ME & MY === 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick and……..

dei

Between working, preparing the garage at home, pushing to get a firm quote from the builder and a start date, have been spending evenings cleaning & marking parts.

The rear bumper end came out quite well.

IMG_7502.thumb.JPG.39b4d4f34627544f5c50239702c31b46.JPG

Then I came across these.

IMG_7506.thumb.JPG.f2dd9080c56790dc702aa62135b9fdda.JPG

As I polished I realised they were a pair of NOS I've forgotten where I bought them...

IMG_7505.thumb.JPG.46d7ee8865ec2de6320cde3272e8cf39.JPG

Both came out great also.

IMG_7507.thumb.JPG.dbfd66ce42795062db99f07c4549fa6c.JPG

Yes that is the dash top for the Special I'm moving along with slowly.

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 1

A few more shiny items.

IMG_7509.thumb.JPG.ee635d313f739221db7bccd57faad6ff.JPG

IMG_7510.thumb.JPG.eec6ee420deaa7673a2b2e2bb9872968.JPG

I do recall buying these tail lights the same time I bought the rear bumper in the Auto Wrecking Yard in Phoenix. Clearly the car was a desert car, not from around here with the salt we use. They are for the Roadmaster.

IMG_7501.thumb.JPG.95f34ebd6c81fd924dda8353d36905f4.JPG

IMG_7512.thumb.JPG.9579acdda1562a2d7eb9f2dec442e7b5.JPG

At least my wife knows where I am these evenings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, lancemb said:

Wow, what a treasure trove!

You must remember that once I had the Special too at 17 years old and growing up with Dad and his antique cars plus hearing him saying when he heard what model T's were getting that he should have kept his Model T (his first car), I decided to buy things (what I could afford) for both the Limited and the Special, once I realised the differences between the models.

The only sad part is I have buried things for so long here and there that I have forgotten exactly what I have till now!!

The bright side is that it indeed is like a treasure hunt digging things up 😁 so makes me want to get the Limited together as was the plan and enjoy her before it's too late.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With the last rain fall and water in the garage under the Special I have made arrangements for temporary storage and have been busy cleaning up (and throwing out non Buick stuff).

Decided to put big items like the collection of fenders in first as they will be the last thing needed for the Limited especially.

IMG_7527.thumb.JPG.31de29853d5fd6903052ef19d8ac9a2c.JPG

That was fun as being stored at the back of my carport for years I found two possum carcasses on the ground. Man those things are ugly!

While driving into the yard with the sea can unit I look next door and see this:

IMG_7521.thumb.JPG.10be0cba27b4e94c569be9d82e589a08.JPG

IMG_7522.thumb.JPG.4ec83bd29f76a56620c576c09a286cd1.JPG

Yes it is a restoration shop which seems to be doing award winning work which unfortunately I can't afford... Wish I could and have the Limited totally done up!

Meantime, going ahead with moving things into the can.

IMG_7532.thumb.JPG.10a17e7e22241ec8de0c85c74829b145.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 95Cardinal said:

Doug,

You're on a roll, buddy! Great progress!

Thanks Joe.

Coming from you and being around your Caballero while in progress means a lot to me.

Now, if we ever get the Border opened up again I'd love to get over, see what you've done with the Cadillac (maybe get a ride?) check out what's going on with your other projects and pick up the motor you so kindly have waiting for me....

If I had it here I know it would be bolted up to a transmission that's waiting to be installed too. 

There is much to do before driving down the road but each step brings me closer to that day.

9 hours ago, 95Cardinal said:

Doug, 

Going back toan older post, I think that bike might be a Raleigh.

Joe

IMG_7380.thumb.JPG.4b610059e9ca1ec77ffa0d36b7b18e65.JPG

The Crest on the handle bar post reads Royal Scot (Made in England).

I have not dug too deep into it but figure it's 50/60 ish as it was my father-in-law's. It is also cleaning up nicely and will be nice sitting along side either the Limited or the Special while at a show. 

