dei

ME & MY === 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick and……..

WOULD BE A GOOD CALL BY YOUR WIFE Cardinal!

It was exactly my sentiments when I saw it! :angry:

This wall runs 75 ft across my back yard. A few years ago went to the City to explore buying what is shown on their Development Plan as an 'Alley'. Back then, it was possible to petition for an 'Alley Closure'. This would would allow you and the neighbour directly behind you to either; buy evenly the alley directly behind you or depending if they did not want their half, purchase the whole thing and move your fence to their existing lot line for the cost of $1.00 plus the registering land deed legal fees.

Not So in this case! 

This so called "Alley" is nothing more than a ditch which has an 8" culvert in the bottom which "was" a major drain ditch for this area before street sewers and sanitary sewers were finally put in back in the late 90's. (been here since 83)

I offered to put in 24 inch culverts the whole 75 ft and back fill over them to clean things up, my cost, but NOOO! 

Instead of offering me any solutions or help, one City official warned me that I'd better take care of this wall as once it collapsed into the ditch it would be my responsibility to pay for any costs incurred by the City to clean it up in order to prevent flooding in the neighbourhood ......

Please Mr Merry-go-round Operator, can I get off now?? :o

Since it is a water control ditch you're better off without it. If you owned it then the city would want you to maintain it.  Why not just take the wall down and be done with it?

I hear your pain

I am re doing drains and walls on my own house here in Australia. Rain is a problem here. Jan 26 th last year we had 875mm (35 inches)rain in 24 hours! You soon find out where the water goes. With winter stay inside and do the CAR! The day you die the inbox and in tray will still be full. No one ever says on there death bed " i wish I had spent another day at the office..."

Cheers

Andrew

• Like 1

Since it is a water control ditch you're better off without it. If you owned it then the city would want you to maintain it.  Why not just take the wall down and be done with it?

Good point John regard the maintenance issue.

Have an appointment with a contractor today and see just what he will suggest or is able to do.  :unsure:

I hear your pain

I am re doing drains and walls on my own house here in Australia. Rain is a problem here. Jan 26 th last year we had 875mm (35 inches)rain in 24 hours! You soon find out where the water goes. With winter stay inside and do the CAR! The day you die the inbox and in tray will still be full. No one ever says on there death bed " i wish I had spent another day at the office..."

Cheers

Andrew

WOW Andrew, that's indeed a lot of rain!! 

With the business phone coming alive this past week have more to do for awhile yet (a good thing) but there will be down time so indeed will be inside getting back to the car at some point!  :D

Your statement about the inbox I have printed out and hung it over my desk and in the garage with the cars for inspiration. Thanks! 

Well, one contractor down, one to talk to yet.....

Not catching any breaks right now......

I'm now adorning 9 staples in my scalp due to an altercation with a shed having a low overhang clad in aluminium poorly done ......

Good grief Dei!  Take it easy on yourself man.  You're the only one who can give yourself a break!  Maybe go to Vegas for a weekend..

• Like 1

John,

Freak thing for sure. With all that's been going on I feel like that cartoon guy (think old time print) that walked around with this rain cloud over him all the time......

I'm thinking about your advice on a vacation, one more like stepping back and just getting things together where I can.

Should it be quiet for a bit, you'll know why.

Thanks for following along.

• Like 1

So, I can't stay away from here very long, so it seems.

Taking some good advise guys, I took a short vacation  :D with good results for a change and thought I'd share.

A fellow car collector/friend and I drove two hours up to London Ontario to meet with a group of 60 car like minded people of all walks of life to see the fantastic collection of Cadillacs and property owned by Steve Plunket.

This started at 12 noon and lasted till 4:30 in his Fleetwood Auto Salon building he designed and built in the fashion of the 30's Salon's built back in the day to showcase the various high end car lines! INCREDIBLE is only one word to describe this accomplishment!  :)

I know this is the 'Me and My Buick' thread so will connect this for you.

See, I met Steve at the Eyes on Design Show two years ago when I knew he was showing his freshly restored 1958 Buick Caballero Wagon I posted pictures of earlier. While only a short visit due to the many people around his car we did talk about my Buick's briefly. He stated that he also had a 1958 Buick Special convertible and would like to see mine someday.

Yesterday was the opportunity to show him pictures at least of my car and this event went so well that he asked if we all would like to see his other Cadillac, Pontiac and BUICK BARNS! Off we went on this 101 acre property!!!!

