ME & MY === 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick and……..

dei

That's mostly the reason (or my excuse...) for leaving her together all these years, never enough space!

Saving the shed and putting it beside the garage will help for that. My wife doesn't understand as she thinks "everything car part wise" is just JUNK. 😕🤐

The shelves and cabinets are just about full now.

IMG_2361.thumb.JPG.bff86c4eb57427fee0eb54d6d41b8ffb.JPG

I'm labelling things as I go which is also tedious but is a necessary part of the process. 

I find a tire marker is handy for the big stuff and hope it helps my boys when the time comes.

Yes I have a flash drive full of pictures to assist getting things back together on the good Limited.

Even with having my hands on all my '58's most of my life I still need them to get things right...

When all is said and done with this hobby I have said to my wife, "At least you know where I am and it keeps me out of the bars!"

I'm watching your progress and know you get what it is all about (as do others taking this journey). 

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 3

It is a comfort to me knowing I have a supply of certain extra parts.  However I look at some of my stuff now and question it's value.  If it hasn't broken in 63 years, what is the potential it will break now?  And if it does have potential to break, what is the possibility I can get new parts to replace the broken ones?  

Things like trim and bumpers and one off pieces are worth having around,  but how many does one really need?  I have a set of window regulators from one '69 Electra.  The motor could be used on various regulators or made to work on various regulators,  but I have never had to pull one of the regulators I kept yet, and so I do not feel bad about the 3 other sets I let go.  I also have more than one set of headlight trim for the said 69 Electra, which I no longer have and most likely will not replace.  Just cores which couldn't be sold for much $$$ and are prolific in the country anyways.  Why did I keep so many? 

When I think of the stuff my siblings and I trashed from our parents place I am reminded that survivors have their own set of priorities.  Even labeled stuff will be trashed by survivors, so my personal mantra is keep a minimum of stuff around for the "just in case" scenario.   Even with that, I do recognize the need to organize, and get what I've kept,  in some sort of order so that it will be easier for my survivors to know what goes with which car.  This may be a good summer for that, God willing! 

• Like 1

I understand what you are saying John.  Thanks for your thoughts.

This winter is somewhat of a cross roads for me on many levels and questions come to mind like you are stating.

Regarding the cars, there are many parts that are shared between my three models so yes, saving model specific trim is a must allowing me to pick the best to put on that car.

Labelling them now is mostly for the boys who are not familiar with them like I am. As you say "God forbid" I'm gone, I know my wife will have stuff carried out and junked so it will fall to the boys unless I hear they are totally not interested, then...  

My youngest son said to me one day last fall that I should get moving on the Limited and enjoy "both" cars.

It hit me that I had said something very similar to my Dad regarding his beloved Whippet.

It was what turned out to be a 28 year novice restoration only I pointed out how would he feel if he lost his license at age 80 and didn't get to enjoy driving his car?

That made the difference for him and now listening to my own advice coming from my son. 

It isn't just about the memories going through my mind while taking the car apart but thinking about what "new memories" we can make using what I have putting things to the best use. 

Both cars at the National in 2020? Hmmm... 

That would be a huge one for me but...  I'm more motivated by dead lines now than ever and well, will see.

Another thought in the back of my mind is the fact the owner of this Limited that Dad bought it from, is still living and it would be such a joy to call him one day and ask if he would like to go for a ride in what essentially is identical to his "old car".

To be cont'd.

What’s going on here.. you guys all thinking of after life? Got to confess I dream that it was my time last night, more like a nightmare. Have you guys thought of buying about 6 cementery lots and get permits to bury you in a casket inside your Buick ? You can fit a lot of extra parts in there too, and survivors can easily just dump the seats or sell them on 👿 Bay.

Mr Joe Black meets Tutankhamen 

• Haha 1

Not dwelling on it but...

There are a lot of irons in my fire pit lately and looking ahead I need to get focused and not sit idly by. Changes are in the winds for me personally and as was pointed out at the last funeral this season, most of us are just too busy living to prepare for the inevitable.

Dwelling on it? No, but needs to be included in my equation.  

Meantime moving ahead and keeping at it! 

Come on Spring!!