IMG_7403.thumb.JPG.2b8b7e9e758f7e9d740d0693642df7e0.JPG

I have a 2 inch trailer reciever on the Special now that will take a bike rack and think the trunk of the Limited is big enough to put the bike inside and close it as I used to take the spare tire out and put three of my buddies inside to beat the cost of getting into the Leamington Fair back in the day. LOL

Not sure where the time is going, yet...

Have made a few trips to the storage bin and unearthing more chrome, trim and panels. Bought more heavy big containers to put model specific parts in making a list of what is inside which will make things easier to find when I'm ready for them.

I pulled everything out of the trunk of the Limited and was surprised to find a spare gas tank under the cardboard sides and trunk carpet from the Limited parts car. 

IMG_7546.thumb.JPG.b7fc30a27b1649b064aeb0313049608d.JPG

It appears in good condition but with the experience with the Special and her tank will decide which is the best to have cleaned and treated when the time comes.

The trunk cardboard will be good for patterns as they are originals to the car.

The extra side is from the Roadmaster as you can see since there is a difference in the length between the two, the Limited being that much longer in the trunk area.

Great for extra suit cases but trouble for today's parking without taking up two spots on the road.

IMG_7550.thumb.JPG.373c82bb6403e88ae1ad997e4435186a.JPG

An afternoon of pulling things off the shelf has it looking like major chaos but actually enjoying sorting and marking things for the cars.

Anyone need an organ???? It will be unearthed and moved out... after all this is a car garage, for '58 Buick's at that!

IMG_7553.thumb.JPG.59ad86d0d3f05cdedce9714765842dc2.JPG

All too soon I get the call to start the BBQ and prepare for supper. Nothing like steak on the grill!

IMG_7561.thumb.JPG.857021d9ec503e05dd654432719327a6.JPG

Fully satisfied I had to get back at it or the arm chair would be filled for the night.

Since these were separated the big container was perfect and had room for the four hubcaps too.

IMG_7545.thumb.JPG.d8908d9a043141268eb33256e41c8bd8.JPG

IMG_7544.thumb.JPG.6eb474554b883a2fa6c4585d8e59ddf7.JPG

• Like 1

Found the four barrel air cleaner in the trunk and having it out put  some polish and a rag to it but will have to work a bit more on the lid to bring it up. Naturally the rag just slipped over to the flathead for a bit. 

IMG_7564.thumb.JPG.09ae098376d1fde31b1b7ef584a9757c.JPG

At this point the sky is darkening so closed the big door and picked away at more chrome before packing them in the appropriate containers.

IMG_7562.thumb.JPG.2dc1e72e2a284f7777111488fc8055db.JPG

Having had the radio on this whole time I finally caught the DJ saying it was 1:15 AM...

Thought I had better wrap it up as Monday is Labour Day and should enjoy a day of rest.

Wait, Uh no. This isn't work it's play so no rest for the wicked!

IMG_7566.thumb.JPG.7297437e7773359bfaaa81f2a91c8b73.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, dei said:

An afternoon of pulling things off the shelf has it looking like major chaos but actually enjoying sorting and marking things for the cars.

Anyone need an organ???? It will be unearthed and moved out... after all this is a car garage, for '58 Buick's at that!

IMG_7553.thumb.JPG.59ad86d0d3f05cdedce9714765842dc2.JPG

All too soon I get the call to start the BBQ and prepare for supper. Nothing like steak on the grill!

IMG_7561.thumb.JPG.857021d9ec503e05dd654432719327a6.JPG

Fully satisfied I had to get back at it or the arm chair would be filled for the night.

Since these were separated the big container was perfect and had room for the four hubcaps too.

IMG_7545.thumb.JPG.d8908d9a043141268eb33256e41c8bd8.JPG

IMG_7544.thumb.JPG.6eb474554b883a2fa6c4585d8e59ddf7.JPG

For a moment I thought you were going to cook on the 58 grille!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

That really is quite the stash Doug!  You have been busy accumulating parts over the years!  

