dei

ME & MY === 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick and……..

I put these on my Electra last year... very comfortable tire.

https://www.amazon.com/Multi-Mile-Matrix-All-Season-Radial-Tire/dp/B00MZBU2CI

I think these Hankooks are the only other "off the shelf" tires you can get now with a white wall if you don't want Coker or Diamond Backs.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/search/brand/hankook/part-type/tires/wheel-diameter/15-in/sidewall-style/whitewall

Both my Buicks are 15-inch tires.  The Matrix tires were very cost effective.

Cheers,

Doug

• Thanks 1

I am running those Hankooks with a narrowish whitewall on my '69 Electra. I had a long search to find those, if there are other readily whitewalls of any description, I couldn't find them here in Toronto. I am quite happy with the Hankooks so far. I had a set of them on my '56 for over 15 years, the longest I'd ever run tires, and they were just showing a bit of minor cracking, the tread was still good, but I replaced them as I drive the car quite a bit, highway as well, and don't want to take chances. Those whitewalls were about the size Doug has on his '58, and I was happy with the look too.

Keith

The Matrix multi-mile have a slightly wider white wall than the Hankooks, but only marginally.  I'm surprised you would have trouble finding either of these in Toronto... both are readily available around Vancouver when I was looking.

I checked the link you posted on the Amazon / Matrix tire Doug and the first thing I noticed was that it states, "Does not ship to Canada".

That suggests the $89.00 per tire cost is payable in US funds and as I'm sure being in Vancouver, BC you are aware the exchange rate today is about 31 cents on the dollar to buy US. That pushes the tire to 120.00 CDN each before the 13% tax here in Ontario which then makes it 135.60 each without getting them here across the Border. Those guys have their own ideas about what they charge (Duty or otherwise) when importing auto parts etc. so even if I cross and return (which is now 16.00 round trip) to a pickup point in Michigan, gas etc. for the five tires I bought for 800 everything included and mounted, just seems a good deal. 

Now, if it is imperative my tires be the original WW size and bias look well, I'd just have to bite the bullet. Obviously right now it isn't and I just want to drive safely and with confidence.

Oh and because I have dealt with the owner for years for my business trucks and the wife's cars he threw the alignment in. Since I had replaced the necessary front end parts at the same time I bought the last set the front end was in good shape and didn't take very long. 

I do appreciate you guys sharing your experiences with tires as I have bias ply roller quality ones on the Limited for now but will be needing new ones for the road when she gets to that point. No sense getting them now and age on the rims at the pace I work... :wacko::P

• Like 1

Doug, yup I realized those links are for US websites, but figured it might be more useful to 90% of the people on the forum.  I bought the Matrix tires at my local tire shop here as they had them in stock.  Similarly with the Hankooks... I could get them from a local shop.  Tires in the US are definitely cheaper than up here, but I just wanted to show what I was able to find when shopping.  Around the same time, a buddy in Washington state with a 67 Wildcat bought the Hankooks and, at the time, they would have cost me $135 CAN a corner.  The Matrix's were slightly cheaper than that, and I got a slightly wider WW.

Edited by dmfconsult (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I know of a few guys that have driven over Doug and put tires on their car during a 48 hour visit and drove home thereby claiming the exemption allowed per person. Guess I could have done that planning it into the trip to the National last year but since the fuel pump died the week before, just wasn't in the cards. 

All part of the price living in a Border City. 

By the way, I have been to Seattle, Wa, Vancouver Island and Vancouver City many, many years ago. Need to go back again! BEAUTIFUL PART OF THE COUNTRIES! :)

Now that would be some 'Road Trip' in the Special, top down on a summer day cruising through the open Prairies with the Rocky Mountains looming closer by the mile and then pulling up to the Hotel at Lake Louis in the heart of the Canadian Rockies...  :D

Time for another coffee possibly with some Bailey' and ponder the possibilities...

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, dei said:

Now that would be some 'Road Trip' in the Special, top down on a summer day cruising through the open Prairies with the Rocky Mountains looming closer by the mile and then pulling up to the Hotel at Lake Louis in the heart of the Canadian Rockies...  :D

Then we'd have to modify our driving challenge to 4,500 miles.  :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JohnD1956 said:

Then we'd have to modify our driving challenge to 4,500 miles.  :ph34r:

No fear of that this year John! :lol:

Obviously I have a bit too much time on my hands right now to be dreaming up something like that although... :unsure:  

• Haha 1

On 2018-03-09 at 6:24 AM, dei said:

Time for another coffee possibly with some Bailey' and ponder the possibilities...

I’ll be making that trip from the west coast in 2 weeks!  Won’t be taking the convertible though, it’s a bit too early in the season to be driving those cars through the Coquilhalla summit or Rogers Pass. Traffic cams from this morning and lots of sand and gravel on the roads due to all the snow they get. 

1011DCCA-3AF0-4E4E-B0E0-D3845E02E760.jpeg

19D13601-F97B-4AAA-8C60-ECFC8B086297.jpeg

• Like 2

It is stunning, looking at it from my chair in front of the PC and a whole other perspective during the summer in full bloom!

Safe travels Sir. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Doug, when was the last time you've been to Seattle? Wouldn't exactly call it beautiful, more like cesspool these days. 

20 hours ago, Beemon said:

Doug, when was the last time you've been to Seattle? Wouldn't exactly call it beautiful, more like cesspool these days. 

Well Ben you'll get a laugh with the answer... I was there loooong before you were born. :lol:

It was a family trip in a 1959 Oldsmobile 98 in 1969. 