Not sure there will be time for a trip to Miami Elpad but maybe another time I can take you up on your generous offer! 🙂

If anyone following knows of car events even cruise-in's in or around Tampa between Feb 9 - 20th Let me know as my car craving will have to be met. I did a bit of searching on the net but nothing jumped out (or not looking in the right spot).

Christmas came again for me!  😁

I received all the new parts to be able to put the Special back together again.

IMG_4184.thumb.JPG.b05eec8b78b0c0dac64beff7812ab432.JPG

Then.....

Two of my car buddies came over this afternoon as requested (dressed for this COLD) to help move the shed halves I wanted to put beside the garage.

I had spent most of this week clearing out stuff to make room and with the rear quarter cut off the Limited figured there to be enough room without anyone getting hurt.

IMG_4181.thumb.JPG.4473a0ada6922c206350e2d83b12e63a.JPG

With three of us things went fairly well and they are now in place end to end.

IMG_4187.thumb.JPG.143bc97fdc7745b61d4ca1a5b7af5dc0.JPG

They will require some securing at the wall and along the floor and "YES DEAR", they will be painted up come warmer weather... 😍

Each section is 14 feet long and 5' 5" wide which will work nicely for the saved Limited parts and assist with cleaning out the garage too making it easier to get on with the good Limited.

My neighbour is good with this and in fact had told me before building the new house that he is planning to take down this existing fence and build a higher privacy one with 6X6 posts. He is German and believes in building things STRONG to outlive him. 🙂 

Heading out to dinner with these guys to celebrate tonight and will continue securing them tomorrow, 25 degrees or NOT! 🤗

Another great day today even if it was cold.

Having asked for help yesterday I returned the favour for Deryl who owns two Riviera's.

He wants to pull the motor and transmission in his Gold one to reseal them and check the motor over while it is out. 

I posted it earlier last fall when he came by for a visit but after helping him remove the hood (a two man job) I just had to shoot a picture of the factory stock two four barrel carb setup.

IMG_4188.thumb.JPG.bb092cb812ce718a0e0655f432b3eb4f.JPG

IMG_4189.thumb.JPG.99980ce61b77e6c5e597178fad6123b7.JPG

He has both cars side by side in his garage but will be moving this one into his new 12 X 20 portable garage temporarily to do the work with more room around the gold car.

IMG_4190.thumb.JPG.dd66266a481086f30f107ed178265834.JPG

The hood pulling didn't take too long putting it inside his basement for protection and after showing me some of his NOS parts, headed home to work on securing my shed in it's place. With the sun out today it looked nice but seriously cold working without cloves holding screws...

More to do yet but it's going to work as I expected it would.

• Like 4

Just came across pictures my brother-in-law scanned from my parents slides and while not a good shot, shows my now parts car limited behind Dad's '28 Whippet project right after he bought it in 1968.

Ives-Slides_957.thumb.jpg.fc6f3feb23457bcf7b0f00b10166a9dc.jpg

When I put the time frame together Dad was driving the Limited back and forth to work 60 miles each way then. It was two years after this shot when the universal broke that he purchased a 1959 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight to replace her and offered to give me the Limited if I helped him take the torque tube assembly out putting in a new u joint and put it back together resulting in my first car.

At 16 having that somewhat know it all attitude sure helped bring us closer together and gained his like (disease?) of old cars!

His then carport was tight with two big cars in it but by June of that year I was fully licensed and 120 dollars poorer for one ball joint, alignment and muffler and tail pipe (one side only of the dual exhaust system) But... had my freedom! (at least till the gas tank was near empty... LOL)

1981520876_1958BuickLimited-inforujointrepair-Copy.thumb.jpg.3f447713b4655033f17531dd2e593e60.jpg

I guess you can see why the other Limited needs to get on the road again!

• Like 2

Hello Doug;  I, too, was 16 years old in 1968.  However my dad had no interest in autos, our family car was a VW he bought new, his first new car, followed by a Maverick in 1970.  Do you know where the Whippet came from, a fellow club member maybe?

BTW, Dad built a new house soon after the Maverick came and it became a truck, once he hauled a 45 gal drum of water in the trunk for the brick layer.