It's really sinking in John just what I do have being forced with a move and all.

Having taken the front ends off both the Limited and the Roadmaster, then collecting better quality replacement parts figuring to put them on, makes it seem like an endless "stash" as you say.

Then there is (was) the original Limited aka parts car dismantling...

It's going to be a short fall to accomplish what I need to do property wise but a long winter to work on the Limited.

• Like 3

Just go back from the mechanics garage where I rigged up a small gas can to the fuel pump in order to get the Nash running. SUCCESS!! 😃

After letting her warm up I was able to carefully drive it around in the back.

IMG_7597.thumb.JPG.0ef2dc09e49422069696f2ae841adbd0.JPG

Here is the motor running with the small can secured. (not sure what the clicking is but it's not the engine...)

It was in good company back there with this Mercury. The owner came by to pick it up after a new starter was put on the original 292 engine.

IMG_7595.thumb.JPG.769675f38e778a5bde00ae976d734bef.JPG

So sharp at 7:30 tomorrow morning going to put the Nash up in the air and hopefully replace a line to get the standard brakes in working order.

IMG_7598.thumb.JPG.995ede6ca4aa5fa27b16b304a4a2e77b.JPG

• Like 2

The Nash work had success and failures yesterday.

Did not find any broken brake lines but did find the master cylinder almost empty. It took a lot of bleeding to finally get good pedal and the brakes held while testing around the shop/yard. 

However...

There is something seriously wrong in the drive line...

Took a chance driving it the five blocks home and man what a racket!!

IMG_7601.thumb.JPG.add2bb592bf717bc9f565cf6784d8fd6.JPG

With the enclosed driveshaft system I'm guessing it's a combination of universal joint and worse, the ring and pinion.

She has just 100,000 documented miles (but never winter driven since new) so expect things have reached their life expectancy.

Unfortunately I don't think it will be fixed by me with all I have on my plate. So Sorry Dad.

• Like 1

I did have one bright spot in the day Saturday.

Through contact with 95Cardinal last week I made contact with a new Forums member Buickboy58 who yes, you guessed it, has a 1958 Buick Special only three hours away from me here in Ontario Canada.

He has been looking for a rear end for his car and Joe reached out to him with a spare from one of his Caballero parts cars.

Unfortunately being in Michigan the shipping costs to Canada were horrendously expensive!! Joe contacted me knowing of my collection and sure enough I have what Denis needs.

After a few PM's and a phone call, ROAD TRIP for me!

IMG_7606.thumb.JPG.f99d56b79e7c092c59c1d487be92e6b6.JPG

If I can get those stabilizing bars off I might put it into my truck (with help - I'm not as young as I think I am...) otherwise, load it in my trailer and deliver it Monday morning to the garage so they can free up their lift.

Looking forward to meeting Denis in person and get a look at another '58!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Would not hurt to check rear axle fluid level. Trans fluid level too especially if a manual trans. Can you jack up the rear and spin tires by hand to listen for any possible location of the noise?

Agree with all you suggest John.

We didn't check the diff fluid level or the transmission level either.

While up on the hoist I rotated the rear tires back and forth slowly and with more effort and you could hear the distinct click of the front universal plus substantial slop (and noise) at the diff.

If I had a spare rear end like I do for the Special (till tomorrow) I might be persuaded to drop the whole unit out, pull it apart to determine just what is worn out or put a completed unit back in. Sadly that is not the case so going to explain what I've found to be needed to my potential buyer and go from there knowing full well it will affect the price. 

So be it.

IMG_7603.thumb.JPG.44e65e02a52cd5837de0ee9fe4882090.JPG

• Like 1

With help from my son today we loaded up the rear end to head to Brantford in the morning. Even with the hand cart that thing is a boat anchor for a lake freighter!!! 

Mark asked me why I didn't just put it in the bed of my truck to which I said it would be easier to get into the trailer guaranteeing not to scrape or dent my truck. The trailer can take the beating as you can see!

