dei

ME & MY === 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick and……..

It's Sunday December 23, 2018 and work on the Buick's is confined to dreaming and putting together a wish list for next year but that is OK as there are two shopping days left yet!! 

My wife has things well in hand for the Big Day with our small family but surprisingly I like the hustle and bustle of last minute shopping... 😊 It helps get me into the mood.

Meantime, our soon to be 18 year old cat is taking it all in stride.

1571152937_Tiger-Xmas2018.thumb.JPG.50105890eeddf659231662f650c1c73c.JPG

May you all have a Peaceful and Joyous Holidays! 🎅

Doug

• Like 7

On this 1st day of 2019 I have spent a few hours this morning reviewing the past year and looked at my accomplishments with regard to the Special.

With having started my thread almost 6 years ago, this past year has been the most concentrated and gratifying on the Special than the 5 years previous. I attribute my efforts not only to my desire to resurrect my car memories but want to THANK the Forums Group for their support, help and encouragement when things went south to my plans.

Boy was I naive to think I would make it to Brookfield, Min that year!!

A true testament to cars sitting even though not running and expecting to fire up and be dependable. Lesson learned!

I don't usually participate in New Years Resolutions but will say that once I have the water pump installed the Special should be ready to have a good season short of regular maintenance (I hope). 

I will be focusing on the Limited this year and with the work involved just to get her back together enough to run, will not likely be fully on the road but one has to start somewhere right?

Realistically, pouring enough money at her might get both cars to Ohio in 2020 but a winning ticket would go a long ways to have that happen... (not much of a gambler).

Wishing a successful & healthy 2019 for everyone!

• Like 5

Never give up! Keep fighting,That’s what they teach me.... we are going home tonight...

Hey AACA Winter Nationals in Miami? 

Why not

• Like 2

On 12/20/2018 at 3:43 PM, dei said:

I remember you posting about this John.

Can you tell me where you bought it? 

518158114_Antifreezefilter004.jpg.ffdc363db841780d3d0f385371819030.jpg

You can also insert a length of women's nylon's (not fishnet) for a free, invisible and very effective filter.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

While waiting for a parts order decided today to get out of the house (you guys know what I mean...) to get back to the parts car dismantling. 

Fortunately the temps were hovering about 40 with sunshine and with being behind the garage and some sun, not too bad and made some progress.

IMG_4172.thumb.JPG.63dc7e53869e527a0aef33c0793801b8.JPG

IMG_4170.thumb.JPG.49e647ea8308e1e57f1ef87ad5384f95.JPG

I'm curious to know why there is some what appears to be remnants of sound material on the inside of the quarter...

IMG_4168.thumb.JPG.2e0cf5f30eff76e3e69896c4037dfc55.JPG

I want to save the master cylinder also and man, that nut holding the body onto the firewall is stuck big time! I sprayed it with lots of PB Blaster and going to get a big open end wrench tomorrow to see if I can budge it. The dash is completely out but without the proper tool just isn't moving yet.

I then got a call from my friend saying he was out for a drive and wondered what I was up to so told him to come on by as I needed to pick up my tools.

His timing was good as I had just finished when he drove in.

IMG_4173.thumb.JPG.b8ae682bd2e1c036be89dea315785556.JPG

Another friend was with him for the ride and they both wanted to see what I was up to.

Went inside for a short visit with my wife and soon needed to head back for their dinners. 

It was a good way to burn off some steam and a nice diversion.

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 4

That's a nice looking Mercury -- I presume it's a Canada only model.  I don't recall seeing any like it growing up.

10 hours ago, EmTee said:

That's a nice looking Mercury -- I presume it's a Canada only model.  I don't recall seeing any like it growing up.

Yes sir it is is a Canadian only car. I have attended the Ford Employee Only Car Show with Joe and this car a few times held in Dearborn Michigan where it gathers quite the crowd while on display.

Joe has had his 1960 Monarch for a long time. It was a car either his Dad or grandfather bought new and was passed down to him. It has been repainted back in 1990 but has it's original factory interior.

IMG_3738.thumb.JPG.97ce6b72ad6ec1caddbf825ee1bf7b78.JPG

We have been friends for going on 25 years now and I have been fortunate enough to drive this car. He has a small fleet of antique cars which include two more 1959 Monarch's. He doesn't have anymore room in his garage (currently 8 😎) for another car so doesn't have a Buick but did manage at least one GM vehicle, a 1956 Cadillac two door that originated from around here with known history.