Regards, Gary 

• Like 1

Minor point here Gary but for the record I was 16 in 1971 when I got the Limited. Really too long ago to be of any significance. 😁

As to the Whippet, Dad bought it from a fellow HVSO member Ken Hunter as you see in this picture.

1743928848_1928Whippet-dayofPurchase.thumb.jpg.4bd5c1518ad197dbd07673d77434fee5.jpg

That is Number 3 Hwy beyond the Model A in the middle of the Village of Cottam, Ontario.

The story goes that it changed hands a few times between members before coming to Dad's attention. With each preceding owner work was done and parts gathered to get it at this point in the picture.

Not sure who had started the restoration / resurrection but it was passed down that the car was found sitting in the sand abandoned during WW2 on the North Shore of Lake Erie. It had been there so long that half the wheels wood was gone, body wood was all but gone beyond good for even patterns, upholstery was gone, instruments smashed and the motor was rusted / seized. I knew that one of the Club members supplied the motor that is in it today and a serial number check shows it to be from 1927. Willys used this same block for a few years so outwardly you can't tell any difference. Dad didn't actually hear it running when he bought it but took Ken's word that it would run and once he put a better carb on it he indeed got her to run. 

The time span was 28 years for Dad to actually get behind the wheel on the road and was one of his greatest accomplishments car wise! 

Of interest to you Gary would be those wheels. He stripped them all using some broken glass to get rid of the paint taking each wheel apart, sanding each spoke and I talked him into finishing them natural. 

When he found some green paint on the inside of the hood after he cleaned it up I also convinced him to go with the green body and get rid of the red fellows and hubs. He always said he didn't like green but... when it started to come together he was very happy with the results.

1729846610_YpsilantiOrphanCarShow2011-pic1.thumb.JPG.997c786007425bf833103d3309069120.JPG

There are parts on her from the East Coast, West Coast (both US and Canada) and as far south as Florida. That purchase was an NOS gas tank in the original Willys Overland Whippet shipping box!

I know this thread is about Buick's but the car is such a part of my life and well, you asked... THANKS! 😂

• Like 1

On with the Limited...

I managed to secure the front portion of the shed today and decided to start and clear the stuff (parts for the good Limited) sitting on the frame and around her. 

These are but a few so right now will be keeping the good parts in this section.

IMG_4192.thumb.JPG.d036a372f72f8d4a69bc82e82ac7607b.JPG

There will be more as time goes on but separating things as to this car will help moving forward and give me the needed room to work.

IMG_4191.thumb.JPG.2dd1cd0a0dbc69e78fa0d9c3959c7125.JPG

To be cont'd...

Colder than you know what yesterday so took care of some business matters instead of freezing my fingers.

Today was better and spotty sunshine so spent most of the day outside. I didn't do any dismantling of the parts car but... with finally getting a forecast for snow by Friday afternoon (have been lucky there) figured I'd better secure that back section to avoid it buckling under the weight of any snow.

I left the full 14 feet in tact for this section and will have to build an extension on the garage to actually close it in but I plan on using it for the parts off the Limited I feel worth saving and not worried about it being lockable for now...

IMG_4194.thumb.JPG.05375293254b8140303c3a6b150df047.JPG

Once I had things in order decided to grab a can of metal / rust primer and cover the front section to keep headquarters happy. This will be good for now till I get the paint when it is warmer.

IMG_4195.thumb.JPG.18752b7566c6455a6bdc551c19b8c3be.JPG

Went out back to sort things as to saving and junk metal I had cut off and put them inside. I didn't measure them but those rear quarters just fit along the wall of the existing garage...

They are not in that great a condition but I have a somewhat crazy plan for them (down the road..).

IMG_4197.thumb.JPG.d61b6e9cbad3931f01ed1e307bbe4fd6.JPG

I have to clean / remove all the stones, landscaping along with the car to allow access for the contractor to dig out the retaining wall and rebuild it to put up a new fence. It was that fence and shed that gave me the privacy to keep the Limited here all these years but it is time. 

IMG_4198.thumb.JPG.b45d2e8bbf6c33b7d1c8982367a043e0.JPG

Lost daylight by 5 pm but cleaned up and will continue tomorrow hopefully taking out the rear quarter window and motor.