IMG_7609.thumb.JPG.1b09ab9e882cd8b45346b8fce2a4648b.JPG

With his DeWalt impact gun we were able to get the two nuts off the stablizing arms leaving them here for scrap and was able to get the brake drums off also. I might be able to save them as they don't look to have been turned before. Measuring will determine that for sure.

With the truck gassed up and my Garmin programmed will hit the road before sunup.

Monday September 14th Road Trip.

With fresh coffee and donut I hit the 401 east just after 7 am.

This being the first time out of town since last December didn't know what to expect traffic wise but was somewhat pleased it was this light being Monday and all.

IMG_7616.thumb.JPG.4eac66ee605950a344c9d171e296ff9e.JPG

With the cruise set and three lanes to choose the 2 3/4 hour drive seemed to go quickly enough with no incidents. 

IMG_7617.thumb.JPG.34c585c1f6c37c5f30b9e696b7db1831.JPG

Pulled up to the Shop where Denis's car is waiting for my used unit and was told to pull around to the side door.

IMG_7625.thumb.JPG.10cc111f8d5a26c4ce80145d093e8736.JPG

I was met by the shop manager and a young looking fellow in work overhauls to see what I'd brought them.

While checking it out I asked carefully if they had ever experienced working on an enclosed Buick driveshaft system to which the young fellow said he found the technical manual regarding the R&R plus internal dismantling on line and has had time to read it over. 

With that they asked another young fellow to help take it out of the trailer. 

I'm now feeling really old watching them grab it and walk it into the shop setting it on the floor across from the Special !!!

IMG_7618.thumb.JPG.37531da271971ef5a6038649f18208c6.JPG

Had a chance before Denis and his son showed up to ask what they thought happened and was told when they drained the differential is was full of silver metal grindings in the oil. With it up there they rotated the driver side rear wheel with it in park and the other wheel would not turn at all. It's going to be nasty in there.

IMG_7620.thumb.JPG.4410892f2ec89897ce4ed05047307c05.JPG

Wish my Special looked this good otherwise.

IMG_7623.thumb.JPG.bc6c3d771afbd10088d2b62cd0505ee6.JPG

Hope to encourage Denis to start a thread on his car so will leave him something to post more pictures and his story.

IMG_7624.thumb.JPG.fca21dfafe2eb6c6fbfd52287fae6879.JPG

After some good conversation we settled up and I wished him and his son good luck with the repairs as my unit is of unknown condition.

The trip home had one scary moment when traffic bunched up around London and I was in the fast lane with a big pickup truck riding my backside so turned my signal on to get into the middle lane. At the very last minute I caught movement in my passenger side mirror finding a minivan in my blind spot trying to pass me on the right!

Fortunately a quick movement on my part getting back into the fast lane avoided a disaster but when the van got a chance to pass, the young lady passenger clearly was disembowelling me verbally and emphasised it with a middle finger salute...

Can't deny my part in it but... they were passing me on the right side. 

The next 2 hours were event free and was home in time to cut a customers lawn before heading home for supper.

Looking forward to a progress report on the Special and hope to see my new '58 Buick friend at the next car show I can attend. 

• Like 4

Wow! 

Appreciate posting it Doug.

I see it has new upholstery and headliner and missing the "Canadian Statesman" side scripts and has what looks like added on back up lights but the price "reduced" is what grabs my attention. 

Being in BC it obviously is Canadian dollars which is apples to apples for me. 

Going to print this out and show the guy that is interested in buying mine for comparison.

Hoping to get together this weekend.

Thanks for the posting.

Doug

I looked at some photos in more detail and the side scripts are there. The guy claims original interior and a repaint about 20 years ago.  He also thinks the engine must have been rebuilt at some point given how good it runs.  He doesn’t mention mileage in the ad bit his phone number is there if you want it. 

Good luck with the sale!

• Thanks 1

It seems my luck with the Nash is batting 1,000.

