmed there was a problem there.

With all this information I brought the car back to the recently widowed owner and expressed what I figured a now 30 year old car was worth to me. The reply was that she was hoping to get x,xxx amount as her son (retired cop) said it was worth this much.

I thanked her for her patience having the car checked out and asked her to think it over.

Later that night I received a call from the son and he felt it was worth more than my offer because of the overall condition was better than most. 

Another fine example of "shiny paint overlooking the obvious wear on the drivers seat equals a good dollar" so kindly thanked him and said good luck selling it on Kijjiji.

I'm backing away from this one as it was only a gesture on my part to get a driver for my brother-in-law and it would end up being an anchor around my next the first time something went wrong. 

Hell, if it was a '58 Buick I'd be all over this even with the issues it has but... I have enough on my plate. 

(I'm out 50 bucks as it is for the inspection... 😝)

14 minutes ago, Elpad said:

Stick to Buicks!

I agree with you 100%!

5 hours ago, dei said:

(I'm out 50 bucks as it is for the inspection... 😝)

I don't think you are out anything for the inspection.  I think you are ahead xxxx.xx minus $50.00....

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Finished work about 1 today and went over to the Special and pulled her outside to clean up the tires from the bit of mud from my last outing at the Village. Once that was done I drove on over to my sons new home where I found him working on putting in a new dryer vent. He said he needed a few more things yet so since I was behind his truck said, "Hop in, let's go to the hardware store".

But first I had to put the top down since it was our first 65 day !!

It was his first ride since putting on the new water pump and rebuilt transmission.

So far so good on performance and he said he thought it was running nice.

Went back to his place and stayed till the job was done. I then headed home as it was getting on towards dinner taking the long way naturally. 😀

IMG_4645.thumb.JPG.0f290859ce0f6b8eb728fbcd36e60195.JPG

I'm optimistic we are moving away from winter so took her back after supper and parked her inside with the top down.

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 2

With continued weather this fine Sunday went back and got the Special out for a drive.

I ended up back home and did a bit of cleaning up on the interior before supper.

Then as predicted the skies clouded over and with threatening showers headed back to park her for the night.

IMG_4659.thumb.JPG.266ac094e19e470390c4704fc84aef55.JPG

One day I'm really going to have to clean up this garage!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, dei said:

One day I'm really going to have to clean up this garage!!!

I just keep the door closed...

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, old-tank said:

I just keep the door closed...

😂🤣🤗

• Like 2

With my contractor finally agreeing on a price and time to fix / replace my retaining wall I rescheduled work to spend the day removing the patio stones and various landscaping that would be in the way. this of course includes the remains of the Limited parts car but concentrated on the landscaping materials first. 

IMG_4663.thumb.JPG.4020a61b8714d9a20f8e2db5d5442d76.JPG

After 8 hrs of moving 2X2 patio stones, red crushed stone and 9 wheel barrows of lava rock I finally took a look at the Limited.

I left the front seat loose in her and with the doors removed was able to sit down for a minute to look around.

IMG_4665.thumb.JPG.bbf306d07921160b179e616d177d662e.JPG

I lifted the ash try and found this.

IMG_4668.thumb.JPG.849b970ed5b4249e94a980b7adfec514.JPG

I'm pretty sure those are mine as I loved M&M's when I was a teen and likely riding in the back before Dad gave me the car shoved the wrappers in there.

I might just have to put them in the good Limited for nostalgic sake...

Sheese, first the old beer bottle and now these.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just received this from our local weekly car guy.

Since it is of the only other 1958 Buick here in town I thought I'd share.

Tony is thinking of selling her. While I'd love to add it to my collection, it is too much for my budget with all I have to do already.

Sorry, you will have to copy and paste to view this video.

(Please overlook some of the things the author states about this car...)

Posted (edited)

Hope everyone is having a HAPPY EASTER!

Other than a wet rainy cold three days so far, it hasn't been good for rides so I have been keeping busy inside the house replacing the kitchen taps and continuing with working on a basement bathroom addition. 

1073379575_Feb162016-pic1.thumb.jpg.c7ffc4bc8479b2ecceb4297ee6b1e1d7.jpg

This needs to happen as our upstairs bathroom needs a total gutting as the tile has cracked and leaking so this one will allow me time to do the upstairs and not be without facilities for awhile.

The shower is fully operational now and once I get the sink hooked up the tile floor will be next.