The one statement he made about his Special was that it was "just a driver".  You be the Judge.

post-80315-0-75770600-1445791681_thumb.j

And naturally, what is sitting next to the Special?

post-80315-0-83582800-1445791930_thumb.j

Sorry for the poor quality pics. Hard to tell but there are 15 or so individual doors on this Buick barn with 50's 60's and 70's Buicks in this one barn that we saw. Behind the wall in front of the cars we did not go in and imagine it holds another 30 or so "project cars"......

Not sure my Special will be his "driver quality car" but will be proud to have it next summer at his fund raiser show which he had a record 5,500 show cars attend if I can make it. 

post-80315-0-70667100-1445792872_thumb.j

I could go on about the Pontiac barn and his huge other Cadillac barn but will keep it Buick for now.

Needless to say, GREAT DAY! (for a change  :rolleyes:)  

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Doug,

Glad to hear you had a chance to visit Steve's collection. It is amazing!

I have never been to the big, annual show but I've been to a Thursday night "cruise-in". If the weather is good, there will be more than 200 vehicles!

Joe

Joe,

I take it you must have spent time shooting pics of his Caballero too!

A very engaging individual! With 68 Cadillacs covering many years, hosting 10 years of car based fund raisers he has great stories from collecting the individual car, the history prior to his ownership, knows the unique individual details that really make them special colloctor cars and at anytime, open to any and all types of questions.

I can't come anywhere close to run with his pack but at no time did I ever feel there was an effort to remind me of that. I have had more than a few customers that would go out of their way to remind you of your place once I passed their OK to be of service and what I saw from Steve, was not that case one bit.

As to the car show, he stated that he has said for the last few years that it was the last one as it is a lot of work to be successfull. Figures he will know for sure by this November if it is a go or not for 2016.

Guess patience is the word for the day to get in and early! It is so popular that it is about 1 1/2 hrs just to get in the gates to park your car.......

It would however be quite the experience. Just have to prepare my wife what to expect (or not?).

A bucket listing for sure!

Had my head hardware removed Tuesday and have to report this;

Went to my doctor who showed me the tool for staple removal. His comment before proceeding was, "There are two of these. This one and a more expensive one". OK..... :unsure:  

After fiddling around a bit the first staple came out fine. Then he fiddles some more and... not tooo bad but has taken out two at a time. About the sixth one he says, " They are really close together and might have to take out three this time".  OUCH!  :(

Time for you to get the expensive pair Doc!

I'll take having them put in any time over this..... Bet if the nurse had done this it would have been better. Sheesh!

Meantime,

Had a day or two due to weather (rain from hurricane Patricia - even up here) and looked at some old pictures of the Special. 

I think I mentioned I have the same license plate on the car since I bought it and came across a shot of her that verifies this.

post-80315-0-54117400-1446256566_thumb.j

It was one of two car events I participated in the car that year (1973). If you look closely at the black car right behind her you will see it is my now 1951 Nash Canadian Statesman. At that time Dad owned it and I actually learned how to drive a stick shift on the column in it. Sure thought I had the world by the pants!

Hard to believe it was 42 years ago...... but great memories! :D

Doug

next time tell them to let you borrow the tool.  Numb with some ice first and there will be no pain.  Why didn't they do that?...it takes time and time is $$$$$.

Willie

• Like 2

Doug

next time tell them to let you borrow the tool.  Numb with some ice first and there will be no pain.  Why didn't they do that?...it takes time and time is $$$$$.

Willie

You are so right Willie!

Even though we have different health care systems it still all boils down to bucks!

Here's the thing, hopefully there WON'T BE A NEXT TIME! :D  LOL 

• Like 1

Time does fly, as I've had my '56 since 1976. Those were the days when people thought I was nuts for wanting an old car. Once when I was trying to buy parts for my first '56 Buick, a guy told me flat out, "All those old cars should be in a F.....g junkyard" Sheeesh!

I have a good friend that is into those early 50's Nash's. One does not see or hear about them often. What happened to that car?

Keith

Hey Keith,

(Time does fly, as I've had my '56 since 1976. Those were the days when people thought I was nuts for wanting an old car.)

Sweet that you are in this club too!  :) 

My Limited was just an old car when in High school and the "in crowd" thought I was way out there driving it!