There is a group of us that attend many car shows together and never know what Joe will decide to drive. I hope to have that option again one day.

11156548_BothwellCarShow2005-pic4.thumb.JPG.582d6070437cd5e9099bf2fbede81d43.JPG

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Poking along with the dismantling...

I went and bought a big wrench today to get at that stubborn nut on the master cylinder brake housing.

Took a chisel at the nut for a bit with no success and sprayed all around it again. After several attempts slipping off due to a bad angle FINALLY GOT IT LOOSE!

IMG_4177.thumb.JPG.a8bb63d6bcd5d272228584ab9742b599.JPG

EVEN AFTER TAKING OUT ALL THE BOLTS FOR THE OUTSIDE FIREWALL HOUSING IT STILL RESISTED BREAKING LOOSE but I finally won the fight!

IMG_4179.thumb.JPG.a8601dbf21ab498ee8c121203f6772dc.JPG

I had to bend that bracket (hanging at the nut) straight back to get enough bite with the wrench but that is OK. All my cars have complete systems on them and this unit will be a core for rebuilt and the brackets hopefully won't be in the way as the other cars have never been out and exposed like this one has.

IMG_4180.thumb.JPG.21939640f42d8d5b20d33caf21856313.JPG

Next I will be taking out the rear quarter window glass, power motor and tracks after some more soaking with the Blaster.

IMG_4171.thumb.JPG.f1272d7d2605d714af14eb56163ee137.JPG

So it continues....

• Like 3

That's quite a mess of leaves and relocated seat stuffing in your old 58.  Have you been photographing the disassembly for future posterity? 

I've been told that when a car is disassembled it can take three garage stalls to hold all the loose parts.  I've stripped my car and one chassis in a two car garage and can confirm the space required.  I spent a couple hours last night just cataloging parts that I have already bagged and labeled so I can find stuff later when needed.  What a chore!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

That's mostly the reason (or my excuse...) for leaving her together all these years, never enough space!

Saving the shed and putting it beside the garage will help for that. My wife doesn't understand as she thinks "everything car part wise" is just JUNK. 😕🤐

The shelves and cabinets are just about full now.

IMG_2361.thumb.JPG.bff86c4eb57427fee0eb54d6d41b8ffb.JPG

I'm labelling things as I go which is also tedious but is a necessary part of the process. 

I find a tire marker is handy for the big stuff and hope it helps my boys when the time comes.

Yes I have a flash drive full of pictures to assist getting things back together on the good Limited.

Even with having my hands on all my '58's most of my life I still need them to get things right...

When all is said and done with this hobby I have said to my wife, "At least you know where I am and it keeps me out of the bars!"

I'm watching your progress and know you get what it is all about (as do others taking this journey). 

• Like 2

It is a comfort to me knowing I have a supply of certain extra parts.  However I look at some of my stuff now and question it's value.  If it hasn't broken in 63 years, what is the potential it will break now?  And if it does have potential to break, what is the possibility I can get new parts to replace the broken ones?  

Things like trim and bumpers and one off pieces are worth having around,  but how many does one really need?  I have a set of window regulators from one '69 Electra.  The motor could be used on various regulators or made to work on various regulators,  but I have never had to pull one of the regulators I kept yet, and so I do not feel bad about the 3 other sets I let go.  I also have more than one set of headlight trim for the said 69 Electra, which I no longer have and most likely will not replace.  Just cores which couldn't be sold for much $$$ and are prolific in the country anyways.  Why did I keep so many? 

When I think of the stuff my siblings and I trashed from our parents place I am reminded that survivors have their own set of priorities.  Even labeled stuff will be trashed by survivors, so my personal mantra is keep a minimum of stuff around for the "just in case" scenario.   Even with that, I do recognize the need to organize, and get what I've kept,  in some sort of order so that it will be easier for my survivors to know what goes with which car.  This may be a good summer for that, God willing! 

• Like 1

I understand what you are saying John.  Thanks for your thoughts.

This winter is somewhat of a cross roads for me on many levels and questions come to mind like you are stating.

Regarding the cars, there are many parts that are shared between my three models so yes, saving model specific trim is a must allowing me to pick the best to put on that car.

Labelling them now is mostly for the boys who are not familiar with them like I am. As you say "God forbid" I'm gone, I know my wife will have stuff carried out and junked so it will fall to the boys unless I hear they are totally not interested, then...  

