ME & MY === 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick and……..

dei

With the state we are all in it has been awhile till today needing to get away from the news and my business concerns.

With the weather in the 60's I went out to the garage and managed to move things around in order to get at the drivers side rear wheel with a jack. 

IMG_6714.thumb.JPG.365de195665c63989348ebba75f5f5e1.JPG 

I had to get the jack under the axle to get it up high enough to place a stand under the bumper bracket first to get the tire off the ground.

IMG_6725.thumb.JPG.4cef9349d6376e958dcd813d417cc947.JPG

Naturally I loosened the wheel bolts first and took them out but...

With the low fender design could not get the tire and wheel past the metal to get it out as it was hanging up on the drum.

IMG_6715.thumb.JPG.6e2fa821739e81cf0925ab4024f68b2a.JPG

I backed away to think about it and decided to lower the axle and voila!

IMG_6720.thumb.JPG.2d08735d90fbcbe58013b703f1855087.JPG

I had rebuilt the brakes on the car awhile ago and was pleased to see the drum looking as good as it was. I had to take off the centre/locating pin as the rim I was putting on didn't have the holes in the rim.

IMG_6721.thumb.JPG.4a53b4b349034e67ef38d764f4c1b495.JPG

Needing a break as my back was complaining a bit I turned my attention to the wheel bolts. They were in good shape on the threads but decided to put them on the wheel and clean up the heads before installing them.

IMG_6722.thumb.JPG.fb1717d111ec73f7b590d05042ee627e.JPG

IMG_6723.thumb.JPG.e67c2f589c0c8bd53aa970f06058ae13.JPG

Everything was good to be able to slide the wheel in place and with the jack, was able to lower it to get the bolts started saving some strain of the back.

IMG_6724.thumb.JPG.e07276d36b4cce3e561cdf9b26578065.JPG

IMG_6728.thumb.JPG.d5ad6397938db45e39c9e9d2e58b466d.JPG

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I then turned to cleaning up the hub cap which proved to have lots of curb rash but will do for now as a roller set up and keep in my mind what she will look like when finished. I have a set of really nice hub caps wrapped up to put on when that time comes.

IMG_6729.thumb.JPG.6159143507ac1f6cfcacb2db47094e86.JPG

IMG_6730.thumb.JPG.19a1f0218f4af7e97275493fe63ac0d5.JPG

With three out of four wheels installed i need to decide if I want to lift the front end higher to get at the frame and floor area to clean and paint at the transmission area before installing it or move move stuff and pull her out on the flat passenger tire to be able to replace it outside for access.

Meantime, she looks not bad from this angle.

IMG_6732.thumb.JPG.c488a4a518ff90a645937180f23387ec.JPG

Fortunately the day was in the low 60's and with a nice evening and calm winds decided to relax after supper with burning some of the dried fall branches and twigs.

Thinking it might be time to replace the faded out flag...

IMG_6734.thumb.JPG.72e397da65ffde59f1437c07d1fc2981.JPG

• Like 5

Thanks. I like the way you say keep picking away at it. It's a bit like eating an elephant, one bite at a time I guess.

What paper was the article in?

I have met Tony & Susan with their Limited on several occasions.

It's a very nice car and a great couple!

I took this shot at the Retro Fest Car Show in Chatham.

IMG_5161.thumb.JPG.4027a5911e8052b5ff645fba062af7ac.JPG

• Like 2

It was from the West Elgin Chronicle... it is a small publication under 20 pages that comes out weekly. The author does quite a few articles about various old vehicles and the history surrounding them. Yes that is the car, and the pictures in this article are from the 2018 WAMBO event in Wallaceburg. 

0219-GS-1buick.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another Day In Paradise...

Like everyone else we found ourselves needing to restock some groceries and this time my wife asked if I would go with her. 

Wanting to have more time with either car, I said sure so let's go hoping it will give me some credit...

With a population of 200,000 or so and a Provincial (and Federal) mandate that non essential business close down, traffic looks like a Sunday at High Mass.

Pulling into the parking lot it was obvious that others have the same needs but it was not packed like a usual Friday would be.