At least the convert was red! That helped some.....

post-80315-0-09895600-1446602722_thumb.j

Never regretted keeping them all these years, especially going to my 10 year reunion and parking the Special on the front lawn at my old High School!  :D 

Had an interesting conversation with my son this evening, seems while he was at my Dad's last week they talked cars. Dad doesn't want me to know about it but has told my son that he is willing to fund the rebuild of my Limited motor! 

Suddenly I have to clean up the garage at home and get the motor on a clean bench so some progress can be made (without me knowing?). OK, slow down, priorities are in play but..... what an offer!  ;)

You have to appreciate youth and excitement! 

Doesn't mean things will stop on the Special but... would be a dream if the Limited made it to the wedding too???

• Like 1

Regarding our Super, back in 1976 or so, with one son and one on the way, my father said , if you're gonna have that thing, put $1,500  into it and drive it ( for a daily car).  I told him he just didn't understand!   

He's also the one who, in earlier years, made me give away the 60 MGA, which I got for free and which ran for my friend for a decade after electrical repairs, and also made me sell the 57 Special convertible for $100,  which had 55K, and I got for $30.00.   He also objected to the Ford Econoline van I picked up for free and finally gave up when I brought home the $200 64 Corvair convertible, that my brother and nephew still have.

Dads!  You just gotta love em!!!

• Like 1

Regarding our Super, back in 1976 or so, with one son and one on the way, my father said , if you're gonna have that thing, put $1,500  into it and drive it ( for a daily car).  I told him he just didn't understand!   

He's also the one who, in earlier years, made me give away the 60 MGA, which I got for free and which ran for my friend for a decade after electrical repairs, and also made me sell the 57 Special convertible for $100,  which had 55K, and I got for $30.00.   He also objected to the Ford Econoline van I picked up for free and finally gave up when I brought home the $200 64 Corvair convertible, that my brother and nephew still have.

Dads!  You just gotta love em!!!

You are so right John!

I have to admire mine, he always said, "If I still had my 1st car (one 1926 Model T) just think what it would be worth?"

The worth in my cars isn't the actual value (since I never sell anything) but it's the years of memories and sometimes shock on peoples faces when I tell them I've had them since High School. :D

Some of us do this but not many!  :rolleyes:

(since I never sell anything)

I tell people that I do this for love, not money!

My Dad (and Mom) told me that collecting cars "aren't for the likes of us" and "that's only something for the rich". They were still stuck in the old English Class System, Them and Us. My Dad more so, than Mom, but though she was born in Wales, and my Dad was first gen Canadian, she lived for some time in England before coming to Canada. Why she was much more democratic was from her upbringing, my Grandfather was one of the early labour activists in England and Wales. He was a real Welsh coal miner, sent down at 10-11 years of age to dig coal. Can't blame him wanting to change that system.

Sorry to get this off of track, but of course our parents were only trying to do what they thought was right. Right for them, but perhaps not as right for us.

Keith

We have been having exceptionally nice weather here this month and the phone has been ringing so work is keeping me busy! :)

The down side is not having the time to keep at the Special but know down time is coming. :unsure:

Last Sunday it was a balmy 62 degrees and with the leaves just about all down needed to get up on the roofs and clear the eaves troughs. Decided to air out the garage by opening the big door and my side doors. All along I have been firing up the car to help keep the battery up but also ensure things are still operating properly.

Decided last minute to fire her up again before climbing my ladders and man, it seems to run better with every startup! :D What a relief after finding the motor stuck last winter!

Sat there behind the wheel while she warmed up, watching the gauges, looking out the opened garage door and had a moment of being "on the road again".  B)

post-80315-0-51847400-1447945028_thumb.j

• Like 1

WHAT A DIFFERENCE ONE WEEK MAKES! :o

The official end of the car season is when my son asks if I will help with putting away his 1991 Mustang for the winter (COD - Call On Dad  :rolleyes: ).

This is about a 35 minute drive out in the country and has served us well over the years being clean, dry and with reasonable rates.

post-80315-0-83966400-1448128007_thumb.j

As you can see we should have done this last weekend but....

With the ground still warm this won't last long.

post-80315-0-34666400-1448128324_thumb.j post-80315-0-64884200-1448128202_thumb.j

Guess we are not the only ones waiting till the last minute as usually it is filled up by now.

Will see if I can steal an hour or two tomorrow to get back at the Special before the 'General' side tracts me with something....