Having brought her to this point and willing to accept an offer as she is, told my son to have his coworker to come and take a really good look at the car this coming weekend and didn't hear back until I pressed again. Seems after hearing (second hand) for over three years this fellow was "so wanting to buy the car" that the story has now changed.

The wife is giving him grief over getting another car. 

NEXT....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lancemb said:

I am not a Nash expert but that sure doesn't look like original upholstery to me.  I'd bet a steak dinner on it, at least.

No expert either but have not seen stitching like that myself all these years. 

Still a very nice looking car and knowing it's in BC can imagine the body is indeed in very good condition. Not the salt used there like we have around here!

It might just be the pictures I'm looking at as I didn't go to the listing. I do appreciate bringing it to my attention Doug.

• Like 1

The juggling act continues with yet another ball in the air as I'm digging into the back of the garage I have to vacate unearthing the Overland in preparation for the eventual move.

Things have been place around, in and on her for quite awhile...

IMG_7648.thumb.JPG.f2aab9df044d82c128d2e981003891ad.JPG

Spent one evening wiping her down and cleaning the nickle radiator shell which came up just fine with my wonder metal polish.

IMG_7649.thumb.JPG.d05cb0e8274a3fb7e40180809529576d.JPG

Will try and pump the tires up again but know it has a broken distributor cap for some reason. 

Those seats have her original leather upholstery albeit well worn.

DSCN0698.thumb.JPG.f7b317ad937fca3301892fa98b7f9587.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Doug;  Thanks for posting the photos of your dad's Overland.  I think it is a wonderful car, I can think of the time you would have tinkering with it, ice cream runs, cruise nights, giving rides to neighbours and enjoying your family's history.  Life is fine at 35 MPH.

Regards, Gary

• Like 1

Thanks Gary.

Yes there are lot's of strong memories associated with the car since it was Dad's first antique. Back in those days the Club was very active and after having the motor rebuilt made every effort to drive her and participate as much as possible.

In 1969 the Club had a Participation Award (along with others) given to the car attending the most events during a year which was then returned the next year to be recognised for the next car (unless you had the most functions again).

1209138833_1920Overland-CarClubTrophy1969-pic1(copy)-Copy.thumb.jpg.5786d0b170a91efae0894d8e5ad85e57.jpg If you notice on the very right the rear corner of a '58 Limited, that is what was to become my first car given to me by Dad two years later.

Dad did small things (other than the motor) to bring it up to his idea what an antique car should be. You know the saying, Your car....

Ives-Slides_523.thumb.jpg.47e986fbca2df930dccf82dfbacf0f75.jpg

Oddly enough I spent the weekend at Mom's house (still lives there at soon to be 93) as she wanted the gardens removed and the dirt spread throughout the yard to help level it for her footing.

IMG_7657.thumb.JPG.c1c57ecef4060d322630e712bc010f37.JPG

Dad loved his gardens having come from a farm background so it was somewhat sad to do this but it was getting too much for Mom and was able to rationalise the decision. But I digress again...

Finally had a meeting with my contractor concerning the addition to the garage and they will be getting back to me with some numbers later. I need to get further along with the back wall so they can see what needs to be done tying both together properly. 

For some reason building lumber is not on the shelves like it used to be around here. Said they have had incomplete orders and told things would be on back order with no time expectancy...

Next. 

• Like 1

Busy week this past one work wise.

With the "Shut Down" in March one of my contracts cancelled any work of any kind till further notice till last week, so put in this week to bring some much needed funds in.

Paperwork is the new flavour of the day, sign for this, fill out for that and be sure you list the Country you are from. Now sign in electronically and once you receive confirmation you are here, you can then begin your work. (The new daily work procedure....)

The original contract was for three cleanings per year and have not been there for a whole year. Consequently the time and effort required are way off and not much car/garage things are being done...

I'd truly rather rather be cleaning my cars up than fighting bees, wasps and spiders that have built condo's.

IMG_7681.thumb.JPG.c3298456f9fdf4ab849d5c70ff6378a4.JPG

I did take one evening and get at the Nash and while not hiding a few things, she is looking better than when I first uncovered her.