IMG_6739.thumb.JPG.4ebcfef39a7017ae73786f92f8d587a1.JPG

Once inside past the two employees wiping down the shopping carts, we immediately observed the produce tables fully stocked as well as the dry goods section. Yes there were a few absences of things like packaged breaded shrimp (just sold out when we were there and naturally what I like) and TP but... coming to believe that this is the norm for awhile and will have to time the visits a bit more to get those things. 

All throughout though there were signs to "Limit purchases to 2 items per Customer".

I'm OK with that and since the number of people in the store wasn't high there was no disorder to deal with, Thank Heavens.

This thing that I really didn't expect (but should have) was checking out.

We came to the end of our shopping at the freezer section and there was this line of people with their carts standing there, occasionally moving up.

OK, maybe that distance thing right?

IMG_6736.thumb.JPG.58e35cf12b2c22bcbea8d88e028316ff.JPG

It didn't take long to realise the store was exercising the safe distancing rule for not only us but their staff too.

IMG_6738.thumb.JPG.47907f3868865913a00c6198da1c0e1d.JPG

I don't wish this thread to divert to anything controversial please, just sharing my experience up here in Canada as of now. 

With the latest National Emergency System Notification this afternoon to stay home due to being on the Border avoiding anyone that has come back into Canada that has to be quarantined for the next 14 days, looks like I will be focused on the Special and or Limited again.

(after of course, I work on the Honey Do List first...,) 

MAY WE ALL STAY WELL!

Doug

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, dei said:

I don't wish this thread to divert to anything controversial please, just sharing my experience up here in Canada as of now. 

Similar to what I'm seeing here in upstate NY.  My wife took advantage of online shopping offered by one of the local supermarkets.  Placed her grocery order a couple of days ahead of the appointed pickup time, then texted when she arrived to pick up the order.  She had to accept a few substitutions, but it was efficient with minimal social interaction.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EmTee said:

Similar to what I'm seeing here in upstate NY.  My wife took advantage of online shopping offered by one of the local supermarkets.  Placed her grocery order a couple of days ahead of the appointed pickup time, then texted when she arrived to pick up the order.  She had to accept a few substitutions, but it was efficient with minimal social interaction.

My wife did that for a time back in the Fall with the store I posted above.

Even then after checking things on line she found lots of substitutions or deletions so went back to gathering what she wanted through the store.

We currently should be good for the next two weeks and hope... things at least flatten regarding the confirmed cases.

If not, then doing as you did EmTee will be the responsible thing to do.

• Thanks 1

While dealing with a job on the "honey do list" this week to keep the peace at home don't I get a call from a business I deal with to perform some work in my field. With all that is going on I had to insist on a lot more information than "It's OK, everything's fine" before agreeing but after checking, rechecking and insisting on certain requirements, things have been good to go so not much has been done with the Buick's other than dropping the bad tire and rim off at my mechanics to remove it so I can clean it up before putting the last tire on to complete the roller set.

I stopped by today and it was ready to bring home. I was quite surprised at the condition and it should clean up rather nicely.

IMG_6754.thumb.JPG.4a4ed675fd529edc13c5c6b38369007e.JPG

Guess it was that port-a-wall at the bead not providing a good seal as the inside looks really nice.

IMG_6755.thumb.JPG.55a212d3be6911804e5c33b4a3f8c296.JPG

I decided to take a trip over to the Special and check on things as there have been reported break in's with cars parked in driveways and at the curb. This is not the norm for this area but... things are not at all normal right now.

Fortunately things were fine security/building wise but looking around the property don't I see this...

IMG_6750.thumb.JPG.efa1da9f88d9ddd30a9852ce023fbcca.JPG

I don't think my neighbour is aware of this yet so will get out my chain saw and remove it before I hear from him.

Some April Fools joke this is...

• Like 1

Having had time to think about that tree limb while working alone at night, decided today to gather some things and head over after lunch to get at her.

Fortunately as big as it is there was no damage to fence or shed roof that I could see but didn't want it coming down and really doing some or worse... hurt myself.

Gathered up some cement blocks from behind the garage and placed them under to take some weight.

IMG_6756.thumb.JPG.5307c66f3efd3f8b5ce3822f66b89d8b.JPG

Working carefully, ready to jump back should things not go well I was able to cut the top section resting a bit on the shed roof and the fence. Fortunately I was able to keep it from falling between the shed and fence on his side.