IMG_4199.thumb.JPG.4ae89c47d4e03c8f200f09281c4ffd3e.JPG

Meantime the Special has been neglected having the new water pump and hoses waiting to be put on yet...

Mother Nature finally served us with a dose of winter yesterday! 🤷‍♀️

She dumped something like 6-7 inches of snow and the wind picked up during the day...

Needless to say no Buick efforts were done as I have several Seniors driveways to deal with let alone my own.

IMG_4209.thumb.JPG.314040823309fe19ccb1d3b507d00ee1.JPG

Fortunately I got my shed halves secured and the parts are safe inside.

IMG_4208.thumb.JPG.6f45ba2af57efdfa4c7c45083f078d6b.JPG

Considering this is the first snow fall of the season here of any significance, not complaining too much.

I did however have to deal with equipment issues!

The snow blower had a shearer bolt bust on the auger which I found I didn't have spares so a trip to the store was necessary before it closed for the night. Working along after that at one customers as I approached the truck to load up when finished there doesn't the wheel fall of the snow blower!!! 😖

Oh the Joys!

Picture this. It's 9 pm, I'm out on the road in a residential area that has not been plowed yet, it's windy with light snow whirling around and it's 18 degrees out (without the wind chill)...

After pulling the truck up to use the head lights to see what has happened, I find out a linche pin used to hold the wheel on the axle has disappeared!! 

My machine is not new so guess it could have broken but in the snow could not find it. What to do at this hour? 

With having a box of wood screws from the efforts to attach the shed to my garage I grabbed one and a pair of vise grips and it fit the hole so bent it carefully as not to allow it to break off again due to weakening the screw as I had three more places to complete yet.

A night of surprises to say the least and when I pulled up to the next job don't I find five cars in a driveway. With now real place to put snow, felt like calling it quits!!

IMG_4213.thumb.JPG.7d43d38164c5074decba95fb53af24a4.JPG

Fortunately the snow at this temperature is somewhat light but this job was all hand work...

Got home in time to catch my wife watching the last of the B J Auction hoping to see the 1958 Buick Century convertible come up but I died in the recliner before the end of the show!

• Like 1

Catching up from a 14 hour day and browsed the BJ Auction results tonight to relax a bit.

Found the 1958 Buick Century convertible and it sold Saturday for $99,000!!!!

227449_Side_Profile_Web.thumb.jpg.b09c285ea5de81a2aec37e768c5bf274.jpg

Says it has only 30,845 miles and sure looks sweet!

227449_Rear_3-4_Web.thumb.jpg.c6937d1cf2c8070412de8e1e8e281c0f.jpg

Love those spotlight mirrors!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

With having a few storm fronts passing through our area dumping 3-4 inches of snow each time, cleaning up takes it's toll on the snow blower...

Most of my tools are with the Special so quick repairs are made there.

The cold temps hinder any major work on the Special with no heat in her garage but the forecast for the coming weekend is to be in the 40's both Saturday and Sunday.

Hope they are right for a change!

IMG_4216.thumb.JPG.942804cdbbc2e84c99a7d59df4477d30.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dei said:

The cold temps hinder any major work on the Special with no heat in her garage but the forecast for the coming weekend is to be in the 40's both Saturday and Sunday.

Considering the ground is likely frozen, that will just result in a water run off problem.  Have you stuffed the water ports on the Special with something to prevent nesting while you have no water pump on there?  Still recommend stainless steel scrubbies.  Mice don't seem to like those things...thankfully.   

On 1/29/2019 at 11:55 AM, JohnD1956 said:

Considering the ground is likely frozen, that will just result in a water run off problem.  Have you stuffed the water ports on the Special with something to prevent nesting while you have no water pump on there?  Still recommend stainless steel scrubbies.  Mice don't seem to like those things...thankfully.   

Yes I will have water run off around the garage to deal with but with this current DEEP FREEZE going on, will deal with the thaw when it comes by Sunday.

Right now today I have been dealing with frozen water pipes in the house!!!

My son called about noon to say he had no water running in the kitchen or bathroom so hauled my aQQ over and we believed the main water line to the house before the meter was frozen.