With my temporary fuel supply I moved her from one driveway to the other where the Special and supplies are.

IMG_7668.thumb.JPG.496605d44b0b1449810e5a3dd7f295e3.JPG

IMG_7673.thumb.JPG.20bce5f48c4bde97e3fc1b38f7c4316c.JPG

The last thing I wanted to do was clean up the hubcaps before the dark settled in. I'll get to those white walls later.

IMG_7676.thumb.JPG.172d107dd523cb4f50547fcd176cff28.JPG

Three out of the four have come out like this.  Not sure the fourth is going to look this good.

Anyone have a spare trim ring and moon lying around?

IMG_7675.thumb.JPG.8c956d912b8fa872bbc56cebba398112.JPG

Managed to nurse her back to the other driveway and will let her sit till later next week after the contract work is completed.

IMG_7671.thumb.JPG.62651ee802ae38986c7093023587d90e.JPG

I might bite the bullet and arrange to have the differential looked at by RM as I also want to take my seat back from the Limited to their upholstery shop. When I was there asking about the Nash I also inquired if they would be able to re-stuff the seats as the foam has hardened and will eventually start to crumble through the bottom cushions.

When I told them the foam isn't degraded to the point of crumbling as the car hasn't been sat in at all, they said that as long as the material is in good shape then sure, it can be done. 

As my one sister has a habit of saying, "Guess I will have to get into the diamond mine and dig more up".

• Like 2

Just can't catch any breaks right now...

Trying to finish the big job after sitting for almost a year for the right reasons (Covid), taking twice as long to clean up correctly, customer expecting it done overnight and then mixing in a really good customers home/garages for almost 20 years only to get a call from Mom that the contractor doing her sidewalks has broken the outside water tap and it is running full force!!

Put him on the phone Mom.

Explained where the water main shut off was and said I'd be there as soon as I could as I was 20 miles away.

Got there to find them gone, Mom in a fluster and the water was still squirting out.

IMG_7724.thumb.JPG.65bc857c4bee35524adbbcd559faa33a.JPG

Bottom line, the idiot plumber, when he "T'd" into the main line way back, put the tap line shut off in "after" the T so that it shuts off the supply to the whole house and NOT the outside Tap!!

Called a listed plumber who said they'd be there soon and true to his word after looking things over, capped off the T and will be back today to fix and correct things.

Naturally working alone he asked if I would be able to help and save Mom some money.

Sure, it's not like I have cars to fix, car parts to relocate or a house to ready for sale!!

Oh yes, there is that thing about working still for a living...

(Wait till I talk to the contractor for leaving like that!)

The end of 2020 can't come fast enough for me!!

With a lot going on and having seen this:

"OFF TOPIC POSTS MUST STOP"

decided to think about this before posting today.

Have decided that my thread is about "Me" and my "1958 Buick's" and.... (meaning my other cars) so with the risk of having my fingers slapped, will update as of today believing the thread title covers it.

Being pulled in four directions at once right now, doesn't my son call early this morning saying he might have a fellow interested in buying my '52 Ford F-1 and could I send him some pictures?

Nothing ventured, nothing gained so put an email together and off it went.

Received a call about noon asking if he could see the truck Sunday about 1 pm so took and hour to go back to the garage (with the Special) and unearth it a bit more.

Naturally I wiped it down and then put some cleaner to it to hopefully show what it would clean up to once outside.

IMG_7746.thumb.JPG.421c0b5f71973c52dfbbef3fd3e9fdb6.JPG 

With a dead battery and god knows what the gas is like I'm sure if anyone looks at it and NOT interested in a project I'll have to deal with storage for her again.

Hopefully with an extra good engine, good steel fenders, glass running boards and new wiring plus various other parts that will go with it there will be a meeting of the minds.

IMG_7748.thumb.JPG.54d55bf4d53c3320c32a62d31cb9eba9.JPG

• Like 2