IMG_6758.thumb.JPG.540492d81441e82ce427b9b20af54424.JPG

I worked carefully at the next piece and was pleased the blocked I placed did what I wanted to, keeping it from falling towards the fence (or me) to keep damage at a minimum. I think the fact half the limb is rotten helped as the block sank into the limb...

IMG_6760.thumb.JPG.2e5e503cf1e261085baf52161a2d6557.JPG

While half of it is indeed rotten, the other half isn't and my little electric chain saw was showing signs of needing the chain sharpened by the time the third piece was cut off.

This time as I expected, I had to move back as I neared the bottom of the cut...

IMG_6763.thumb.JPG.9c690638054bc17f594a2bbf62e3f120.JPG

No harm other than a few broken blocks.

While I didn't see any but by looking at those holes figure carpenter ants have killed this tree.

I was able to lift it back on some blocks to make another cut. (Used my legs NOT my back...)

IMG_6765.thumb.JPG.1c8ab405269f01884f494a6109de1a30.JPG 

With that much cut up and a bit of trimming where it broke off, I quit as the chain needs sharpening before I can do any more.

Going to have to call in the professionals when things settle with the business closings and all as it is about 70 feet tall with more rot than I like to see.

IMG_6759.thumb.JPG.1b7439a438f8d3d739abfdc52eb020bb.JPG

What does this have to do with my Buick's you ask?

Nothing, except if I want to get at them thought this just might have to get done first and to keep peace in the neighbourhood.  

Now where did I put that ant spray???

• Like 1

With lawn work starting up I dragged out a Lawn roller from the side shed that was given to me to see if I could hook it up to my riding lawn mower and do Mom's lawn. She has been complaining all last year that her lawn was so bumpy to walk on and thought I'd give it a shot before having a professional do it. With out steady work, what the heck?

IMG_6772.thumb.JPG.e0445773db557ee30c20c0f6509dbff0.JPG

Played around with what I had and jury rigged something knowing it was just that, jury rigged and tried my lawn first. Surprisingly it held so loaded things up and headed to Mom's.

Once there my son calls wanting to borrow the trailer to get some drywall from Home Depot to finish a project before the predicted light rain came today.

I helped him hook it up to his truck and after he bought what he needed, took it home, unloaded and came back I was finished the front and back yards.

So he looked at what I put together and said that he could fabricate something stronger (a.k.a. politely saying better...) if he had material. It was decided that I'd head over to Princess Auto

and meet him at his place to make up a proper hitch.

IMG_6773.thumb.JPG.37dfb96aba1ca078260ede422fe20038.JPG

With both he and his fiance having been working from home for well over two weeks we still kept a respectable distance in an attempt to stay well.

In better times I would have asked to go for a ride in his Mustang but... the times they are a changin'.

image.thumb.png.2bc54211f4b2bfea9d0302529aad10e2.png

Packed things up as the day had gone by quickly and will go back tomorrow to give his work a thorough testing. I'll be very surprised if it has any issues knowing he likes fabricating things. He had lot's of practice while in University making up things like the frame and suspension of the team SAE Car.

• Like 2

Quick update:

My son finished the lawn roller hitch and tested it doing his property before loading up and heading over to the Special property.

IMG_6775.thumb.JPG.29437ea038b8316ecf59b7558d2849de.JPG

Once there decided to clean up the side yard as the contractors left stones all over when they had to repair the busted sewer main (for the 3rd time...).

IMG_6780.thumb.JPG.1997a3291f6dfd875b8df67f00416051.JPG

Last thing I need to be doing is cutting the lawn and shooting stones at traffic whizzing by...

Wonder how City Hall would feel if I send a bill for my time???

IMG_6784.thumb.JPG.5ded5410b6a5e1c457c25da060477891.JPG

Now... time to check with the boss before I get back to the Buick's!

• Like 1

With Car Event cancellations especially around here, called the Hotel in Strongsville to see if our reservations are still good and they replied that they were indeed good still. 

Guess that means I had better get into the garage to work on the Special after I pull out a sweater and zip the liner back into my coat. 

Made a provision run yesterday finding shelves stocked and things were orderly but had to deal with a long line-up to get in out in the cold wind. It was only 40 degrees so brrrr.