I had gone through the Provincial Energy Program 4 years ago and they insulated the basement wall building stud walls, then insulation and covered the vary inside with heavy plastic to government specs but... the waterline after the meter goes up the wall tight along the blocks, has a 90 degree turn going through the basement rafters to the various locations needed. Could not believe they covered the pipe along the outside wall with R12 fibre insulation leaving the cold to transfer to the pipe!

We pulled all the insulation out of that section, put a space heater right on it (in the fruit cellar area) and opened a few cold water taps. Took about 2 hrs before we had any success but as of yet still do not have the 2nd floor water flowing...

Heading back now with another space heater to put in that bathroom and hope there are no split pipes!

We have at least two more nights of below zero temperatures to deal with till Saturday when it is supposed to reach 45 degrees....

This morning it was -14 degrees with wind chills at -38.

The Buick's have to wait this one out!

Wow!

What a difference 48 hours makes!

The weather is loosening up and it is to be 34 degrees for a high today and close to 50 tomorrow and Monday... Thank Heavens!!!

My knees are sore from praying the pipes didn't burst on my other house and guess it paid off as heating areas suspect of freezing with space heaters, we got water to flow after 10 hours and no split pipes...

Heading out to change a burned out brake light bulb on Mom's Venture Van and then over to the Special to gather up the new water pump and thermostat housing to paint them up. Hope to put things back together tomorrow with the garage door open and the tunes on!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Managed to paint the water pump and the thermostat housing but it took awhile to dry. I used a brush and likely put it on too thick leaving it to dry in my basement which is a bit cooler.

IMG_4223.thumb.JPG.234a4254bada71424ace024198a228ae.JPG

Decided with the temperature reaching 51 degrees today to get back out to my shed floor beside the parts car. All the wood has to be removed and there are 2'x2' patio stones under the plywood and 2x4's so lifted things with pry bars and hammer.

IMG_4225.thumb.JPG.4fe06e50d4785de43c99138b2c9ac009.JPG

The plywood and 2x4's came up nicely.

IMG_4227.thumb.JPG.73df3ddfc50d79de417d586f0a0df3ea.JPG

I was hesitant to start lifting those patio stone thinking they might be frozen to the ground and possibly crack but pleased I was able to save the ones I've lifted so far! 

I left the row next to the car to keep from tramping in the mud when I get back to dismantling her. 

IMG_4228.thumb.JPG.1e33cec2af9eca77a3f193ca6d4f28aa.JPG

Will head over to the Special tomorrow to assemble things as it is going to be in the upper 40's before going back in the upper 20's again...

It is still winter yet but taking advantage when I can.

Another 50 degree day, YEA! :)

With three places to look after, Buick projects get shoved down the list at times but did move on the water pump project a bit.

I decided to put the thermostat housing and 180 degree thermostat together after making sure the housing (on the engine) was clean of gasket material. I had the bolts bagged so not to loose them and when I took them out, decided to put a wheel to them to clean up the threads and get ready for a bit of paint once all is together.

IMG_4229.thumb.JPG.87ea57a3adc4bbd57f0cb14bc271db4f.JPG

I next had to clean up the face of the timing chain surface for the water pump gasket. Went at that with my drill and a brass wire wheel.

Then I took out the bolts for the water pump and thought I'd better put them to the wheel too as the threads were looking gunked up also.

IMG_4231.thumb.JPG.636e183a739864239ac9c7ccca8b0b40.JPG

That took awhile but set them aside to look for some glue to put the gasket on the water pump to aide in getting things on straight. With no luck finding some, started looking at the other parts going back together and decided to do this right and clean / paint them up.

It was after supper time before I had things prepped and painted and will have to go back tomorrow once they are dry to install everything. 

One more day of mid 40 degree weather with the radiant heater I had purchased last week and I should be finished SOON. Come on Spring...

• Like 2

Started out around 40 and has dropped all day but... IT"S DONE!

Found my glue to hold the gasket in place.

IMG_4235.thumb.JPG.eb6a5935ada476c49d1b0d91c3999ad8.JPG

Nothing about this is Rocket Science but can develop problems sometimes.

The top short bolt by the heater hose gave me troubles getting threaded. It took trying several bolts to get a bite but had to leave the lock wash off to ensure a good grip.