IMG_4200.thumb.JPG.51ae0d1b4899a57a949d9dd616e9f0bd.JPG

Meantime, while having a late morning coffee doesn't the phone ring and it is from the lady I talked to about the '89 Dynasty. Seems her son tried putting it on a Facebook selling site and the offers they were getting were really low ball. She wondered if I was willing to go my original offer so told her I would talk to my brother-in-law and get back to her. 

Looks like he is willing so will get back to her on Sunday and make arrangements to get things moving for next week.

Looks like I'll get my 50 bucks back for the inspection when all is said and done (and being a nice brother-in-law?).

IMG_4626.thumb.JPG.0bbbcc52b51caa420db27a07a52313ce.JPG

Another Easter has come and gone and my family seems to be getting smaller with everyone's busy schedules...

Mom drove over in her Van and of course parked in the driveway so she could get out without stepping in the unfinished yard next door. So after driving the Special with my son to go and pick up my brother-in-law, I had to park on the road. At 91 I guess I can't complain about not having to go and get her too! (so far...)

IMG_4680.thumb.JPG.e26acad7c8bfd9c8e27dc0c54bee2118.JPG

The weather was warm at 72 degrees during the day but still cools off fast when the sun starts to go down. 

IMG_4683.thumb.JPG.1be0e1e30d7f0c1aa970cfa7c6fcbc89.JPG

IMG_4684.thumb.JPG.cbe124693bb9189b1c891fa09bd2125c.JPG

The day wasn't all about the Buick but I'm using it when ever I can just like I did some 47 years ago. 😍

• Like 4

With light morning rain I took my time with my coffee and then went out back to move on with dismantling the Limited. I need to have her gone by the end of the month and fit this in with everything else that is going on so shut the phone off and dug in..

I took off the drivers side seat back which made access to the back seat and quarter easier. 

I then took out the rear seat and back to access the quarter panels to be able to remove the power window motor.

1179408524_Limited-dismantling-April232019-pic11.thumb.JPG.37fa0178478c121138d2f5957e77d809.JPG

1621289307_Limited-dismantling-April232019-pic10.thumb.JPG.daa39cfed2165007e09cff1c9529f429.JPG

Once the window was out I concentrated on the stainless trim which shuts on the doors with the flipper mechanism. Not having a body manual I looked for screws which I figured held it in place and other than the very back and front screws it came off with some effort. Those screws are difficult due the the angle of the windshield and the rear body quarter. Had I found my short phillips things would have gone easier. 

798384076_Limited-dismantling-April232019-pic6.thumb.JPG.b02ba2feca5b23f3addb49344f66ca13.JPG

At this point in my day I noticed something out of the corner of my eye and saw this.

1590176908_Limited-dismantling-April232019-pic5.thumb.JPG.df8408c366c466463249f1b5e2dac88a.JPG

Apparently it was unfazed by my radio or me and proceeded over to the pond to quench it's thirst.

Thinking it must have been here before...

2017155790_Limited-dismantling-April232019-pic4.thumb.JPG.06a5f08b2115e5a996bb15bbb73b24e2.JPG

It moved leisurely out to the front like it owned the place so carried on.

Once I get the rear window stainless off, the front seat out and the wiring harness it will be fun to go at the rest with a sawzall. I'm going to try and save the rear window but will see how that goes.

419539210_Limited-dismantling-April232019-pic1.thumb.JPG.f879332c9b276003a0499d3274a084ad.JPG

• Like 1

Looks like a rat rod.  Maybe you want to shove the rear axle back under there and sell the rest as a project car? 

😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

LOL

Actually the rear axle is still under there but she is so badly rusted out that the the coil springs have pushed up through the rear trunk shelf...

1357389391_Limited-dismantling-April232019-pic2.thumb.JPG.7194692f7883df7edeb39dd01e11263a.JPG

I didn't cut anything off the trunk floor, I just grabbed it piece by piece and threw it in a pail.

Saving it this long was more about not having find places to store parts inside the garage but that ship has now sailed!

Continued some more taking off trim to save.

The back upper inside trim needed to come off in order to access the nuts holding the clips for the exterior trim. Luckily the clips were in fairly good shape and not rusted except for two.

957608415_Limited-Dismantling-April232019-pic18.thumb.JPG.284fb8ae5332b5442bf7df151a296485.JPG

Once that trim was off and the clips were tagged and bagged it was time to see if I could locate the screws holding the exterior roof edge trim. I had to scrape lots of thick weather stripping that seals between it and the flipper window trim but there they were.

Unfortunately I was a bit aggressive with the trim before all the screws were out so it has some distortion but will be able to save the passenger side... 

Getting there.