With this being Easter weekend not surprising with the crowds and took it as a wish to celebrate the best we all can.

Best wishes to all.

Doug

• Like 2

Busy day today:

All building and hardware stores are not allowing people inside now so started my day after my 2nd cup of coffee by calling to order a can of paint to refinish my lawn roller. They called back to say I could come and wait outside to get it at 2 pm, they would bring it out to me with the debit machine while I sat in the truck. 

Made use of the time poking inside the garage at home moving a few things around, sorting what should go out and label a few boxes of the good stuff.

After lunch headed to the store and when the girl finally came out, handed me a bag containing a spray can, not the quart I wanted to brush paint...

Patience is a virtue.

Finally got what I needed and headed over to my other property where I parked the roller and rider.

Since I was only going to paint the frame for now load them up which saved me from having to bend over.

IMG_6794.thumb.JPG.eaf7aea797481d010adc3a8f93f352ff.JPG

Those rubber gloves came in hand to keep my hands clean of green paint.

Just as I finished cleaning up I had a call from on of my car buddy's saying he and the usual weekly car cruisers were meeting at the Mall parking lot to go around as a group to several Nursing homes and the Two Hospitals with signs they made up to honk there horns drawing attention as a Thanks to the Nurses, Doctors and Staff for all they are doing. 

Joe thought I might have finished the Special by now and was thankful I was thought of but told him I didn't think it a good idea to ride in the back seat of his car (but given a different situation sure would have!).

I headed home and cut the lawn for the 2nd time. It is really taking off this year and looks full.

I went back into the garage finishing up the box I had a few things in and looked at the dash for the Special that has been sitting waiting for me to get at.

Being almost 60 degrees I brought it outside and after scuffing up the top (I never finished painting it) I sprayed a light coat of black.

IMG_6551.thumb.JPG.48424da60cd018a932397e3573358af0.JPG

I waited for it to get tacky and finished it up with a good second coat.

IMG_6797.thumb.JPG.e75c111b352da9210fe07956f55826ba.JPG

Left it out to dry while I went back into the garage to organise the padding, sound insulation that needs to be clued underneath, the speaker grill and find some cardboard to make a pattern for cutting out the padding. 

Satisfied with that all together I went to the back of the Limited and looked at the tire I had put on the drivers side rear. I know the tires are a size or two smaller than they should be but something didn't quite look right to me.

I finally figured out that with both the engine and transmission out of the car the axle is a bit back from where it should normally sit. It would have been even more obvious had I put on the chrome gravel shield which would hid a bit of the tire.

IMG_6800.thumb.JPG.d11ee8150aa4a638b7940b353b3134a8.JPG 

Some of the things I found buried in a pile of boxes were the quarter chrome side bars so went through a bunch to see exactly what has been hidden from my two cars all this time. 

Not many have all three studs to mount back on and the chrome is pitted on most but put 10 of the 30 that should go on the car on for a shot or two.

IMG_6802.thumb.JPG.3daa6b0a1c829103713d47aa94a7332e.JPG

These are the original pieces to the Limiteds but I purchased a complete set from Cars way back  (when they were cheaper than they are now) that are safely stored in a container in my basement ready to be installed once it is running.

Those are a bit different in shape to allow a threaded nut to go on versus the push catch piece used on the originals.

I think once all 30 are installed the average person wouldn't notice the difference but I'm sure another Limited owner would! 

IMG_6807.thumb.JPG.315bcf10dba116eaf84b6e275cc509a5.JPG

Check the clock and it showed almost 10 so put the cap back on the chrome polish and grabbed the now dried dash for the Special bringing it inside.

Before shutting off all the lights I just had to take another shot.

Some people count sheep to go to sleep well, you get the idea.

IMG_6805.thumb.JPG.bbbe0e55b5a801faa223f275da5d0800.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Checking email and the Forums with my morning coffee I read the Official notice that as of today the 2020 National Meet in Strongsville, Ohio has been cancelled not postponed.

While the decision to attend or not was in the forefront of our minds, it is somewhat disappointing that it is now finished this year.

However, with all the uncertainty of catching this potentially deadly virus I do agree with the decision made and can only imagine the disappointment felt by all the people involved organising what most likely would have been a great event.

Thank you all for your tireless efforts and considerations!