IMG_4236.thumb.JPG.3ad3b6ee0e5a55b1492def188f800ef7.JPG

All my parts were ordered from CARS by phone. 

Decided to put the lower rad hose on first and had to carefully cut some off each end to make it fit taking a little off at a time.

Comfortable with the fit I tightened up the clamps and started at the upper rad hose.

I did cut the rad side some but....

No way, No how was this going to work!

IMG_4237.thumb.JPG.41f9660036fd799592c93958377be964.JPG

Anxious to get this done I headed over to a local Parts place to see what could be matched up with my old hose. Was able to come up with one for 15 dollars (edit: s/b 35 dollars) having the right shape but had to cut it to fit. I left it off as the next order of assembly is the fan shroud. This went well and I actually lowered it a bit to avoid the fan touching the bottom of the shroud.

Then it was time to put the fan / pulley assembly together...

I contemplated bolting it up to the water pump before installing it and maybe should have as my ribs are sore from leaning on the rad cradle (with blanket padding) and reaching inside the shroud to line up the bolt holes! (I'm not as young as the last time I did one...)

IMG_4242.thumb.JPG.8f7f5c340063526094b5235938feebbb.JPG

Double checked things for tightness and filled the rad up with fresh antifreeze.

Time for the moment of truth.

Cranked her over and she didn't baulk so watched as she warmed up. Naturally I over filled the rad and waited till the thermostat opened up letting it run for 20 minutes before closing the hood and backing out to go for a ride!

Headed over to home to show my wife but she wasn't home. (That's my excuse - haha)

IMG_4244.thumb.JPG.a93b695ae442bdf91f89fc3145c247e2.JPG

I took the long way back and put her out on the highway. What a treat to feel that transmission respond to the pedal and have more heat with the 180 degree thermostat!

It ended all too soon but with a pending ice storm over night timing was good to avoid more salt on the road.

IMG_4246.thumb.JPG.2dca9f8c90fbcbc6a442a68d761c69dd.JPG

This little trip is just the start of my car season.

IMG_4247.thumb.JPG.7ec55985b5f1cffb7b19e40969502362.JPG

• Like 5

I meant to say something about the fan belts.

As stated, I purchased everything from CARS speaking with Ken and we ordered parts together for the 1958 Special 364 Engine.

Not only was the upper rad hose incorrect (but labeled as 58), the fan belt for the power steering was waaay too short and too long for the generator!

I ended up using my old belt for the power steering as it wasn't in bad shape at all.

Not sure if the brackets are different from the Roadmaster / Limited models possibly due to air conditioning but I'm going to address this with Ken since it represents 55 US dollars I'm out (plus the 30 CDN for the other new hose).

9 hours ago, Beemon said:

Too long for the generator and too short for the pump? Were the mislabeled? lol

Most Likely Ben. The rad hose definitely was wrong and the belt would not work. 

Everything else was good but remember reading about issues before...

Seemed like a nice guy on the phone. I'll send pictures and see what he will say.

• Like 1

Went over to the Special to touch up a few spots here and there as it was another mild day but with showers.

After some minor outside work between those showers decided to start up the car again to check for any leaks. This time it back fired twice before starting and I manually put the choke on from under the hood to ensure it kept running. That was new...

Once warmed up I kicked the choke off and it idled like two days ago and after a bit I touched the throttle a few times only to feel a hesitation before revving up. 

It became very noticeable when slowly stepping on the throttle so... Figuring the accelerator pump is going bad and might as well get the Carter two barrel rebuilt!

Sat down tonight and looked through my box for the Special and found notes having had it rebuilt before. Guess I can't complain too much as that was in 1986.

15 hours ago, dei said:

It became very noticeable when slowly stepping on the throttle so... Figuring the accelerator pump is going bad and might as well get the Carter two barrel rebuilt!

The accelerator pump only works with anything but a slow opening of the throttle.  More likely due to lean transition from idle to faster run.  Wait until summer blend fuel is available again before condemning  the carb since the winter blend is more volatile and burns leaner.

On 2/7/2019 at 9:49 PM, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Doug, if was me, would check any filters first. 