1466688991_Limited-Dismantling-April232019-pic15.thumb.JPG.3f46a7efb69f5912fa7fcd88913493c9.JPG

Once I get the windows out and cut most of the body off it won't take much to cut the frame.

It is so rusted that I noticed the frame under the seat was flexing when putting my feet on it while reaching the trim in the back....

Today I spend the afternoon cleaning and preparing the 1989 Dynasty that I looked at two weeks ago. We finally came together on a price and had all the papers signed to complete the sale "as is" for now.

First order of business was to clean up the tires as they had not been cleaned for awhile.

1095446859_1989Dynasty-April272019-pic1.thumb.JPG.4fc7db5cac0a5008fac73bb02722c9d8.JPG

A little SOS and elbow grease and they looked much better.

591384361_1989Dynasty-April272019-pic3.thumb.JPG.a83cf61a52e5cb5ad52e529ccee1bd2c.JPG

This car is in quite amazing condition for it's age and being a one owner car (purchased new in '89) and garage kept I almost hate to let my brother-in-law have it for daily transportation...

1009240673_1989Dynasty-April272019-pic4.thumb.JPG.b9b66316e78bc073730204a33b0a1e32.JPG

1403085778_1989Dynasty-April272019-pic5.thumb.JPG.8ee158754c19c2c24ad3ef6a3bc4f1c8.JPG

With a fresh oil change and final safety inspection (mostly filling out the paperwork so the mechanic says) he will be on the road again(as long as he maintains it...).

Wish it was a Buick of some kind as it would then be in my stable for the money this one cost to buy.

Many irons in the fire right now...

Like some of you we are dealing with RAIN and some flooding!

Tuesday night was loud and a constant light show from 1 am till about 4 am.

Rainfall totals were between 3 to 4 inches as the lighter rain continued on during Wednesday morning.

The ground was fully saturated from last weeks rain so the City systems are maxed out again and not keeping up. Last Sunday I tried to cut the back yard where I keep the Special and foolishly thought I could get through the lowest part but.... no luck with that! (yes I admitted to the foolishness)

IMG_4720.thumb.JPG.ebfb91210d8f4c3f09f4920604cb0e60.JPG

After much effort getting it out of the mud I continued with the front and... Managed to get stuck again!

IMG_4722.thumb.JPG.dc825aff99eadad7d83ec77a9e792aef.JPG

Fortunately this time the truck was nearby to put a rope on it and save my sore neck and back muscles...

With this recent heavy rain I went over yesterday morning to check things out and found this.

IMG_4728.thumb.JPG.6a2116cd6cc3c01d04d7a9d2dbb00e97.JPG

Would one know the the house basement is unfinished and only utilitarian and it is dry as a bone but being as low as it is the garage had about an 1 inch of water for the first four feet!!

Went home that afternoon after firing up fans and the Special to help ride the dampness to fine our basement wall was seeping in my hobby / train room...

Towel, fans and making sure things are off the floor was fun but nothing I guess like what has been total flooding out in the Detroit area.

Meantime, waiting for the valuation to be completed on the Dynasty for my brother-in-law so he can pay the required 13% tax and other government costs when he transfers the ownership / title hopefully by Friday... and trying to fit my outside work in the mix.

I still have to earn a living yet as I'm free to do since mandatory retirement at age 65 is no longer mandated...

One good thing possibly happening is there might be a road trip in my future.

I responded to a post Lance had made asking about seats for a Roadmaster he has and looks like the seats out of my Limited parts car might suit his needs. I need to verify something before we finalise the deal but with being some 5 hours away and crossing a border, meeting part way might be the best way to go.

Forecast today is for rain between 1 to 2 inches this afternoon on into the evening... and the fun continues!

After a week of rain and some water in the garage, decided after work to take the Special out and dry off any moisture. The temperature was above 60 so left the top down and with no particular destination in mind at first, decided to go by a friend's to see how his Riviera refurbish was coming along. 

He is waiting for his motor to be completed but showed me his completely restored intake and dual carbs. They are beautiful! (sorry no pictures)

Daryl likes my car and gently suggested to go for a ride so off we went.

We ended up at another friends finding him out cutting his lawn (hay field??) and he ribbed us about looking cool out riding around with the top down! I think he was jealous...

IMG_4744.thumb.JPG.675a9f873f45419ef6b15a5b2d769207.JPG

Joe thought he might possibly get his Monarch out as it was the last car parked of the 6 others in his garage after his lawn work and head out for supper with his brother.

IMG_4743.thumb.JPG.501c6cca71f52385ce6d03edbc513d57.JPG

Headed back to Daryl's to drop him off and went on back to park the Special taking the expressway this time. With a full tank of gas opened her up and watched as traffic looked surprised this old red car was passing them!