• Like 5

It is disappointing that it happened like this Doug.  I was so looking forward to meeting up with you and the  Special this year.  Perhaps there could be an unofficial  BCA re-union later this fall?  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JohnD1956 said:

It is disappointing that it happened like this Doug.  I was so looking forward to meeting up with you and the  Special this year.  Perhaps there could be an unofficial  BCA re-union later this fall?  

Only time will tell for this year John but I look forward to that possibility.

The good Lord knows we all will need a weekend sense of normality at some point and a photo op beside one of your cars would be a nice start!

• Like 2

On 4/16/2020 at 10:14 AM, JohnD1956 said:

Perhaps there could be an unofficial  BCA re-union later this fall?  

I would certainly be interested in this, we can see how the summer goes.

I'll add to Doug's comments that it must be more than a bit disappointing to everyone involved, so I sincere Thank You to those folks from me as well.

There was the comment at the end of the announcement which made me wonder if they are thinking of moving everything along a year, ie, Strongsville next year, then Charlotte in '22 instead of '21. Lots of juggling to that I'd think.

Keith

• Like 2

You would be on my way Keith should John (and whoever else) agree to a BCA reunion and be able to meet when able so would enjoy the drive with you & Glenda.

That hope most likely would be very late summer IMHO but there would be nothing wrong with a Fall Colour Tour now would there. 🙂

• Like 2

Yesterday was not a washout but a snow out!

Started like this about 10 am and it was cold.

IMG_6820.thumb.JPG.d60c41c21f396d9dccd7d39131151a89.JPG

Snowed all day and accumulated on everything but the roads fortunately.

Amounted to 3 inches by days end (8pm).

IMG_6825.thumb.JPG.09940a5af305efd76018de1690dea9e7.JPG

Too cold out in the garage so hunted up a few good movies on the box.

• Like 1

Today felt warmer by 11am and was actually able to cut the lawn again after a late lunch.

After putting the mower in the trailer I went into the garage and saw the dash top sitting there and decided to put the speaker grill on. 

IMG_6827.thumb.JPG.c373040eb3083ad1cfc8fde639308f7f.JPG

Turned up the radio and taped some pop can cases together to use as a pattern for both the padding and eventually the new vinyl covering to be put on.

IMG_6826.thumb.JPG.4d96e7000f442d04e3f09e5983c82479.JPG

the padding is a soft molded covering used today which can be cut with scissors and glued to the metal top.

IMG_6829.thumb.JPG.fd936bb6ed884f4a957277bbe12fa00a.JPG

Setting the padding aside I flipped the dash top over and placed the original insulation to verify I could still use it. 

IMG_6830.thumb.JPG.b95241d31a99797a5515064863659f25.JPG 

Will leave the speaker off until I get things glued up and cut the vinyl to go over the padding.

It is supposed to be warmer tomorrow than today so the plan (mine anyway...) is to set things out in the sun and get this covered completely then take over to the Special and get at the innards needing to be replaced before I forget where all the nuts and bolts go.

It seems we have another 25 days before the Province reviews whether the lock down will continue or not. Let's hope!

• Like 3

With temps going into the upper 50's today want to continue with the dash top for the Special.

I have a question;

Taking the dash vinyl and old cotton padding off I can see they were glued to the metal and each other, using the new what I will call dense foam padding, should I glue it to the metal top and the vinyl or let one or the other float allowing some movement due to heat expansion and contraction? 

The vinyl is black and the original vinyl material (knowing it is over 60 years old) shrank and wrinkled looking shoddy. 

IMG_6577.thumb.JPG.113dca09fae76ab39203469e9e24fa40.JPG

Appreciate any thoughts on this.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, dei said:

should I glue it to the metal top and the vinyl or let one or the other float allowing some movement due to heat expansion and contraction? 

That's a tough call Doug.  On one hand you do not want them to move too much in-between once installed in the car.  So in order to provide for a future repair if needed, I'd vote for gluing the padding to the vinyl and not to the top of the dash.  Then if you have to,  at least you can get them off in one piece ( hopefully) afterwards.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks John.

I might be over thinking this but looking for ideas on the heat / expanding / shrinking thing with regard to vinyl. Of course doing this now, will it be an issue some 60 plus years from now?? LOL

Sat on it today and will make a call to the fellow that supplied me the padding and might also call a fellow that does restorations who started his business after working for RM Restorations just to get a consensus before moving forward.