Ben

After having done the gas tank and new lines to the carb last summer changed the only gas filter at that time. Being clear plastic will double check but so far has shown no signs of plugging since. The Air cleaner is fine so...

On 2/8/2019 at 11:21 AM, old-tank said:

The accelerator pump only works with anything but a slow opening of the throttle.  More likely due to lean transition from idle to faster run.  Wait until summer blend fuel is available again before condemning  the carb since the winter blend is more volatile and burns leaner.

I have read various discussions about fuel blends summer and winter but filled up in late November with about 12 gallons of Shell High Test.

My self diagnosed carb reasoning is that with sitting for thirteen years prior to getting her back on the road two years ago and having to change out fuel filters numerous times before finally breaking down and doing the gas tank refurbishment, that possibly time and fine particules got through so...

Going to check vacuum lines too as they are old. Condition of points and plugs should be looked at closely and the list goes on.

Thanks for your suggestions guys.

Yesterday was a good day (although cold again). 

Received a text from 95Cardinal the night before wondering if I might have an extra pair of hood springs? Seems his are weak and not holding the heavy hood up safely. 

Told him I would bring over what I had and see if they would be good enough for his beautiful restoration work. Beside, I told him it would give me the excuse to see his car up close and personal!! 

I found Joe in his storage building working on the car and after viewing them, decided to leave it up to his body shop guys to figure if they will work or not. They are not mint so understand that the finished product might not be worth the effort appearance wise. If they will do, it would be satisfying for me to know a small part of the old Limited would continue on in what will be this prize winning car!!

Can't wait to see it on display at Detroit's Autorama this March!

I will leave posting pictures for Joe to post but I had to be careful not to drool on that spectacular paint job.

IMG_4256.thumb.JPG.841462658a69431429711c0bfcb9fc8a.JPG

The guys that did this fabulous body and paint work are two places over from Joe's and he said there was some pizza the guys had ordered that we were welcome to.

It's called Master Works Automotive Services and while specialists with Corvettes they do work on other makes.

IMG_4259.thumb.JPG.d27ac0d7de60af56d547e539f337fa2b.JPG

I love my Buick's but should a windfall come my way this '72 would turn ma crank!

One of the owners has this '53 in progress and would be something to own also.

IMG_4253.thumb.JPG.a3a2e1febae6500f3a98410fe2fd5fbe.JPG

And this is only a small part of the place...

All and all a fine way to spend 4 hours on a Saturday! 😁

Now, heading out to see if I can make the Special perform some before we get another bit of predicted snow showers this evening...

• Like 1

Went over to the Special and started her up after three or four pumps of the accelerator.

With it being only 21 degrees out left it on high idle to warm up sufficiently before pulling of the air cleaner housing and checking some vacuum hoses. I found one small one that had come off one of wiper system so grabbed some black tape and secured it and one other that has hardened.  I will replace all of them with new ones before the season starts.

Naturally had to do a road test to determine if that had made any difference so backed out and closed up the garage.

IMG_4261.thumb.JPG.a3b30075f8a887a0a7d41b9884f2f7b0.JPG

I'm not trusting the gas gauge yet so headed over to the gas station to top her up and not experience running out of gas (again). It only too 15.00 to fill so called a friend before leaving to see if he was working on his Riviera. Told me to come on over to see what he was doing.

IMG_4263.thumb.JPG.43389149963f170c80e52e85ca1b149d.JPG

Deryl did this car over 25 years ago and was now having rear main seal drips and power steering and a few other what I would consider minor issues. He decided to pull the motor and transmission having them rebuilt and is going to repaint / detail the engine compartment while they are out.

IMG_4262.thumb.JPG.dcf06413e3e22b7c58711f66d85efe1c.JPG

That sure will be one fine Buick!

After showing me some of his new and cleaned up parts I decided to head out. 

I headed towards the Expressway as I wanted a longer run to study her performance and was very pleased with it although around City streets there is still that slight hesitation from off the line. 

IMG_4264.thumb.JPG.910a6cfed191bc13cae8698f0610c8a8.JPG

Went to the end of the Expressway and took the long way back to her garage stopping in to see Mom who was just coming home herself. At 91, living at home and still driving I'm lucky she is doing as well as she is but know I need to keep an eye on things.