Nice reward for a lousy week!! 😎 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

OK, family...

Finished installing license plates for the brother-in-law and final instructions today.

No it isn't a Buick but...

He's on the road and seems happy.

IMG_4753.thumb.JPG.2516b393b683f1c42fcd220737b0a9ee.JPG

This car is very much on par with my Cougar...

Posted (edited)

Din't see any change with the gauges so...

Told him to watch the gas gauge and fill it up on Friday just to be sure not to run out of fuel. Meantime he signed up for our CAA (AAA) just in case that happened to him. 

Really a nice car much on the order of my Cougar but... he's on the road again.

Interesting couple of days...

Rain is the "Order of the day" lately and took advantage two days ago of a slight break to cut my front lawn before the next rain cloud moved in again. Finished the whole front and had to go in the house for a phone call which lasted about 20 minutes. I had left the mower over by the neighbours driveway planning on cutting his front too as he has gone away for two weeks.

I went out and thought, where'd I leave my mower?

DANG! It walked off the property!!! 😖

The air was now blue and my wife came out to find what the ruckus was. She said we should jump in the truck and drive around to see whether we might possibly catch who ever took it. Right then to add insult to injury, it started to rain again! 

I feel like that cartoon guy who walks around with a rain cloud over his head... 

So, that effort was fruitless (as expected) and had a restless night planning on locking everything up we own. (yes I know... like the effort of locking the barn door after the horse has gotten out. :blink:)

After getting up yesterday and finding the "Order of the day" was for more rain, spent the morning pricing out new mowers and walked out wondering just when did things double in two years???

My stolen Toro was a commercial grade self propelled model and naturally it was out of stock so put a reluctant down payment on one and decided I needed a diversion to cool my burned ego!

With a deal pending regarding my Limited parts car seats I had promised to look at my Roadmaster convertible for Lance out in storage first. The drivers seat back rests too far back and couldn't remember exactly what the issue was. My original plan was to save the Limited seat back as a replacement or parts of it to repair the Roadmaster seat. 

After a phone call to the owner of the storage place for access I was off and left the mower issue behind.

I've posted a picture of the car before and it is a future project that happened to come along way back when I was a kid. The price was right and the storage rate is great ...

IMG_1069_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.67f293bb700828d5edab8788eb37df7e.jpg

With light rain it was good to be inside even if it is tight but was able to take the seat back off and put it in the back of my truck to bring home and determine what the next move will be. 

I also grabbed a bunch of of unmarked car keys I had because I wasn't sure what was in the trunk and couldn't put my hands on the specific Roadmaster key.

On the first try I was able to unlock the trunk so maybe things were going to turn around?

IMG_4756.thumb.JPG.c99f42c6a0022c56e8ae291884a304ab.JPG

Not too much in there but was pleased to see the card board side panels are there for patterns at least.

After a brief conversation and thank you to the owner I headed back to the garage with the Special and decided to clean things up after seeing what was going on with the frame.

IMG_4757.thumb.JPG.74aa2a726ea964645ce7dd579bb2fdfb.JPG

I knew the car was abused when I bought it but can't figure how the bracket was broken off like that?? The car was never hit but has the usual dings and scrapes carelessness brings.

Using some old soft furry seat covers I placed the seat back on the trunk of the Special and then started to cleaned up the bird droppings and years of dust / dirt, again keeping my mind off the pending cost of a new mower while it drizzled out.

IMG_4760.thumb.JPG.10065e4b913281838e0dec49adf2cc7d.JPG 

With surprising results I kept at it, first the back...

IMG_4763.thumb.JPG.17b2d29beb4f6face69a2ff9db7c290a.JPG

And then the front.

(before)

IMG_4761.thumb.JPG.fc87abee42ece79dd8e4d0ed9f81c191.JPG

(and after)

IMG_4762.thumb.JPG.458197d96ac78b372798d43df2437a88.JPG

They are not perfect but with an estimated price of $15,000 to re-upholster the complete interior (including door panels and carpets) for the Roadmaster & Limited series convertibles in the correct factory materials many years ago, I'm thinking it would pass for a driver for awhile.

Now to decide what to do to fix the bracket issue and keep the Limited seat back together for Lance...

I also grabbed one of the back seat ashtrays to clean up. These have the chrome knob/grab handles to open the lid compared to the black plastic on the Special series.

It looks good also considering having been there this long. Will get the other one next time...

IMG_4765.thumb.JPG.167e2cc23351d7f06abbb3dfe2776581.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1