Meantime, spent the afternoon working around the back yard and needing to get out of the house since it was left last fall in a state due to the construction of the new wall, fence and future garage pad.

Raking up meant lots of dried branches and things so started a fire after supper.

IMG_6834.thumb.JPG.bd4f936b2c080ab3392e31dcd04ef990.JPG

Lots to do yet but figure I have another month for sure before the lock down gets lifted.

One thing I found while at the back of the garage was a robin had made a nest and sat there undisturbed by my walking around her while I was that close. I assume it was her mate that was chirping away up in the tree behind.

Apparently the other nest (which I didn't remove last year) wasn't to her satisfaction and the pair built a new one. 

Should I tread on thin ice here and say that is just like my.... ? 😘

IMG_6831.thumb.JPG.fbe8efb774e77185c4be4a73ce8e52a4.JPG

• Like 2

Spoke with my supplier guy about the padding and he said they glue everything to avoid movement so will be getting to that when the weather co-operates. It is only 40 degrees today with winds around 30 miles an hour from the northwest making it feel around 32 degrees...

I want to spray the contact cement outside and let it set out in the sun so with another 25 days and counting down to the hopeful end of the lock down, will pick a better day.

Meantime, had a call from a friend who has a '57 Super that has been stored as long as my Limited. He has been thinking about what should be done with the car heaven forbid he comes down with the virus and...

He asked if that should happen if I would deal with the car in what ever way it would be deemed necessary? Fix, sell or scrap, he just doesn't have anyone in his life that would care or want to have to deal with it. 

I asked if he was OK, to which he said so far, so good but has had time to think about a lot of things with this shut down and his Buick was one of them.

I told him that I would he good with that if and when the time came and heard a sigh of relief over the phone.

The car was "running when parked" but would need the usual things done to be roadworthy again like my Limited. In fact, when I took the original Limited off the road way back, his gas tank had too many leaks to repair and I gave him the tank from mine. He had to have the filler neck moved to fit his but someone got it done and he was on his way again. 

My friend is not handy mechanically so everything car wise is a big cost hence parking it all this time.

I need that like I need a hole in my head and would be the first to help getting the car going again if my projects were not in play but the car is in good safe storage sitting behind my Roadmaster so it is in good company.

Now, if my wife hears about this... YIKES! 😬😱

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I won't tell her Doug! In a different part of my life, a friend told me (via email!) that his wife was making him get rid of a bunch of his things, "just in case something happens to you". So people are definitely running scared in this. Truly most of us not prepared if the worst were to happen.

Keith

• Thanks 1

I knew I could trust you Keith!! 😉

My Buick friend is pretty much alone and while I think he is not running scared, just finally thinking about the future. He has never been able to come to terms of selling his car (not unlike me...) so reached out to me and guessing it gives him some peace that it will be dealt with.

This all would hinge on the fact I out live him but "I" don't want to go there with that right now!! 

I might have posted this before but here is the car in it's day.

1209048061_1957BuickSuper-FunonWheelscarShow1983.thumb.jpg.ef7a6c83499b3da844221143d697265f.jpg

Here it is today behind my Roadmaster.

IMG_1086_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.9d0b95c3472647857151d9303a23f90f.jpg

IMG_1077_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.8ec26255cb410fbef8c3dbcd3b88fb4d.jpg

IMG_1079_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.fd81992fd07e91245c28ecafe8f366f9.jpg 

IMG_1080_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.2105f2d113e957a790a997b4ef940450.jpg

IMG_1084_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.0fe0f9d94023d39ce6887575b5004b26.jpg

It will be a "project" for sure as it will need all the Buick fixing that they need after sitting this long but it really is a solid car to work with. The fact that it is all together compared to what I've done with my Limited, well... better for me to stay focused on her !

After all the '57 shows 74,000 miles where as mine shows 57,000 miles and talks to me every time I go into the garage... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

Neat car, and potentially a very nice car. A '57 Super 2 door would be a nice driving car. What is the colour? Looks a bit like Garnet Red?

How long has it been sitting, like 20 plus years?

Just curious, Doug.

Thanks.