My youngest son said to me one day last fall that I should get moving on the Limited and enjoy "both" cars.

It hit me that I had said something very similar to my Dad regarding his beloved Whippet.

It was what turned out to be a 28 year novice restoration only I pointed out how would he feel if he lost his license at age 80 and didn't get to enjoy driving his car?

That made the difference for him and now listening to my own advice coming from my son. 

It isn't just about the memories going through my mind while taking the car apart but thinking about what "new memories" we can make using what I have putting things to the best use. 

Both cars at the National in 2020? Hmmm... 

That would be a huge one for me but...  I'm more motivated by dead lines now than ever and well, will see.

Another thought in the back of my mind is the fact the owner of this Limited that Dad bought it from, is still living and it would be such a joy to call him one day and ask if he would like to go for a ride in what essentially is identical to his "old car".

To be cont'd.

What’s going on here.. you guys all thinking of after life? Got to confess I dream that it was my time last night, more like a nightmare. Have you guys thought of buying about 6 cementery lots and get permits to bury you in a casket inside your Buick ? You can fit a lot of extra parts in there too, and survivors can easily just dump the seats or sell them on 👿 Bay.

Mr Joe Black meets Tutankhamen 

• Haha 1

Not dwelling on it but...

There are a lot of irons in my fire pit lately and looking ahead I need to get focused and not sit idly by. Changes are in the winds for me personally and as was pointed out at the last funeral this season, most of us are just too busy living to prepare for the inevitable.

Dwelling on it? No, but needs to be included in my equation.  

Meantime moving ahead and keeping at it! 

Come on Spring!!

In Florida. All those extra iron makes a nice artificial reef!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Elpad said:

In Florida. All those extra iron makes a nice artificial reef!

LOL!

Heading down Tampa way in February. Will check out that possibility.:D

Make it all the way to Miami and I will treat you to some fine Cuban cuisine 

• Thanks 1

Not sure there will be time for a trip to Miami Elpad but maybe another time I can take you up on your generous offer! 🙂

If anyone following knows of car events even cruise-in's in or around Tampa between Feb 9 - 20th Let me know as my car craving will have to be met. I did a bit of searching on the net but nothing jumped out (or not looking in the right spot).

Christmas came again for me!  😁

I received all the new parts to be able to put the Special back together again.

IMG_4184.thumb.JPG.b05eec8b78b0c0dac64beff7812ab432.JPG

Then.....

Two of my car buddies came over this afternoon as requested (dressed for this COLD) to help move the shed halves I wanted to put beside the garage.

I had spent most of this week clearing out stuff to make room and with the rear quarter cut off the Limited figured there to be enough room without anyone getting hurt.

IMG_4181.thumb.JPG.4473a0ada6922c206350e2d83b12e63a.JPG

With three of us things went fairly well and they are now in place end to end.

IMG_4187.thumb.JPG.143bc97fdc7745b61d4ca1a5b7af5dc0.JPG

They will require some securing at the wall and along the floor and "YES DEAR", they will be painted up come warmer weather... 😍

Each section is 14 feet long and 5' 5" wide which will work nicely for the saved Limited parts and assist with cleaning out the garage too making it easier to get on with the good Limited.

My neighbour is good with this and in fact had told me before building the new house that he is planning to take down this existing fence and build a higher privacy one with 6X6 posts. He is German and believes in building things STRONG to outlive him. 🙂 

Heading out to dinner with these guys to celebrate tonight and will continue securing them tomorrow, 25 degrees or NOT! 🤗

Another great day today even if it was cold.

Having asked for help yesterday I returned the favour for Deryl who owns two Riviera's.

He wants to pull the motor and transmission in his Gold one to reseal them and check the motor over while it is out. 

I posted it earlier last fall when he came by for a visit but after helping him remove the hood (a two man job) I just had to shoot a picture of the factory stock two four barrel carb setup.

IMG_4188.thumb.JPG.bb092cb812ce718a0e0655f432b3eb4f.JPG

IMG_4189.thumb.JPG.99980ce61b77e6c5e597178fad6123b7.JPG

He has both cars side by side in his garage but will be moving this one into his new 12 X 20 portable garage temporarily to do the work with more room around the gold car.