After a short visit following her inside it was time to go and park the Special. I had left her running with the heater on full so it was nice and toasty when I jumped in. 

Had to take a shot (or two) before putting her away.

IMG_4266.thumb.JPG.b9c4fddc26e206c06f4edf7d2270c3b5.JPG

Not a bad day and drive but need to fine tune things a bit more to be totally satisfied.

IMG_4270.thumb.JPG.767d1f0458fada0f29bb26e1e1149a5a.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have not been around lately due to taking a vacation getting away from the crazy winter here!

Our day of departure was really fun with an ice storm making our early flight commute to Detroit Metro interesting...

480898830_IMG_4272-Copy.thumb.JPG.311494834923ceb00bc1b7dbb1a1e1cc.JPG

Naturally flights were delayed and when we finally boarded the Captain finally came on the PA to say the plane was experiencing computer issues and we waited and we waited while two technicians scrambled back and forth...

I did not like the looks of the ice let alone the thoughts of computer issues! Lord knows I have enough problems with my PC let alone thinking about the possibilities of something in the air!! 

42690653_IMG_4274-Copy.JPG.736feb82a161fdcfa02354cb08d1d593.JPG

With all the plane delays it looked like a giant parking lot getting in line to have them de-iced before take off.

This all took longer on the ground than the two and a half hours flying time to get to Tampa Florida!

We don't fly very much so quite the experience!

With having quite a bumpy ride once in the air we saw some sun on the approach to Tampa and saw this cloud formation. I thought it looked like a LaSalle or Cadillac hood ornament and took it as a good omen for the rest of the vacation.

1139306024_IMG_4275-Copy.thumb.JPG.d1ae70f31f3015401c5a15addc456131.JPG

The Captain set her down really smoothly and our host was there to pick us up right on time.

Great feeling to get rid of our coats and step out into the 65 degree sunny day!

The 10 days seemed all too short but managed to get a bit of car time in by driving over to Zepherhills Car Auction, Car Show and Swap Meet. Unfortunately it was on the Sunday at the end of the big event but still managed to pick up a few things and would have like to drive home with a couple of vehicles. 

I liked this pickup which had a nice interior, was set up for trailering with dual tanks and a nice body...

There was that obvious ouch on the front fender but you just don't see them that clean up home.

386840402_IMG_4391-Copy.thumb.JPG.c431b72b53f75b309e7a187792eb94e2.JPG

Then out in the swap meet area I came across this.

1965574357_IMG_4404-Copy.thumb.JPG.bd14f0cedfb57e070ef7c5f0434f4613.JPG

I saw in my mind the truck pulling this home and thought it might look good behind the Special but... I knew it would be a very lonely 17 hour drive home on I-75!! LOL

The trailer was stripped right down and the floor was great making it a blank sheet to design a ie interior but walked away with the dream...

A lot of the vendors were starting to pack up so got a few last minute deals that would fit in the carry on so nothing exciting but the conversations were good, the sun was shining (82 degrees) and the air worked great on our hosts Buick.

1299956675_IMG_4277-Copy.thumb.JPG.923f2028b0d6c7d5b9f06afb05efed65.JPG

I will say to those of you that live in this paradise that I totally get what it means to be there!

Nothing like standing in the Gulf waters in February or driving in the towns and seeing old cars being driven around!

Next time I will make sure to get to the Car Show Event at the beginning instead of at the end.

Now, back to the Special.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, dei said:

With having quite a bumpy ride once in the air we saw some sun on the approach to Tampa and saw this cloud formation. I thought it looked like a LaSalle or Cadillac hood ornament and took it as a good omen for the rest of the vacation.

1139306024_IMG_4275-Copy.thumb.JPG.d1ae70f31f3015401c5a15addc456131.JPG

The Captain set her down really smoothly and our host was there to pick us up right on time.

Great feeling to get rid of our coats and step out into the 65 degree sunny day!

That cloud formation looks like a rabbit 🐇 running faster than the plane but I know you have only automobiles on your head! Welcome to Warm & 😎 FL. Remember if you still make it to Miami, I still will honor the Cuban meal invitation.

• Thanks 1