Keith

I think you are correct with it being Garnet Red Keith.

I believe it must have been painted at one time in it's early life as when you look at the firewall it is white or that off white which I would believe was it's original colour.

Yes it has been sitting for at least 20 years but always inside which as we all know still means lot's of work to bring a car back to road worthiness.

I did move the engine a bit using the fan with pressure on the belt three years ago to test if it was not locked up. I didn't want to go completely around knowing the cylinder walls would be totally dry. I hoped to go back later to remove the plugs to put oil or a mix in them to help keep things oiled but...  

While not apart it still is going to be a project for someone and bet Lance can say exactly what to expect with having four '57 Roadmasters.

Personally I like the four door hardtops and had an opportunity to get a '58 Limited four door once but they do take up a LOT of room and storage is always an issue!  

• Like 1

Yes Sebastien my truck is an F150. I ordered it new December 28th 2010 on promotional deal for the new 2011's. It is a regular cab 8 ft box with the 3.8 V6 (not the eco boost) and has the trailer package option.

IMG_5225.thumb.JPG.bc733f2c3fdc99097542a9c40155c4db.JPG

I use it for my business which unfortunately is now locked down due to the virus (not unlike a lot of people...). It has only 115,000 kms today and will be my last new truck. I have oil guarded it every fall since new and plan to keep it as long as I can.

I've had a few offers to buy it (not any serious money though) as there are not many regular cab trucks made anymore and greenhouse operations like these trucks for their business.

With the trailer package it handles my car trailer and Whippet with ease although I don't push it very much. That is what the passing lane is for you guys!

1531399030_Sept42011-pic12.thumb.JPG.4f387e8a941024defc00fa4fe2b1ff30.JPG

Interesting you say F150's are not popular in France.

Does Ford not sell these there then?

It is an large truck even in the regular cab model so would imagine they are difficult to fit in parking spots much like your Electra will be when you are on the road.

I've never been to France but have been to Florence and was amazed at the small size of the Commercial vehicles but understood that with having to get in the tight roads/alleyways for access.

I really wish North American manufacturers would come to their senses and produce a basic truck here for commercial business again. It took me three months to take delivery because I ordered the truck without carpets!! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dei said:

It took me three months to take delivery because I ordered the truck without carpets!! 

Believe it or not a lot of F-150 trucks are now sold without carpets.  I bought mine (2016) off the lot (extended cab) like that.   It's not the lowest model work truck either (but not high end either).  I didn't want carpet so I was glad for it!

Edited by lancemb (see edit history)
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, dei said:

It is a regular cab 8 ft box

Like my '04 Silverado that I bought used 8 years ago.  Even then, I had to hunt to find a regular cab with 8-foot box.  I was originally looking for 2 WD, but wound up with 4 WD because the choices were so slim.  I have been taking it to Rust Check every fall because like you, I'm planning to keep it as long as I can.  It's getting close to 250 Kmi now...  ;)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dei said:

Interesting you say F150's are not popular in France.

Does Ford not sell these there then?

It is an large truck even in the regular cab model so would imagine they are difficult to fit in parking spots much like your Electra will be when you are on the road.

I've never been to France but have been to Florence and was amazed at the small size of the Commercial vehicles but understood that with having to get in the tight roads/alleyways for access.

I really wish North American manufacturers would come to their senses and produce a basic truck here for commercial business again. It took me three months to take delivery because I ordered the truck without carpets!! 

Thank you very much for all the information.
It is superb and well equipped ;) 
"Imperiale" (it's called like that in France) is very practical to put your scale on the Ford and does not take up space :) .
Indeed the Ford F150, chevrolet silverado, GMC Sierra, ... are rare in France.
The only F150 of the 2010s that I saw is that of a person from my village that he bought from a French star (Gérard Depardieu), it is a Ford F150 Raptor SVT. but it is one of the rare that we see.
And the F150s that we see are often Raptors.
Even the Dodge Rams are not numerous in France.
If you want to see these American pickups you often have to go to American gatherings.
And the people who buy an American pickup is for this ride with (as if we are in a Dodge challenger, ...), it's for fun, it is often rare when it is to work with.
Renault (renault Alaskan) tried and marketed a pickup a few years ago, like Mercedes, but we don't see much either.
  • Thanks 1