IMG_4190.thumb.JPG.dd66266a481086f30f107ed178265834.JPG

The hood pulling didn't take too long putting it inside his basement for protection and after showing me some of his NOS parts, headed home to work on securing my shed in it's place. With the sun out today it looked nice but seriously cold working without cloves holding screws...

More to do yet but it's going to work as I expected it would.

• Like 4

Just came across pictures my brother-in-law scanned from my parents slides and while not a good shot, shows my now parts car limited behind Dad's '28 Whippet project right after he bought it in 1968.

Ives-Slides_957.thumb.jpg.fc6f3feb23457bcf7b0f00b10166a9dc.jpg

When I put the time frame together Dad was driving the Limited back and forth to work 60 miles each way then. It was two years after this shot when the universal broke that he purchased a 1959 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight to replace her and offered to give me the Limited if I helped him take the torque tube assembly out putting in a new u joint and put it back together resulting in my first car.

At 16 having that somewhat know it all attitude sure helped bring us closer together and gained his like (disease?) of old cars!

His then carport was tight with two big cars in it but by June of that year I was fully licensed and 120 dollars poorer for one ball joint, alignment and muffler and tail pipe (one side only of the dual exhaust system) But... had my freedom! (at least till the gas tank was near empty... LOL)

1981520876_1958BuickLimited-inforujointrepair-Copy.thumb.jpg.3f447713b4655033f17531dd2e593e60.jpg

I guess you can see why the other Limited needs to get on the road again!

• Like 2

Hello Doug;  I, too, was 16 years old in 1968.  However my dad had no interest in autos, our family car was a VW he bought new, his first new car, followed by a Maverick in 1970.  Do you know where the Whippet came from, a fellow club member maybe?

BTW, Dad built a new house soon after the Maverick came and it became a truck, once he hauled a 45 gal drum of water in the trunk for the brick layer.

Regards, Gary 

• Like 1

Minor point here Gary but for the record I was 16 in 1971 when I got the Limited. Really too long ago to be of any significance. 😁

As to the Whippet, Dad bought it from a fellow HVSO member Ken Hunter as you see in this picture.

1743928848_1928Whippet-dayofPurchase.thumb.jpg.4bd5c1518ad197dbd07673d77434fee5.jpg

That is Number 3 Hwy beyond the Model A in the middle of the Village of Cottam, Ontario.

The story goes that it changed hands a few times between members before coming to Dad's attention. With each preceding owner work was done and parts gathered to get it at this point in the picture.

Not sure who had started the restoration / resurrection but it was passed down that the car was found sitting in the sand abandoned during WW2 on the North Shore of Lake Erie. It had been there so long that half the wheels wood was gone, body wood was all but gone beyond good for even patterns, upholstery was gone, instruments smashed and the motor was rusted / seized. I knew that one of the Club members supplied the motor that is in it today and a serial number check shows it to be from 1927. Willys used this same block for a few years so outwardly you can't tell any difference. Dad didn't actually hear it running when he bought it but took Ken's word that it would run and once he put a better carb on it he indeed got her to run. 

The time span was 28 years for Dad to actually get behind the wheel on the road and was one of his greatest accomplishments car wise! 

Of interest to you Gary would be those wheels. He stripped them all using some broken glass to get rid of the paint taking each wheel apart, sanding each spoke and I talked him into finishing them natural. 

When he found some green paint on the inside of the hood after he cleaned it up I also convinced him to go with the green body and get rid of the red fellows and hubs. He always said he didn't like green but... when it started to come together he was very happy with the results.

1729846610_YpsilantiOrphanCarShow2011-pic1.thumb.JPG.997c786007425bf833103d3309069120.JPG

There are parts on her from the East Coast, West Coast (both US and Canada) and as far south as Florida. That purchase was an NOS gas tank in the original Willys Overland Whippet shipping box!

I know this thread is about Buick's but the car is such a part of my life and well, you asked... THANKS! 😂

• Like 1

On with the Limited...

I managed to secure the front portion of the shed today and decided to start and clear the stuff (parts for the good Limited) sitting on the frame and around her. 

These are but a few so right now will be keeping the good parts in this section.

IMG_4192.thumb.JPG.d036a372f72f8d4a69bc82e82ac7607b.JPG

There will be more as time goes on but separating things as to this car will help moving forward and give me the needed room to work.

IMG_4191.thumb.JPG.2dd1cd0a0dbc69e78fa0d9c3959c7125.JPG

To be cont'd...