I do remember catching the Ferry to go over to Victoria on Vancouver Island and seemed to be a  somewhat industrial looking area but I loved the water and boating back then and with the long ocean swells gently rocking the large Ferry, feels like yesterday.:)

• Haha 1

Went over to get the Special today as it was sunny and in the upper 30's.

after adding a quart of oil, adding a pint of transmission fluid and topping up the power steering unit off I went to top off the tank with high test.

While there a gentleman came over and said he liked the car. Then he asked what my plans were to restore her? 

I love to see peoples reactions after that question when I say that I have owned it since High School and guess I'm a bit behind with that.:lol:

Went for a ride and blew a few cob webs out before heading home as I wanted to pull the Limited out again.

This time I used the Special and the rope.

IMG_2781.thumb.JPG.02e3dd3187dc4e9edb0ba6ddb50128f0.JPG

This is the first time these two have been together in a looong time!

Once the Limited was out far enough to have room to get things out (that truck seat especially) without scratching the car, I found the right rear tire was almost flat. Will have to see how these tires hold up for rollers...

IMG_2782.thumb.JPG.c271e1339996b1ea3fb10e71d9d1edce.JPG 

With a 5:15 dinner engagement looming I worked quickly to sort through what was junk and what to save and with pumped up tires was able to push the Limited back into place fairly easily.

IMG_2784.thumb.JPG.7bbba1c1c0eabff9aaaeccb5bc4f9fc2.JPG

Accomplishing this has gained me about three and a half more feet at the front.

NEXT - need to clean off that mess from the hood up on the roof.

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, dei said:

1 hour ago, dei said:

Then he asked what my plans were to restore her? 

Next time tell em: If it ever needs to be restored, you might sell it.   :lol:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Next time tell em: If it ever needs to be restored, you might sell it.   :lol:

OH NO John, that is against my Religion! LOL

Didn't get the Special back to her garage before dinner and planned on going back afterwards but... I just parked it in the wife's spot for the night since the forecast was to be dry again for most of Monday.

IMG_2785.thumb.JPG.29447580e43173ec58f99390a2188019.JPG

I didn't mention I tried to put the other fender skirt on the passenger side before coming home yesterday and had difficulty getting it to fit right so left it off as the mission was to get the clean up going. 

I remember now why they have been hanging in the garage all this time.

During my driving home I could hear and feel the drivers side rubbing against the tire so took it easy. Seems with the radial profile, the bit of body movement with coil springs and the metal lip on the skirt there just isn't enough clearance. 

Looking at that I might be able to cut the lip back enough but don't want to weaken the metal to allow them to fall off or bend while putting them on. Needs to have more thought before I do anything. Beside, I don't need to waste precious time any more. Times a goin' by...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dei said:

OH NO John, that is against my Religion! LOL

2 hours ago, dei said:

Next time tell em: If it ever needs to be restored, you might sell it. 

The key word in the sentence is:  If   Add emphasis while practicing saying it in front of the mirror. :lol:

• Like 1

You are too kind John. :D

I don't fool myself that the car is in excellent condition. There is lot's that should be done but as it is she will now get me to where I want to go and get me back so just enjoying the rides.

• Like 1

I learned a valuable lesson today.

After driving the Special back to the garage before the predicted snow showers, Came home and received a call from my wife.

I saw her go out this morning with a bag to be placed in the garbage can and then drive off to work. Guess she noticed the fender I had moved to get the Limited out and in my haste to get things packed up forgot to put it back inside the garage.

IMG_2786.thumb.JPG.bff6f4bdc51d4d5d2b5d0375600efa02.JPG

She thought it was some scrap metal I was holding onto and didn't want it laying around...:o

Lesson: Keep important items out of sight locked up or it might just disappear on you. 

After work today decided I had better move on that fender lying about before I get told again that it might end out on the road for the junk collectors. :mellow:

First I went out back of the garage and brought up the fender I had taken off the parts car to see whether it was going to be any good for patches and take off the stainless trim.

IMG_2789.thumb.JPG.cb05112063c3784c440da3afcc115e3f.JPG

I need to save those rocker moulding clips as I'm not sure where I'd get new ones.

IMG_2795.thumb.JPG.197e387d88bcc4c28ade823b910d8d9f.JPG

Unfortunately the wheel opening stainless is broken. I have a few others that are broken in the same place. It cleaned up nicely with some metal polish and a rag. Not sure it it can be welded back together or maybe just put a metal sleeve in it and bolt back on... Will ask around.

The long side moulding came off nicely and cleaned up beautifully. 

IMG_2800.thumb.JPG.7579a4307dfdca4253a80550eaeca624.JPG

Was able to tuck things inside for now before the wife came home and will see if I need to salvage some of the old fender or do work on the one in prime later.

Meantime a possible road trip in the Special is to be confirmed in the morning. :)

CARS has the rocker molding clips.

The stainless can be welded but requires an experienced hand with a TIG.  My Limited has this same problem, and when I went to assemble it to sell, I just bolted the trim back on and it held just fine without any extra clips or sleeves.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Adam, I have what is left of the clips in a freezer bag for comparison and will look into Cars for new ones.

I remember seeing when you put the Limited back together to ship Oversees but can't say I noticed the wheel mouldings were broken too. Must be a common fault of that trim just like the eyebrow mouldings.

Have you heard from the fellow you sold it to and see what he has done with finishing it?

Heading out soon to get the Special as it has warmed up to 48 with the promise to hit 53!

Had a thought concerning oil changes.

I changed oil last year right after finishing the brakes and have as stated put on 1,075 miles on that oil change.

I usually change it after 1,800 to 2,000 miles so while not quite there yet, being it has been a full year, should I change it now or wait till I reach the mileage point or do you think it matters.

1,800 to 2,000 miles if you do a lot of idling and short trips less than 10 miles.  Road trips oil and filter at 3,000 to 5,000 miles.  That car probably uses 7 quarts and with that massive filter it could probably go more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1